What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How important are "Buff ties" to you with the coaching hire?

How important is it that the next HC have CU ties?

• Extremely

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Somewhat (maybe a tiebreaker consideration)

Votes: 41 46.1%
  • Irrelevant

Votes: 37 41.6%

• Total voters

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
I think Buff ties are exceptionally important to most of our fans this time around. Much more important than they usually are to people.

Let's face it. Some of the candidates getting interviewed by CU (McCartney, Embree, Bieniemy, Cabral) are not even near the conversation for any of the other job openings around the country. And a guy like Calhoun, who is getting mentioned for other jobs, is CU enemy #1 on the Buff message boards.

Please vote honestly. And please share why you believe (or don't believe) that an "in the family" hire is important for our next head coach.

existing "Buff ties" to me aren't a major factor.

Embracing the tradition, culture, and reaching out to the Buff family is VERY important for the next HC to do. But it doesn't mean he has to come from that fraternity, IMO.

At this point, I think they should go out and get the best guy that they can for $2 million that we have available. That means not limitiing it to the enemy in CO Springs though as he should not be the best we can do for that kind of money. Ties to CU mean nothing to me in this search.

Here's my take as a Husky fan...

Our beloved "Dawgfather" aka Don James (McCartney for CU) had no ties prior to making UW into a consistent contender. He came from Kent St.

I'm not sure what McCartney's ties may have been...

Though I didn't initially like the hire of Coach Sarkisian due to his lack of experience and ties to the program (i.e. Jim Mora, Jr.), he's turned out to be a great hire so far in terms of recruiting, re-connecting the team to the fanbase, changing expectations with improved strength and conditioning, and a phenomenal job of changing the losing mentality of our players prior to his arrival. My opinion of him changed quickly when I got to see what he was about.

That, said, I view ties to the program as Gravy on top. It's irrelevant, but if a coach has it even better. More important is the hiring of the best coach possible for the job if they truly stand out after the interviews and body of work. Hire the coach most likely to get the Buffs competing for titles quickly and over the long term...

Good poll because there seems to be alot of emphasis on this issue with this hire. I've always felt that "family ties" are very over-rated when it comes to a CU coaching hire, or any college hire for that matter. Plus if you put alot of weight on the family ties, then you're potentially excluding other very viable candidates.

The athletic department is in dire need of an infusion of cash & support. Hiring EB, Mac or even Miles would "keep it in the family" and immediately get Colorado fans, ex-players, season ticket holders & donors on board. You would see increased ticket sales & donations and a sense of excitement would be back in Boulder as CU enters the Pac 12. There are so many 'un-tapped' fans out on the west coast just ready to climb aboard. Keeping it in the family" and CU gets a great shot of connecting with the California alumni.
Hire Calhoun and there's a huge risk that the opposite could happen and you may see lost ticket sales and donations held back.

Here's my take as a Husky fan...

Our beloved "Dawgfather" aka Don James (McCartney for CU) had no ties prior to making UW into a consistent contender. He came from Kent St.

I'm not sure what McCartney's ties may have been...

Though I didn't initially like the hire of Coach Sarkisian due to his lack of experience and ties to the program (i.e. Jim Mora, Jr.), he's turned out to be a great hire so far in terms of recruiting, re-connecting the team to the fanbase, changing expectations with improved strength and conditioning, and a phenomenal job of changing the losing mentality of our players prior to his arrival. My opinion of him changed quickly when I got to see what he was about.

That, said, I view ties to the program as Gravy on top. It's irrelevant, but if a coach has it even better. More important is the hiring of the best coach possible for the job if they truly stand out after the interviews and body of work. Hire the coach most likely to get the Buffs competing for titles quickly and over the long term...

Don James was also on Eddie Crowder's staff and desperately wanted the CU job that went to Bill Mallory.

I don't think its Buff ties people really want. I think it is ties to our glory years. Mac had no ties at all to the Buffs. But he created a winning tradition.

I don't think its Buff ties people really want. I think it is ties to our glory years. Mac had no ties at all to the Buffs. But he created a winning tradition.

Then why does Logan's name come up?

