What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How many wins for 2015 CU Football?

How many regular season wins (13 games)

• Total voters
In all reality, we have a good shot in all of our games, sans USC, Oregon, and ASU. I think we get Zona in boulder.

Oregon.

Does Mariota come back? Who plays behind him? Is this not the first year in Helfrichs term where most of the kids are his and most of Chips player exit? Im not saying were likly to win. But Oregon could have an off year next season.

Oregon.

Does Mariota come back? Who plays behind him? Is this not the first year in Helfrichs term where most of the kids are his and most of Chips player exit? Im not saying were likly to win. But Oregon could have an off year next season.

Oregon has consistently replaced quarterbacks throughout the years so I wouldn't expect a huge drop off. I would still expect them to be in the top 20.

Oregon has consistently replaced quarterbacks throughout the years so I wouldn't expect a huge drop off. I would still expect them to be in the top 20.
But they've never had a guy like Mariota and I don't think Helfrich is anywhere near the coaches that Kelly or Bellotti were. We will see...

But they've never had a guy like Mariota and I don't think Helfrich is anywhere near the coaches that Kelly or Bellotti were. We will see...

The could give it to their running backs 60 times a game and win 11 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The could give it to their running backs 60 times a game and win 11 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Freeman is a baller, but Mariota is absolutely amazing at running the read option. I think the threat that he posed running the ball really opened up the running lanes inside. He's good, but I don't think a RB can carry a team to 11 wins in the Pac 12.

Not sure what you mean by forever, maybe this just seems like forever. You're welcome to your opinion and I applaud your fandom, but don't claim realism. This is real (road conference games)

Zbuff: You know what all those years have had in common? Hawkin's and Embree's recruits and coaching. Enough said. This is a new era at CU and the difference in attitude, effort, and coaching is astonishing.

Lose big, lose small, win small, win big. That is the 4 year rebuilding process and we are exactly on pace after 2 years under this staff. Next year is a huge turning point for this program and getting a couple road wins is very possible.

Freeman is a baller, but Mariota is absolutely amazing at running the read option. I think the threat that he posed running the ball really opened up the running lanes inside. He's good, but I don't think a RB can carry a team to 11 wins in the Pac 12.

Truth. After sweeping the regular season and winning the championship game, you're still one agonizing win away...

Zbuff: You know what all those years have had in common? Hawkin's and Embree's recruits and coaching. Enough said. This is a new era at CU and the difference in attitude, effort, and coaching is astonishing.

Lose big, lose small, win small, win big. That is the 4 year rebuilding process and we are exactly on pace after 2 years under this staff. Next year is a huge turning point for this program and getting a couple road wins is very possible.
Those are 4 stages, not necessarily 4 years. Don't be surprised if it there are subtle transitions from stage to stage as opposed to black and white ones.

Those are 4 stages, not necessarily 4 years. Don't be surprised if it there are subtle transitions from stage to stage as opposed to black and white ones.

Those 4 stages are supposed to be looked at over a 4 year time period because that's how long a college staff generally has to turn a program around. And, like we saw this year, CU is definitely in "stage 2" of those 4 stages after just 2 years. Would anyone argue that next year SHOULD be the "win small" stage? The games like Cal, OSU, Utah, UCLA and even CSU from this year that were all "small" losses need to be at least "small" wins next year.

I believe HCMM and his staff will get more than 4 years to fully turn this program around, but by year 4 or 5, they should at least be competitive with the upper tier teams.

Says who. You? Objectively, this new coach with less pedigree than Hawkins has lost more games than Hawkins and Embree, and whose recruiting is ranked below both Hawkins and Embree across most services. The fans don't see this new era either. Attendance is the lowest in 25 years. Not Hawkins. Not Embree. But MacIntyre. I'm tired of this tripe. If you think 1-17 is an accomplishment you deserve this trash we are seeing.

