What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How many scholarships do we have for 2013?

OK, this is getting ridiculous. The men can have 13 scholarships. As of this exact moment, assuming no attrition or redshirts over the next five years, this is what we're looking at:

2011-12 season -- 12 on scholarship (including Chen)
2012-13 season -- 13 on scholarship (including Chen)
2013-14 season -- 12 on scholarship
2014-15 season -- 7 on scholarship
2015-16 season -- 5 on scholarship

We will have 1 scholarship to give for the class of 2013. If there is attrition, then we'll have more, but we have at LEAST one scholarship for the class of 2013.

EDIT -- BTW, Snow made a great table for analyzing our roster. Rep him for it.

Perhaps if you'd just said that to begin with, it wouldn't have gotten so ridiculous. Just sayin'.

And rep Snow? phssshhh. Puh-lease.

Should have been more clear. The ridiculous comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, but more of the fact that this thread was turning in to a Three Stooges skit.

no disrespect to sabeteno because i appreciate his effort and brains, but lets be real, he is not deserving of a scholarship. With CU making a big splash in basketball, those scholarships should be extremely valued. We have some serious talent that are on our radar and I think that we should not handcuff ourselves by only having one scholarship. Anyone else have thoughts?
not sure what side i'm on this one, but is chen any less deserving of a schollie than say sharpe, mills or ekloff?

OK, this is getting ridiculous. The men can have 13 scholarships. As of this exact moment, assuming no attrition or redshirts over the next five years, this is what we're looking at:

2011-12 season -- 12 on scholarship (including Chen)
2012-13 season -- 13 on scholarship (including Chen)
2013-14 season -- 12 on scholarship
2014-15 season -- 7 on scholarship
2015-16 season -- 5 on scholarship

We will have 1 scholarship to give for the class of 2013. If there is attrition, then we'll have more, but we have at LEAST one scholarship for the class of 2013.

EDIT -- BTW, Snow made a great table for analyzing our roster. Rep him for it.

now if i remember correctly, w/ bzdelik leaving and some players that year... did cu lose any due to grades or transfers? is 13 the max or 14, just asking...

not sure what side i'm on this one, but is chen any less deserving of a schollie than say sharpe, mills or ekloff?
It is an interesting discussion to be had about college sports. Chen has a defined role and puts in minutes every game. The others haven't played anything but garbage minutes. Who is more deserving, the kid who did well in high school to get a scholarship or the one who continues to work and provides something for the team.
Another flaw with the NCAA...

It is not about who deserves it, it is about the fact that Chen came to CU as part of an agreement about his scholarship.

It is an interesting discussion to be had about college sports. Chen has a defined role and puts in minutes every game. The others haven't played anything but garbage minutes. Who is more deserving, the kid who did well in high school to get a scholarship or the one who continues to work and provides something for the team.
Another flaw with the NCAA...

good point on the ncaa rules.... maybe lets make a poll of it... should it be a fixed 4yr scholarship or year to year based on educational, athletic and citizenship merits? and just as some kids(walk ons ) could be late bloomers(look at the ranks transferring from prep/juco schools) there are top talent that once they get to D1 start to coast or go backwards... interesting topic for discussion and I'm sure there's an excellent example for every scenarion....

Coach Boyle has been very straight with the Chen family. As I understand it, the deal was that if Sabatino transferred to CU he would be a walk on unless the program had a scholarship open for any particular year he was here. The last 2 years, we have had one available and he has been on scholarship. They understand it is a year-to-year thing.

For the record, this is multiple sources but not direct knowledge. It could be wrong, but I trust the info.

In Thorburn's Chat today, no surprise Buffnik appears to be spot on

Q) Is Sabatino Chen on scholarship this year, and will he be on scholarship next year?

A) Ryan Thorburn: Yes and maybe.

In Thorburn's Chat today, no surprise Buffnik appears to be spot on

Q) Is Sabatino Chen on scholarship this year, and will he be on scholarship next year?

A) Ryan Thorburn: Yes and maybe.

interesting. we might have two scholarships to give if Chen doesn't get another one. He is in-state tuition so it wouldn't be that bad financially and although I think he deserves one, if we can get two top 100 players for next year, we have to take them both.

interesting. we might have two scholarships to give if Chen doesn't get another one. He is in-state tuition so it wouldn't be that bad financially and although I think he deserves one, if we can get two top 100 players for next year, we have to take them both.

Chen won't affect the counts for 2013 AT ALL. He's a junior this year. He'll be gone by the time the 2013 class hits campus. The only way we'll have 2 (or more) scholarships for 2013 is attrition in the current Freshmen or Sophomore classes.

Chen won't affect the counts for 2013 AT ALL. He's a junior this year. He'll be gone by the time the 2013 class hits campus. The only way we'll have 2 (or more) scholarships for 2013 is attrition in the current Freshmen or Sophomore classes.

I get what you're saying here, but if that's the case, then why would his status for next year be in doubt? Are we still considering taking on another player in the '12 class?

Isn't one of our incoming guys in danger of not qualifying? I thought I'd heard that somewhere.

Switching gears a bit - but does Cain leaving the program open up another scholarship? I would think it would. Maybe that's already accounted for in the numbers above? Sorry for the obtusity.

