What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How will the Buffs do in the Draft?

Glad to see these guys get opportunities.

Rooting extra hard for Bell after all he went through to get his shot.

Had he stayed healthy I am fairly certain he would have been drafted last year. Really good guy and teammate and he was an NFL level athlete.

How is it that anybody thinks CU can make bowl games if there isn't any NFL talent on the roster year-after-year?

"Come play for us at Colorado. Yes, it's true that none of our players have been drafted the past two years but can we move past that?"

"And we have a nice Friends, Family, Fun, and Foosball "4F" plan. It's like going away to camp for four years".

Any decent recruiter easily moves past that. "Come play for us at Colorado. We've been going toe to toe the past 2 seasons despite having to play underclassmen. The Rise is happening in 2016 and you can be a part of something special."

The top programs are winning bowl games with a large number of underclassmen starting. Why would a kid want to come to CU now if the plan is that he has to wait 3 years to play on a losing team?

The top programs are winning bowl games with a large number of underclassmen starting. Why would a kid want to come to CU now if the plan is that he has to wait 3 years to play on a losing team?

And this is why you're never going to be hired to recruit.

It gets so tiresome on a ****ing CU board to see people who don't think of CU as a place anyone decent should want to play. Then it always seems to be the same people who get the most pissed that the coaches aren't able to recruit better players.

Here's a quick list of 10 things folks can refer to in the future:

1. Elite football facilities
2. Great location (town + campus + the rockies)
3. Excellent academics
4. Defense: great year-to-year improvement, especially under Leavitt, in a system that has been awesome from KSU to USF to the 49ers
5. Offense: fast-paced system that put up huge numbers when Sefo was healthy in '14 and now brings in the TTU air raid concepts that is even faster-paced and put up video game numbers last season
6. Team record has been improving every season and within a possession of winning a lot of games while playing underclassmen - ready to win
7. Nike school with some of the coolest swag in all of college football
8. Traditional power that's won a bunch of conference titles, national awards, a Heisman, a national title, has among the most wins, highest win %, NFL draft picks, etc, etc, etc -- the fact that it's been done here for a century makes this a sleeping giant and it is waking up
9. Opportunity to play in the Pac-12
10. You get to take the field by running out behind a live ****ing buffalo

We have a helluva program! Mac took a guy who isn't even NFL draftable and made him into one of the Pac's all time greatest wide receivers! Amazing when you think about it. Just think what guys with NFL talent will do in this offense! I'm pumped for The Rise, baby!

And this is why you're never going to be hired to recruit.

Agreed.

I was referencing your post about winning due to having a mostly upperclass depth chart next fall. The big step CU needs to make in recruiting is to land kids that are P5 players as freshmen and sophs. Instead of no picks CU should get to putting juniors in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

CU has several good recruiters now, hopefully they are bringing in top talent finally.

We have a helluva program! Mac took a guy who isn't even NFL draftable and made him into one of the Pac's all time greatest wide receivers! Amazing when you think about it. Just think what guys with NFL talent will do in this offense! I'm pumped for The Rise, baby!

This is such a bull**** post.

This is such a bull**** post.
I really appreciate your insight. I do. But you give me a sense of someone who never laughs. I got tired, get tired, of all the negativity. My post was a bit tongue in cheek meant to bring a little levity to the thread. Yeah, our lack of success in the draft is indicative of where we are. But, geez man, chill the **** out!

I really appreciate your insight. I do. But you give me a sense of someone who never laughs. I got tired, get tired, of all the negativity. My post was a bit tongue in cheek meant to bring a little levity to the thread. Yeah, our lack of success in the draft is indicative of where we are. But, geez man, chill the **** out!

I am only serious about half the time here. You like to defend coaches, it's what you do, don't run from it.

I'm glad this thread has established how awful Embree and the first few years of MM's recruiting was. Without it, we might have gone on thinking we've been good in that department.

I am only serious about half the time here. You like to defend coaches, it's what you do, don't run from it.