Says who. You? Objectively, this new coach with less pedigree than Hawkins has lost more games than Hawkins and Embree, and whose recruiting is ranked below both Hawkins and Embree across most services. The fans don't see this new era either. Attendance is the lowest in 25 years. Not Hawkins. Not Embree. But MacIntyre. I'm tired of this tripe. If you think 1-17 is an accomplishment you deserve this trash we are seeing.

What pedigree did Hawkins have? Taking over an already successful program once Dirk Koetter left, maintaining it and then leaving Chris Peterson to have MORE success than he had? All the while, coming to CU and completely ruining the program with his WAC recruiting, horrible game planning, lack of discipline, and destroying the tradition of CU football? Embree, God love him, was a hire to appease the "Buff For Life" group and former players. He was in WAY over his head and it showed getting completely blown out in almost every game. Mac and his staff turned around an abysmal San Jose State team and in 3 years took them to 10-2 and a top 25 program. So GTFO of here with the pedigree crap. Improvement in everything you highlighted doesn't always translate to Wins on the field, but if you can't see the strides this team has taken the past 2 years, you're just not paying attention. They took over the biggest and toughest rebuild in the country and are building the foundation for success in the future.

Those 4 stages are supposed to be looked at over a 4 year time period because that's how long a college staff generally has to turn a program around. And, like we saw this year, CU is definitely in "stage 2" of those 4 stages after just 2 years. Would anyone argue that next year SHOULD be the "win small" stage? The games like Cal, OSU, Utah, UCLA and even CSU from this year that were all "small" losses need to be at least "small" wins next year.

I believe HCMM and his staff will get more than 4 years to fully turn this program around, but by year 4 or 5, they should at least be competitive with the upper tier teams.
You can count the number of times in the past 20 years that a staff has taken a team as far in the ****ter as CU was and moved them to "win big" in 4 years on one or two hands. It would be the exception, not the rule.

You can count the number of times in the past 20 years that a staff has taken a team as far in the ****ter as CU was and moved them to "win big" in 4 years on one or two hands. It would be the exception, not the rule.

I didn't say it was a rule or that it always happens. It's how a rebuild (if it's a good rebuild) with a new staff typically works. It goes smoother at bigger programs such as Alabama (ala Nick Saban era) but is the general idea at any program. I'm not saying in HCMM's 4th year this team will be blowing Oregon out or anything even remotely close. What I'm saying is that the staff is making progress where they are moving away from the "losing big" stage of year 1 (and basically every year since we've been in the P12), and are now competing with just about every team they play. Hopefully they start making their own luck in year 3 and winning those close games they lost this year. Then, in year 4, hopefully they are talented enough across the board to compete with Oregon and USC and handily beat the Utahs, WSU, OSU Cals, etc. That's all that "expression" means.

I didn't say it was a rule or that it always happens. It's how a rebuild (if it's a good rebuild) with a new staff typically works. It goes smoother at bigger programs such as Alabama (ala Nick Saban era) but is the general idea at any program. I'm not saying in HCMM's 4th year this team will be blowing Oregon out or anything even remotely close. What I'm saying is that the staff is making progress where they are moving away from the "losing big" stage of year 1 (and basically every year since we've been in the P12), and are now competing with just about every team they play. Hopefully they start making their own luck in year 3 and winning those close games they lost this year. Then, in year 4, hopefully they are talented enough across the board to compete with Oregon and USC and handily beat the Utahs, WSU, OSU Cals, etc. That's all that "expression" means.
We are close to being on the same page, except I doubt we are "handily beating" UU, WSU, OSU, etc. by year 4. Those games could still go either way, IMO, based on what we see from them today and how much I anticipate us improving in the next two seasons.

I do agree the blowouts need to be over by year 4. Sooooo tired of that.

We are close to being on the same page, except I doubt we are "handily beating" UU, WSU, OSU, etc. by year 4. Those games could still go either way, IMO, based on what we see from them today and how much I anticipate us improving in the next two seasons.

I do agree the blowouts need to be over by year 4. Sooooo tired of that.

