What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How much does giving JE 2 years affect our coaching pool?

slider

Hasta la Viska
Club Member
What do you guys think? I think some more inexperienced coaches (Wilcox and other coordinators) might be a little more hesitant to listen now.

Also, Bohn seems to be teetering on lame duck status but will still likely make the next hire. Does Bohn last all the way through the next coaches tenure?

Not one bit. We were historically horrible in 2012. Not just for CU, but for all of BCS football.

To quote Matt McChesney. This is America. If you throw money at a problem, the problem goes away.

What do you guys think? I think some more inexperienced coaches (Wilcox and other coordinators) might be a little more hesitant to listen now.

Also, Bohn seems to be teetering on lame duck status but will still likely make the next hire. Does Bohn last all the way through the next coaches tenure?
None. I think any coach understands they'd get fired if they were the worst team in the FBS. I think us being so bad helps a bit...a competent coach can come in and win 4-5 next year and look like a genius.

Completely disagree that it doesn't affect it. Coaching circles are small. Bohn has a history of telling coaches the week of their final game that they will definitely be back for the next year, and then turing around to fire them on the very next Sunday (he did this with both Barnett and Embree). The trajectory of the football program has declined steadily during his tenure, and he has to be looking at potentially his last hire. How could any coach worth his salt feel like he can trust a guy that has a history of lying to someone with which he should have an professionally open relationship, especially when he might be acting out of desperation to save his own ass. Not to mention that CU is absolutely abysmal with its financial support of athletics, and providing FB coaches with the necessary tools to succeed in todays day and age.

Completely disagree that it doesn't affect it. Coaching circles are small. Bohn has a history of telling coaches the week of their final game that they will definitely be back for the next year, and then turing around to fire them on the very next Sunday (he did this with both Barnett and Embree). The trajectory of the football program has declined steadily during his tenure, and he has to be looking at potentially his last hire. How could any coach worth his salt feel like he can trust a guy that has a history of lying to someone with which he should have an professionally open relationship, especially when he might be acting out of desperation to save his own ass. Not to mention that CU is absolutely abysmal with its financial support of athletics, and providing FB coaches with the necessary tools to succeed in todays day and age.

This happens everywhere. It happened at Tennessee a few weeks ago. It happens on the other side of the ball, too - when a coach leaves to take a job someplace else, he rarely tells his boss about it until he is 100% sure he is leaving.

Well, it increased it from 1. We were looking at a complete re-start from Embree (new offense, new defense). So I look at it as going a different direction than re-hiring Jon Embree for his new vision. The coaching candidate pool was exponentially increased by this move.

Well, it increased it from 1. We were looking at a complete re-start from Embree (new offense, new defense). So I look at it as going a different direction than re-hiring Jon Embree for his new vision. The coaching candidate pool was exponentially increased by this move.
Exactly, for the first time in Bohn's tenure he has the financial ability to hold a true national coaching search. All of his hires up to this point have either had financial restrictions and/or "moral" restrictions. That being said, this will most likely make or break him as A.D.

This is like Christmas. I was reserved in the fact that Embree would likely be kept as coach by a flaccid AD without the balls to make a power move. I fully expected to see Embree fired mid-season after another failed year.

We Buff fans needed this! I can't wait to see what happens. Our recruiting class will only get better!

This program should be attractive to a big name coach. We have good young talent to build from. Hirsch and Dillon at QB doesn't hurt. I'll credit Embree for getting a couple decent classes in here who have contributed early. I'm very interested to see what a new coach does with our recruiting class which seemed to be falling apart. Parsons is likely impressed by this move. We need to repair our in-state recruiting ASAP.

None. How much of the next guys contract is gaurenteed. Thats what matters, not that JE was fired after 2 years.

None - they know what the profession they have chosen means. especially if they have been an assistant for a while

I disagree that Bohn is teetering on lame duck status. This move tells me he's on solid footing. Now, if his next football hire is a disaster, then he's ****ed, but that's to be expected. I can't imagine a situation where Bohn would get ****canned and the FB coach would stay. It's not like Bohn has been incompetent in non-football matters.

