What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How long do you give THIS staff?

This staff has _____ to get the job done or they need to go.

• A lifetime. Win or lose these guys are family and I'm a die hard.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • 8 years

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 7 Years

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 6 Years

• 5 Years

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • 4 Years

Votes: 39 36.1%
  • 3 Years

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • 2 Years

• 1 Year - Hate the new staff/I'm a Tard.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I only want to give them three years, but that wouldn't be fair. You have to give Jon four years. JMHO.
That is what I am giving them, but I want, more than anything else, to see year over year development by a majority of our players. Players rarely, if ever, got better while HaLk was coaching here. The secondary under Brown and Solder are the bright spots against a dark dark background. Players' fundamentals never improved, and we had the same problems year after year. If we lose more games next year than we do this year, but we see a bunch of young guys really start to figure it out towards the end of the year, well, I will be happy.

Two things would curb my enthusiasm.

1) On field embarrassment - wrong side of blow-outs, dumb penalties, poor coaching decisions, questionable personnel choices - like unnecessarily burning red shirts, changing positions mid course...

2) Off-field issues that are embarrassing; Run ins with the law, NCAA violations, poor academic performance & contentious relationships with the Dean/Regents

Absent problems in those areas, I'm not on a clock. These coaches are Buff family and have my support.

I'm with Skiddy, should see these qualities right off the bat if we have the right staff.

Little early don't ya think?

I voted 4, but pretty much have to be in a bowl game by year 3 or this thing likely will never get off the ground as recruiting won't be where it needs to be. Don't even want to think about the 'what if' of this staff failing. Then we truly would be another Wazzu..

At least five years. I expect us to be better this year, despite tough schedule but next year is going to be rough. It's going to take some time and the program needs to be strengthened by showing that this is considered a long term deal.

The only way I would change my mind is if the team quits or looks like they did the past two seasons playing under Hawkins.

3 year win total at or around .500, along with skiddy's CYE qualifications. play tough on the road, team does what the coaches say they are going to do: like run the ball effectively. the disconnect between the new, downhill run game and physicality boasted by the coaches (after the one-year "hurry up")....that resulted in the CSU game at Folsom and Toledo...it was like a prank or something. more simply put, the coaching staff has credibility in what they say/do.

Don't even want to think about the 'what if' of this staff failing. Then we truly would be another Wazzu..

If we were still in the Big 12, I'd agree. With the move to the Pac 12, and the mountain of money that will come with it, I'm not convinced. The next contract we give to a head coach, whether it's Embree or somebody else, will be much bigger than the last one. We can afford (if we need to) a bigger name coach. The dark days of CU football are nearly at an end.

If we were still in the Big 12, I'd agree. With the move to the Pac 12, and the mountain of money that will come with it, I'm not convinced. The next contract we give to a head coach, whether it's Embree or somebody else, will be much bigger than the last one. We can afford (if we need to) a bigger name coach. The dark days of CU football are nearly at an end.

quoth the Raven nevermore...

Failure to close games out in the 4th quarter, finishing the majority of our games with more yards penalized than the opponent and turnover margin will be things I'll look at in how effectively disciplined this team is. A favorable showing in those should tell me they are improving without having to even reference the win-loss record.

I would like to see consecutive bowl appearances by year 4, and by the end of year 4 we should at minimum have finished a regular season with a share of the South division. I would like to see less attrition due to grades and criminal activity and more often than not I'd like the consensus with transfers be that a player was fairly beaten out at a position and is seeking opportunities elsewhere, not buried on the depth chart because of Maccu Pichu philosophical differences with the staff.

Little early don't ya think?

I voted 4, but pretty much have to be in a bowl game by year 3 or this thing likely will never get off the ground as recruiting won't be where it needs to be. Don't even want to think about the 'what if' of this staff failing. Then we truly would be another Wazzu..

I hate that thought myself but we cannot afford another five years like we had with Hawk. I think that is less likely to happen due to the background of the coaching staff in place.

They need to show progress this year and every year. But you have a decision to make at 4 years. If after 4 years they haven't reached some level of success ( definable) then out they go. My definition is winning a second bowl game four years from now

I hope so. But then again, that means the dark days for Wazzu must be nearly at an end then too :lol:

1 game, lose to hawaii and it's CURTAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I'd give them 3-4 years. CU should be in bowls and competing for pac12 south title by then.

3-4 years. 2012 will be a step back after losing so many seniors so more likely four years for me.