Yeah I'm with you and I'm not saying we'll be a top tier team by year 4, but I'd hope to be a middle tier team in the P12 that is favored in 4-5 conference games instead of double digit underdogs in all of them.

I think most level-headed Buff fans can agree that, even though it didn't show in the W/L column this year, this team looked better than any CU team over the past 4-5 years. Would you (and anyone else reading this) agree with that statement?

Huh? The last 2 years weren't Hawkins and Embree coaching, and MM has only had one year of recruiting - his first year he honored all of Embree's recruits, bringing in only a couple of his own guys. But like I said, it felt like improvement this year even if the stats don't show it. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I think we have a longer turnaround than you and others believe.

Yeah I'm with you and I'm not saying we'll be a top tier team by year 4, but I'd hope to be a middle tier team in the P12 that is favored in 4-5 conference games instead of double digit underdogs in all of them.

I think most level-headed Buff fans can agree that, even though it didn't show in the W/L column this year, this team looked better than any CU team over the past 4-5 years. Would you (and anyone else reading this) agree with that statement?
Leading this argument may constitute half my posts in the last 90 days. Absolutely agree.

I also agree with the first part. Where I took exception is that my definition of "win big" would be what CU did in 89-97 and again in 2000-2001. I consider the "win big" stage to be when the lower level teams are blowouts by halftime, the mid-level teams are virtual locks on wins, and the Top 15 teams in the country are coin flip games. I don't see us getting there by 2016. We need a completely level of recruiting to get back to that type of sustained excellence.

I'm on board. Completely. Used to be embarrassed to chat about the team's play, the scores, etc... this year, however, I would still talk. I started getting excited during the 4 week span from Cal to UCLA. Yes, one very ugly loss. The other three, we were ahead/behind/fought back. Last year, that simply would not have happened. That Cal game never goes to OT after they reeled of 21 in the 3rd. Down 17-7 @ OSU, last year would have been about 41-14 final. And UCLA? Scoring 17 in the 4th while keeping them to 0? Last year... hahahahaha. Yeah, sure...

As a ton of people have said in here, we are not world beaters. We are still at the bottom rung. We have, for the first time in many years, taken that first step up the ladder. We are missing a few pieces, yes. My main thought is that WINNING breeds WINNING. Once we start getting the craptacular inane losses over and done with, which I think we are tightening the reigns in on, it will start coming together.

The staff have brought a different atmosphere and attitude here. It's a great change.

I'm on board. Completely. Used to be embarrassed to chat about the team's play, the scores, etc... this year, however, I would still talk. I started getting excited during the 4 week span from Cal to UCLA. Yes, one very ugly loss. The other three, we were ahead/behind/fought back. Last year, that simply would not have happened. That Cal game never goes to OT after they reeled of 21 in the 3rd. Down 17-7 @ OSU, last year would have been about 41-14 final. And UCLA? Scoring 17 in the 4th while keeping them to 0? Last year... hahahahaha. Yeah, sure...

As a ton of people have said in here, we are not world beaters. We are still at the bottom rung. We have, for the first time in many years, taken that first step up the ladder. We are missing a few pieces, yes. My main thought is that WINNING breeds WINNING. Once we start getting the craptacular inane losses over and done with, which I think we are tightening the reigns in on, it will start coming together.

The staff have brought a different atmosphere and attitude here. It's a great change.

I couldn't agree more. Extremely well said.

Moral victories are very exciting.

Moral victories suck,

But they beat absolute embarassment by a mile.

After the Kansas game, Fresno, Sac State, almost the entire PAC schedule of 2012, the Mizzouri disasters, etc. etc. etc. moral victories are a big step up.

We have got to start winning games but at least we have reason now to think that wins are a possibility in the near future. In recent years our only question was if it was possible to get any worse, and the answer was probably not.

I really think the CSU game irreparably damaged the team's psyche for the year. They keep the lead and win that one, UCLA, OSU, and Cal are wins.

Back