I think "giving a bad coach only 2 years" has a HUGE impact on the coaching pool. "Do-Nothings need not apply - we know the difference between Good and Bad Coaching."

Like hanging the coyote on the fence-post, this sends a clear and GOOD message for CU Football.

Lots of questions in my mind. But, any decent coach worth having is going to look at JEs numbers, look at the poor management on offense, look at the talent, and conclude that firing him was not unreasonable. This team should have won 3 games at the minimum imho. Were not as bad as some would suggest. JE can say all he wants that he was set up to fail but I think it had more to do with his inexperience coupled with a less than ideal situation to step into.

The bigger question a prospect has to ask himself is what kind of money can I expect for myself and for my assistants as well as digging deep on what kind of restrictions/limitations will placed on recruits entry. Id certainly make the broader point during the interview of 'hows that limitation on the admissions window working out for you?' and what to hear what they say. We are clearly desperate or approaching desperate so my thinking would demand a higher level commitment from the admin to make sure kids I recruit can get in in so much that the standards are equal to our conference peers. If they are not then Id like to know which program were supposed to emulate. Then take the job or walk out.

No big name with past success is going to tolerate any meddeling. Maybe thats way McElwain walked when we were talking to him. So, we might have to suck it up again and accept a less than ideal coach, an up and comer of some kind, or someone moving from the mids as a HC to the BCS level conference. Personally, I hope we pluck said candidate this time from an established and successful coaching tree (Saban, Tressel, Stoops, Miles, etc)

Last edited:
I think some of you guys are underestimating the power of the "coaching fraternity." These guys talk to each other and share experiences. Our coaching pool is not infinite. Some of the guys we are calling have no doubt heard CU be badmouthed by former coaches. There are also those who still feel that we wronged Barnett. It is not a secret that the Admin has not supported football in the past. We have some serious football PR issues. We are really going to have to make an unprecedented (for us) pitch, that includes facilities, and a huge contract.

Everything is relative. In a vacuum, the fact that Embree only got 2 years is a huge negative. But coaches understand that nobody is ever going to get the patience that McCartney got at CU in the early 80's, or Bill Snyder got at KSU for that matter. No matter where you go, 4-21 means a pink slip. So coaches can hardly penalize us for being no more impatient then anybody else.

Of course, up till now, we have allowed the impatient schools to outbid us for coaches and outbuild us in facilities. If that changes, we should be fine. But if we continue to wait until we have a winning program before we are willing to do the things that winning programs HAVE to do in today's environment to be successful (i.e. build reasonable competitive facilities and pay competitive salaries) then we will keep spinning our wheels.

In other words, we have to get the ground broken on the indoor facility in the next 2 years, we have to get the bonds paid off on the luxury boxes (which would free up 3 million a year) to pay much better salaries up and down the entire football staff, we have to get the Balch pressbox/buff club side renovated, etc. We have chosen the "win now or else" tune. Now somebody has to pay the piper.

not much if anything. lack of a further facilities announcement and other $$$ by the AD and lack of assistant multi-year deals is probably more hurtful. hopefully we get the facilities and $$$ announced. requires statehouse to fix the other.

I don't think this isn't a bad thing...getting our rears kicked in conference games where you are more familiar with the opponents is simply unacceptable. I can stomach losing if the team has a chance to win football games...when was the last time that we could actually expect our team to win football games?

Any sane coach will understand that because if they don't produce, they will get fired period.

not much if anything. lack of a further facilities announcement and other $$$ by the AD and lack of assistant multi-year deals is probably more hurtful. hopefully we get the facilities and $$$ announced. requires statehouse to fix the other.

Just a question, but is there any reason that the AD can't skirt the contract rules for assistant coaches by getting a group of donors together to put money into a pot for assistant coaches salaries? I don't know why a significant portion of assistant pay has to funnel through the state payroll system.

It doesn't affect it at all.

I think every coach knows that when you win 1 game and lose the majority of games by 50 (and only 50 instead of 100 due to the mercy of opponents), you get fired quite quickly.

It simply does not matter one bit.

Back