Switching gears a bit - but does Cain leaving the program open up another scholarship? I would think it would. Maybe that's already accounted for in the numbers above? Sorry for the obtusity.

Nope. The numbers above account for his opening up.

I get what you're saying here, but if that's the case, then why would his status for next year be in doubt? Are we still considering taking on another player in the '12 class?

I'd be shocked if they took a 6th player in this year's class, but you never know. Another top-100 player would be tough to pass up. My money's on the staff giving Chen that scholarship for 2012, essentially keeping the spot warm for the 2013 class. That's why I don't understand some of the criticism of Chen and the fact that he's likely to be on scholarship. It's in the program's best interest to have a spot or two available in 2013, and Chen is an easy way to get that, while rewarding a guy who's working hard and making a contribution on the floor.

I'd be shocked if they took a 6th player in this year's class, but you never know. Another top-100 player would be tough to pass up. My money's on the staff giving Chen that scholarship for 2012, essentially keeping the spot warm for the 2013 class. That's why I don't understand some of the criticism of Chen and the fact that he's likely to be on scholarship. It's in the program's best interest to have a spot or two available in 2013, and Chen is an easy way to get that, while rewarding a guy who's working hard and making a contribution on the floor.

As has been pointed out, Chen's status has no impact on the 2013 class. I really doubt there are any kids that we'd take at this juncture that would make a difference in the 2012 class. The question has been answered - we have one scholarship to give, which is essentially Cain's. We can use it this year, but probably won't. That will make things pretty challenging next year. With only one to give, who gets it?

On the topic of attrition, is there any guesses out there about who would be one to leave? I would guess Sharp would be a contender?

On the topic of attrition, is there any guesses out there about who would be one to leave? I would guess Sharp would be a contender?
I'm sure 'nik or Goose have more insight on this (and may or may not be able to share) but virtually anyone in that sophomore class could be a candidate.

As has been pointed out, Chen's status has no impact on the 2013 class. I really doubt there are any kids that we'd take at this juncture that would make a difference in the 2012 class. The question has been answered - we have one scholarship to give, which is essentially Cain's. We can use it this year, but probably won't. That will make things pretty challenging next year. With only one to give, who gets it?
Hopefully Hopkins or Hamilton. And I'd love to see another slot open up somehow so they could take both Hopkins and Jones.

just thinking out loud, w/ another year under his belt, and tomlinson graduating, wouldn't sharpe be a logical back up to dinwiddie next year?

just thinking out loud, w/ another year under his belt, and tomlinson graduating, wouldn't sharpe be a logical back up to dinwiddie next year?
Depends on the progress of guys like Xavier Talton. I would guess Sharpe is the favorite for a backup position, but his progressions haven't been great.

Depends on the progress of guys like Xavier Talton. I would guess Sharpe is the favorite for a backup position, but his progressions haven't been great.

Sharpe is the likely option, tough for frosh pg's to come in and run the offense.

"Our bench was great," Boyle said. "Shannon Sharpe has really been practicing well, and I wanted to get him some minutes tonight."

Sharpe did not score, but CU had already done most of its damage early in the second half with a 20-2 run.

Between Roberson's NBA chances, and the fact that Sharpe is currently in his 4th year of college and Tunks is in his 3rd, theres a good chance at least one more spot will be open. I personally don't see Sharpe hanging around for a 6th year of school.

Between Roberson's NBA chances, and the fact that Sharpe is currently in his 4th year of college and Tunks is in his 3rd, theres a good chance at least one more spot will be open. I personally don't see Sharpe hanging around for a 6th year of school.

Roberson would be stupid to go to the NBA after this season.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Eckloff and/or Mills leave. Eckloff doesn't get much court time and I have heard that he is serious about his studies. He may just want to drop BB and focus on his last year or two academically, a pro career is not in his future in any way. Mills I think actually has some potential but he is a bad fit for what Tad is trying to do here and isn't going to get a lot of time to develop. With Scott and Gordon coming in next year his chances for playing down will likely go down, especially since I keep hearing that both have grown past what is reported in their profiles. If they come in 6'9" or 6'10" Mills will never see the floor other than garbage time. With him still having his RS year he could transfer to a mid-major with a system that fits him and be a part a significant player.

I don't se SHT leaving. Despite the dislike for him lots here have if Tad didn't like him he wouldn't be on the floor. He could see a reduction in time with the FR coming in next year but I don't see him going anywhere until he has used his eligibility up.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Eckloff and/or Mills leave. Eckloff doesn't get much court time and I have heard that he is serious about his studies. He may just want to drop BB and focus on his last year or two academically, a pro career is not in his future in any way. Mills I think actually has some potential but he is a bad fit for what Tad is trying to do here and isn't going to get a lot of time to develop. With Scott and Gordon coming in next year his chances for playing down will likely go down, especially since I keep hearing that both have grown past what is reported in their profiles. If they come in 6'9" or 6'10" Mills will never see the floor other than garbage time. With him still having his RS year he could transfer to a mid-major with a system that fits him and be a part a significant player.

I don't se SHT leaving. Despite the dislike for him lots here have if Tad didn't like him he wouldn't be on the floor. He could see a reduction in time with the FR coming in next year but I don't see him going anywhere until he has used his eligibility up.
Eckloff is graduating and in his final year of eligibility. He is leaving, for sure, this year. We know that.

Back