What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How will the B1G go to 16 teams?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
That's the path they're on.

They have realigned to separate east from west instead of Legends/Leaders.

In 2014 (when Rutgers and Maryland come in), it will look like this:

East: Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers
West: Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin

The key here is that the entire West is in the Central time zone except for Purdue and the Boildermakers being there also screwed up its rivalry game with Indiana, forcing that to be the only protected game for inter-divisional play.

The B1G has been rumored to be looking to go to 16 teams, though, in order to create more inventory for its successful network.

So, there's reason to believe that the B1G will look West for adding 2 teams in order to move Purdue to the East Division and balance time zones. The ACC move with its media deal also makes poaching from them damn difficult.

Here's the 2014 map:

images

Missouri would have made a ton of sense. Are they poachable from the SEC? A new report says that Vanderbilt was looked at, so maybe.

But the other possibilities investigated by the B1G, according to the same report, were Kansas and Oklahoma. Imagining if that happens, the Big 12 would be an absolute mess.

Would the UT faithful tolerate the travel, academic prestige and athletic prestige of being in a conference that included:

Texas
Baylor
TCU
Oklahoma State
Kansas State
Iowa State
West Virginia
Texas Tech

...especially since the best options to get to 10 are considered to be BYU and Boise State?

Heck, would the UT faithful even tolerate losing KU or OU alone if it was one of them plus Notre Dame that brought the B1G to 16?

I'm increasingly thinking that something like this is going to happen and the Pac-12 will expand in a way that includes UT and the Big 12 will end up being a piecing together of the MWC, Big 8 and SWC.

Despite this latest move by the ACC that was heralded as "stabilizing", I think that was east coast bias. It stabilized the eastern US and focused the re-alignment to the west.

I dislike your way of thinking. The west is stable. It destabilized the midwest.

I still think Mizos should have went to the B10. I could also see possibly Wyo and Kansas. Two football doormats to pad the Elites schedule and a elite basketball school.

It would surprise me if the B1G went to 16 anytime soon now that the ACC is on lockdown for the time being and the Golden Domers insist on not joining a league. But it would not suprise me if Delaney pulls another stupid attack move to add just to add.

It would surprise me if the B1G went to 16 anytime soon now that the ACC is on lockdown for the time being and the Golden Domers insist on not joining a league. But it would not suprise me if Delaney pulls another stupid attack move to add just to add.
So, you are wrong no matter what happens?

The Big 10's previous targets were GT, UVA, and UNC but since they didn't move on that now they're out of options in the East unless they were to target UConn, which I can't see happening.

I'm increasingly thinking that something like this is going to happen and the Pac-12 will expand in a way that includes UT and the Big 12 will end up being a piecing together of the MWC, Big 8 and SWC.

I'm increasingly thinking that you should ​shut your dirty whore mouth!

Oklahoma schools will have to be a package deal for any move.

And the Big 12 did an assignment of rights, I believe. Doubt any Big 12 team will move.

what about mizzou? sec has no exit fee. if the big10 invited them i gotta think they would seriously consider it. money would be about the same, better academics, makes more sense geographically and a year of getting their butts handed to them in the sec should make them realize they will never compete in that conference. from the big10's perspective they could weaken the sec and with big12/acc owning all of the media rights their really isn't anyone for the sec to add.

Mizzou going to the SEC never made sense to me. The B1G seems like a better fit. Also, you have to think Vanderbilt would jump at the chance to get out of the SEC, from an academic standpoint.

Big 12 and ACC are off limits with the grant of rights in place. That only leaves the SEC, which is very unlikely, but I guess Mizzou and Vandy could be a possibility. Otherwise they are looking at pretty slim pickings.

The PAC already has the entire West locked up. If for some reason we had to expand, which I believe we do not, I would take KU and OU and their little brothers (if need be). At least we wouldn't be on such a geographic island anymore.

The PAC already has the entire West locked up. If for some reason we had to expand, which I believe we do not, I would take KU and OU and their little brothers (if need be). At least we wouldn't be on such a geographic island anymore.

We can't take OU or KU. As said before twice in this thread, the Big 12 has grant of media rights locked up for the forseeable future.