3 years we need to see some evidence of improvement.

This year will probably get pretty ugly so they need to get the job done recruiting behind the 8 ball.

Two things would curb my enthusiasm.

1) On field embarrassment - wrong side of blow-outs, dumb penalties, poor coaching decisions, questionable personnel choices - like unnecessarily burning red shirts, changing positions mid course...

2) Off-field issues that are embarrassing; Run ins with the law, NCAA violations, poor academic performance & contentious relationships with the Dean/Regents

Absent problems in those areas, I'm not on a clock. These coaches are Buff family and have my support.

I'd say this is a pretty...pretty...pretty...pretty good assessment.

5 years, but that's assuming we're making bowl games by years 3 and 4. Progress must be shown. No 3-9 seasons when you're 4 years in.

i am at 5 years. that is mostly based upon how many seniors they are losing this year. next year will be much more of a rebuilding year than even this one. this year is so important to sell the program to recruits because next year will be butt ugly.

top to bottom, this is a worse situation than what hawk got and hawk didnt improve what he was given.

now, if we are watching the same ol stale football 3 years from now, i could say four. however, if there is noticible improvment in the quality of play and the progress of the program, i will be okay with 5.

what i want to see with these five years is a dramatic improment in recruiting, 2 or 3 bowl games and a win or two, consistancy in play and a definite record of steady improvment year over year. sans year two. next year is just going to be awful.

Given the lack of job security for assistant coaches at CU, the 'Staff' may look very different after year 2 or 3. Embo and Cabral won't defect and Kanavis and Brown will probably stay if there is overall improvement. I'm not convinced EB is in this for the long term. If he is successful as an OC, he will have opportunities for advancement in both the college and pros. If he sucks, he can fall back to an NFL position coach where he did well.

4 years is my choice. The metrics for success could be all over the map but if AB posters give a thumbs down after year 3 or 4, we should move on. The only metric that matters. (most of) You guys really know your ****! :thumbsup:

BB, 'sinthe, Rralph 3000, Sacky, 'Leash, BuffLuke, CVilleBuff, Mick, aik, 'syko, 'Tini, White Rabbit, 4dem, and fervor.

You all reference a 3 year point, but give him longer. If he does X, then 4 or 5. I hope you all voted 3. Is it safe to say 3 and a bowl game? Just trying to get some real commitment.

I have always been of the opinion five years is the benchmark. You can adjust it downward if you get a true turd in the punchbowl (yes, D II, I am looking at you), on the average, I say you give a staff five eyars to implement their system and recruit to it. Along the way you should see signs of life (i.e. wins). If you have a guy who can't find his fanny with two hands and a flashlight, it is OK to pull the trigger earlier (and yes, again, I refer to the HaLk).

I have always been of the opinion five years is the benchmark. You can adjust it downward if you get a true turd in the punchbowl (yes, D II, I am looking at you), on the average, I say you give a staff five eyars to implement their system and recruit to it. Along the way you should see signs of life (i.e. wins). If you have a guy who can't find his fanny with two hands and a flashlight, it is OK to pull the trigger earlier (and yes, again, I refer to the HaLk).
Define "turd".

3 years. It'll be evident by then if Embree's taking us in the right direction. If he's not, then ****can him.

BB, 'sinthe, Rralph 3000, Sacky, 'Leash, BuffLuke, CVilleBuff, Mick, aik, 'syko, 'Tini, White Rabbit, 4dem, and fervor.

You all reference a 3 year point, but give him longer. If he does X, then 4 or 5. I hope you all voted 3. Is it safe to say 3 and a bowl game? Just trying to get some real commitment.

:sad1:

i took the question to mean when "I" would begin to wane on the staff....less so much thinking through the eyes of the AD and when i'd can a coach. in our case, if by year 3 the jury is still out on Embree....I think Mike B. would be on a warm seat too. so, that's how i answered. from my personal perspective *as a fan*, i'll give these guys benefit of the doubt and consider the broader context (a big senior class that's never been winners and then replacing them in 2012), inheriting the post-Hawk fart smell all around the program (that just gets more absurd in hindsight), and some tough schedules coming up.

i'm still on board if JE and Co. have put together 3 seasons and are about or at least .500 total W-L and possibly a bowl along the way....are pulling top 35 type classes...i'm probably still happy. less than that, then i'm thinking it's time to reconsider where we are.

I will be extremely pissed at every game we lose just like I have been my entire life, except of course for last year when I was too drunk to know what losing was.

Back