I do agree that the hire needs to respect the tradition and history of the program. Ties are not necessary to create this atmosphere.

The athletic department is in dire need of an infusion of cash & support. Hiring EB, Mac or even Miles would "keep it in the family" and immediately get Colorado fans, ex-players, season ticket holders & donors on board. You would see increased ticket sales & donations and a sense of excitement would be back in Boulder as CU enters the Pac 12. There are so many 'un-tapped' fans out on the west coast just ready to climb aboard. Keeping it in the family" and CU gets a great shot of connecting with the California alumni.
Hire Calhoun and there's a huge risk that the opposite could happen and you may see lost ticket sales and donations held back.

Sure, an "in the family" hire that evokes images of the 1990's glory years would bring "energy" to the program. But if they can't make it successful on the field it could backfire drastically and set us back even further than where we are now.

Winning is all that matters. Donations, tickets, TV games, bowl games, recruits, etc. all come from winning. nothing else.

I don't think a "in the family" hire can backfire, at all.

Hire Bieniemy or McCartney and the cash is going to pour in like rain. There is no negative side effect to that.

Whether they will ultimately win or lose is unknown. I do not think that anyone is going to win next year, be it Bill McCartney, Eric Bieniemy, or Troy Calhoun. The schedule is just that tough. But if you hire someone OUTSIDE the CU family - it's going to take WINS to get the money. Which means you're going to be behind the eight ball even more if you hire Calhoun or someone like that.

It's irrelevant. Look at the current BCS top 25, you will hardly see any school with an alum as HC - Gundy at OSU and Beamer at VT are the only two I can think of.

Hire Bieniemy or McCartney and the cash is going to pour in like rain. There is no negative side effect to that.

Whether they will ultimately win or lose is unknown. I do not think that anyone is going to win next year, be it Bill McCartney, Eric Bieniemy, or Troy Calhoun. The schedule is just that tough. But if you hire someone OUTSIDE the CU family - it's going to take WINS to get the money. Which means you're going to be behind the eight ball even more if you hire Calhoun or someone like that.
BINGO - I agree 100%

Because he's the greatest high school coach in Colorado history and because their are a lot of folks out there who don't know what the hell they are talking about.

:smile2:

Rep

I can't disagree with all of what you say, but I think the "long-term" is much more important than the "short-term".

As you say, next year is going to be brutal anyway. Financially and athletically.

Getting the right CEO to help build a better future is the most important factor. If that means a "family member" then great. I think Mac can do what we need in this capacity. I don't feel that confident about EB or Embree.

A "new blood" CEO with one of those guys as OC would be perfect blend of everything we need, IMO.

Whoever it is I'm just glad to know we can't get much worse than the Hawk years... atleast I hope

School ties mean little unless that person is the best person for the job. Sure, some short money may come in out of the gate, but should the team continue to lose that will dry up fast.

Hire the best person...period.

It's irrelevant. Look at the current BCS top 25, you will hardly see any school with an alum as HC - Gundy at OSU and Beamer at VT are the only two I can think of.

Good point. Wannstedt has also done a decent job at Pitt but nothing spectacular. Marrone is an alum at Syracuse and while they're a far cry from the top 25, they're improving and it appears after 2 seasons that they have a good hire.

Chris Ault at Nevada as well...

So there's a few that went the alumni route:

Ault
Wandstedt
Beamer
Gundy

And some others that didn't:

Meyer
Saban
Tressel
Stoops
Mack Brown
Bielema
Gary Patterson
Chris Petersen
Miles
Petrino
Chip Kelly
Chizik

I prefer the second group. Get the best coach we can afford, and even stretch if we have to. CU can't let a few hundred thousand dollars prevent us from getting the best coach we can.

Tremendously if they can keep CU from hiring Houston Nutt. An interesting name is Ault at NV. What's the deal with not really looking at him? He might be older but I could see him as being a good hire.

Not important to me at all. Get the best guy for the job. If EB wasn't an alum, he doesn't even get consideration for the job.

In the family brings cash and instant booster/fan support/interest. Even if the coach fails, the program will be better off.

Conceptually, I do not think in the family should be a consideration, but for our current situation, I think it matters quite a bit.

Back