What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How to beat Missouri.

sackman

Hates the Counting Crows.
Club Member
Missouri has lost four games in the last year and a half. All four of those games had one thing in common. Missouri's opponent was able to generate a consistent pass rush from it's front four linemen. No blitzes, no gimmicks, just get after Daniel with your front four.

Do we have the personnel to pull it off? That's a different question. But the gameplan is pretty simple. CU tried to do this last year, and couldn't get any pressure on Daniel at all. He picked us apart like it was a scrimmage. :cry:

I would agree. Missouri runs a lot of empty sets with Daniel. If you can get consistent pass rush, you force them to change their gameplan some and keep a back in for protection.

I really liked how we threw in different blitz packages against KSU

Muschamp really showed how to dismantle MU. The guy is a freaking genius and was at Auburn too. I hope he leaves the Big 12 soon and goes back to the SEC (I'm thinking the "other" UT)

Anyway, I'm hoping Collins took note, but I hope the offense can eat the clock and make MU play our game. We have to control the rock to have a legit shot at beating them.

gotta get them rattled early...

pinky's teams are not particularly mentally tough. the booger-eater is the team's heart and soul. get him early, rattle him, and make him dance the happy dance in the pocket and their whole team will rattle too.

unfortunately, i share the skepticism that we have the bodies to pull it off.

and, there is a need to score some points, too. maybe our defense can score some while they are rattling booger.

anything can happen. it would be one sweet upset. i haven't felt like a CU game was this completely unwinnable since the Buffs went down to georgia a couple years ago. and, CU almost won that one. so, it is at least remotely possible that CU could pull the upset v. mizzery.

Blitz Missouri and we will die. I'm telling you that's a sure way to get killed. The booger will eat us alive if we try to throw blitzes at him. Maclin could be double teamed and he'd still make the catch if the ball is anywhere close to him.

If we can't get a sufficient pass rush from your 4 down linemen, we're screwed.

I definitely understand where you are coming, but our front 4 hasn't shown that they can put pressure on the QB or contain the outside very well. I wish that wasn't the case, but we don't have the athletes of the teams that have beaten them. Our secondary has really stepped up, but without any pressure at all Daniel will certainly pass, pass, pass. I swear if Collins rushes 3 on third down I'm going to throw something at my TV.

Just throw in a few blitzes here and there, realize that you may get burned, but you can also do this to disguise coverage as well. Rattle Daniel early and semi-often and make him second guess if/when we are going to blitz.

Last year we played too much man and got burned. We tried too hard to get to Daniel and he did make us pay for it. This year we should play more zone.

I just don't know if we should try and keep them underneath us.

Oh and the last time we played them Mizzou had only lost to OU. They've since lost to OU (again), OSU and UT

There's enough footage around to see what works and what doesn't. Collins needs to gameplan very well for us to have a chance.

You might as well call this thread "How to beat f-ing ANYONE".

Only good things happen if you can get consistent pressure with just your front 4.

Muschamp really showed how to dismantle MU. The guy is a freaking genius and was at Auburn too. I hope he leaves the Big 12 soon and goes back to the SEC (I'm thinking the "other" UT)

Anyway, I'm hoping Collins took note, but I hope the offense can eat the clock and make MU play our game. We have to control the rock to have a legit shot at beating them.

lots of talk around these parts about trying to get him as the ball coach at clemson.

I thought we had a decent rush at certain times against KSU. Brad Jones, Nicolas and Hypo did a good job at getting around the QB, but containing him was a totally different story. I think that Jones will be much needed at DE this week and we will most likely see a few LB blitzes

You might as well call this thread "How to beat f-ing ANYONE".

Only good things happen if you can get consistent pressure with just your front 4.

There's a certain truth to what you say. However, Missouri's defense is not going to beat you. They kill you with their offense. And it's not their running game that's going to kill you, either. It's Chase Daniel throwing the ball.

The key with Mizzou is to keep them guessing on their blocking. Gotta get a consistant pass rush with your front four. You won't sack him, but if there's pressure his timing is off. D needs to show tons of mixed coverages like OSU did. Mix up between zone and man sending the occasional LBer or DB on blitz. You guys would have a better chance if you could score more frequently. Ball control is key.

I think BJ Beatty is key this week. The guy is an uncontrollable blur coming off the end. Sometimes he runs completely by the play, but he generally creates havoc. Now that he is healthy he should get serious playing time.

There in lies the problem...

Yes, that is the problem. That's why I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the Buffs pulling out a win on Saturday. Give Daniel more than a second or two to get the ball off and he will find the open receiver. I'll give our defensive secondary all the credit in the world for playing great this year, but Maclin will get open, and Daniel will get him the ball if they don't disrupt things at the LOS and make Daniel do things he's not prepared to do.

Honestly, I think we're gonna have to gamble and throw a blitz or two at Daniels. We'll be in deep trouble if it doesn't get there, but man, some of his throws that he makes if he's under too much pressure have been horrid.

Honestly, I think we're gonna have to gamble and throw a blitz or two at Daniels. We'll be in deep trouble if it doesn't get there, but man, some of his throws that he makes if he's under too much pressure have been horrid.

If we blitz, we're going to have to be very coy about it. The blitzes will have to be zone blitz kind of deals, where we send a linebacker and drop a lineman into zone coverage. Crazy stuff that is designed to mess with their heads. Just sending 6 guys will get us murdered.

We're also going to have to take some chances with our defensive backs. They're going to have to play closer to the line of scrimmage than what they've been doing for most of the year - KSU game excepted, lots of close coverage in that game, which helped a lot, IMO.

I'm amazed that the coaches don't read this board for my incredible analysis. I suppose they looked at the tape from last years' game and said "We just didn't execute, let's do the exact same thing again." :rolleyes:

Honestly, a three man rush? Playing 10 yards off the receivers? WTF? Who the hell was in charge of putting together a gameplan for this week, anyway? Seriously, this is the EXACT same gameplan they employed last year against Missouri. What, did you think Daniel and Maclin had gotten worse?

Damnit, Hawk needs to get his sh!t together, and soon. This game did not need to be that lopsided. A loss was expected, but not a 58-0 ass raping. That's inexcusible. I'm not seeing any improvement. I'm not seeing any ingenuity. I'm not seeing anything to make me believe this team is on the right track now. It's pissing me off.

Back