Grant of Rights is interesting. It doesn't stop any school from leaving a conference. A school could theoretically leave, but the old conference would still own the media rights to its games. I don't know the logistics of how that would work out, though.

Entertaining topic, but for those that are worried about Pac-12 expansion consider these principles:

(1) Pac-12 will always be an AQ conference with just 12 schools, even if every other conference expands to 16
(2) It's in college football's best interest to always have Pac-12 as an AQ conference since this is a major geographical area and has high quality schools
(3) For scheduling, it's in college sports best interest to have 2 AQ conferences west of Texas, not 1 mega conference
(4) It is far easier for east coast conferences to expand as they are closer bunched together
(5) Getting 1/10th of the revenue pie in the B12 is just as valuable, if not more, than getting 1/16 of the B10 pie

No one will force the Pac-12 to expand for AQ reasons, and revenue per school doesn't increase with more schools added to the fold. Conferences still play 12 games a year, with 9 in-league conference games. Add as many teams as possible, but a conference schedule will always have 9 conference teams. The content will always be unique. The schedule would have to increase 2x for there to be a content issue with a 12 team conference.

Entertaining topic, but for those that are worried about Pac-12 expansion consider these principles:

(1) Pac-12 will always be an AQ conference with just 12 schools, even if every other conference expands to 16
(2) It's in college football's best interest to always have Pac-12 as an AQ conference since this is a major geographical area and has high quality schools
(3) For scheduling, it's in college sports best interest to have 2 AQ conferences west of Texas, not 1 mega conference
(4) It is far easier for east coast conferences to expand as they are closer bunched together
(5) Getting 1/10th of the revenue pie in the B12 is just as valuable, if not more, than getting 1/16 of the B10 pie

No one will force the Pac-12 to expand for AQ reasons, and revenue per school doesn't increase with more schools added to the fold. Conferences still play 12 games a year, with 9 in-league conference games. Add as many teams as possible, but a conference schedule will always have 9 conference teams. The content will always be unique. The schedule would have to increase 2x for there to be a content issue with a 12 team conference.

I agree with everything you say here with the caveat that I believe we are not far from an expansion to a 14- game regular season. With a 14-team SEC and BiG scheduling is problematic. Those conferences swing a big dick, and a 14-game regular season would help them a lot.

I would add that it would help the PAC 12 a lot, too. It would allow us to play every team plus have room for a solid OOC schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

GOR doesn't stop schools from leaving, but it doesn't make sense for somebody like a KU/KSU or OU/OSU to leave the Big 12 because of that. Why is being on a geographic island bad? We were on an island for years in the Big 12 as the farthest west.....now were the easternmost Pac 12 school. Probably going to remain that way for a while----the only MWC school I'd even think about adding is UNM, and their football program is a joke. In terms of the Big 10----this one is simple. Cincinnati and UConn are begging the Big 10, Big 12, and ACC to get them out of the AAC. The Big 10 should take one (most likely UConn---I think OSU would block any move to get Cincy, and that would get them into New England, and not put Rutgers on an island, and it would also allow for Indiana to join the west division).

I agree with everything you say here with the caveat that I believe we are not far from an expansion to a 14- game regular season. With a 14-team SEC and BiG scheduling is problematic. Those conferences swing a big dick, and a 14-game regular season would help them a lot.

I would add that it would help the PAC 12 a lot, too. It would allow us to play every team plus have room for a solid OOC schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Agree, adding 2 games is a logical step. It would make for schedule debate with start of classes in late Aug, final exams in mid Dec, a conference title game weekend, and a need for 1 bye week. But the money is too good to not explore it.

I fail to see why the Big 12 would be vulnerable if the ACC's not, and vice versa. They both approved a GoR.

It's exceedingly optimistic (or pessimistic, depending on your PoV) to think that the B1G is going to expand anytime soon, considering recent events.

In the expansion melee, the Big 12 was the weak link, then the ACC was. Both have shored themselves up. The Big East has no more valuable schools. There's nowhere to go.

Anyone dislodging a school from the SEC is fun to consider, but there's no freaking way Missouri's leaving now.

I suppose anything could happen, but logic says there is not going to be any more movement among the big boys for quite some time.

Back