DBT defends coaches and players. Lot of loyalty toward the guys on the teams he roots for. I'm cool with that. It's consistent and comes from a good place. Very similar to the other side of that coin and DBT's rage against the one-sided screwjobs all officiating crews serve up against every team he roots for. :D

DBT defends coaches and players. Lot of loyalty toward the guys on the teams he roots for. I'm cool with that. It's consistent and comes from a good place. Very similar to the other side of that coin and DBT's rage against the one-sided screwjobs all officiating crews serve up against every team he roots for. :D

That's fine.

This whole discussion mostly misses the mark anyway IMO. Even the best coaching staffs do not really "develop" talent, they tend to just not screw it up. Certainly exceptions, but I think people tend to overrate "development" (whatever that may be).

Yeah. I defend coaches. I don't apologize for that. And I admit I've been wrong on occasion. I never defended Embree. I saw the light on Hawkins a bit late. But it's easy to bash. I try to be as positive as possible. I'm lukewarm with Mac but I also understand his job is daunting and think he isn't afraid to make changes. BTW, I also defended Bill Mac when just about everyone wanted him gone. So, win a few, lose a few. Right?

Yeah. I defend coaches. I don't apologize for that. And I admit I've been wrong on occasion. I never defended Embree. I saw the light on Hawkins a bit late. But it's easy to bash. I try to be as positive as possible. I'm lukewarms with Mac but I also understand his job is daunting and think he isn't afraid to make changes. BTW, I also defended Bill Mac when just about everyone wanted him gone. So, win a few, lose a few. Right?

Sure.

Agreed.

I was referencing your post about winning due to having a mostly upperclass depth chart next fall. The big step CU needs to make in recruiting is to land kids that are P5 players as freshmen and sophs. Instead of no picks CU should get to putting juniors in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

CU has several good recruiters now, hopefully they are bringing in top talent finally.

And just when we seem to be turning that no talent having corner we should fire everyone and roll the dice again. Because we really arent that bad and we should be bowling with our inferior talent at a minimum.

Last edited:
I was surprised that no Buff got drafted but individually I knew there were question marks on each one and was pretty sure that Nembot would not get drafted. But they will have a chance in NFL camps to demonstrate ability. Look at Tyler Polumbus - he was an Undrafted FA and ended up with an eight year NFL career.

To CU's talent level, yes it indicates that we are lacking NFL type players but a bigger concern is do we have PAC12 level talent. If we had a to pick 4 - 50 man teams from all the PAC12 rosters - how many Buffs would be chosen to represent on those teams. I think we would be under represented. Right now I am more concerned with fielding a solid PAC 12 roster than how many get picked in the draft.

We have recruited some pretty good pieces over the past few years. If our modest short term goal is to get to any bowl, we are more talented than many a bowl eligible team over the past years. I am more worried about our off-the field incidents, our overall effort in the practices I have seen and the lack of NFL caliber players developed. CSU even got two players in this year!

You don't recruit for stars, you recruit to build the best football team. We have talent that just can't get out of their own way. Many of these folks would have been drafted if we would have had four or five more guy's like Spruce, but at different positions; a critical mass of smart, hard working players that bring it and who demonstrate that hard work pays off. More leaders who show success on the field and how to behave off the field. That's the environment that saves many a gifted 3/4 star young man from his own mental breakdowns.

It does suck that we got nobody drafted. As BnG said each had reasons not to be drafted. When Spruce went out and ran some 40s in the 4.7 range in front of the scouts he gave them reason to doubt him. Nembot is big and strong but so are a lot of other guys who didn't earn the nickname Ole, KC is an NFL type athlete but how often did he show up on some WRs highlight film losing a battle for a ball.

Nembot may spend some time on a practice squad but I don't see him ever having a Polumbus type career. KC who knows, he could get it and stick, odds against him.

Spruce I think will end up not only making a roster but sticking in the league. Higgins from CSU got drafted based on better (but not great) 40 times and some highlights. I still have no question in my mind that Spruce will end up with a better NFL career than Higgins.

Yeah. I defend coaches. I don't apologize for that. And I admit I've been wrong on occasion. I never defended Embree. I saw the light on Hawkins a bit late. But it's easy to bash. I try to be as positive as possible. I'm lukewarm with Mac but I also understand his job is daunting and think he isn't afraid to make changes. BTW, I also defended Bill Mac when just about everyone wanted him gone. So, win a few, lose a few. Right?

According to former Coach Vince Okruch DBT=Fail

Back