What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How worried are you about the Hawaii game?

How confident are you in a win at Hawaii?

• 5 - Mark it. Buffs roll in this one.

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • 4 - I respect UH in this one, but expect Buffs to win.

Votes: 73 43.2%
  • 3 - Could go either way.

Votes: 50 29.6%
  • 2 - Recent history of CU results, especially on the road, make me expect a loss.

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • 1 - We'll be ****ed before the 1st Saturday of the season.

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
11pm MT on a Thursday night in Honolulu against a team the Buffs beat 21-12 at home last season.

Last year in its opening 2 games, the Rainbow Warriors:

Game 1: Lost to Washington, 17-16. Huskies led 17-10 at half and were dominated in the 2nd half. Hawaii just couldn't score enough. Hawaii had a 26-19 lead in 1st downs and a 424 to 336 lead in yards.

Game 2: Lost to Oregon State, 38-30. Down 31-7 in 1st half and 38-7 at the end of the 3rd quarter. Hawaii dominated the 4th quarter, but couldn't close.

At CU, that 21-12 Hawaii loss was a 21-6 halftime lead with Hawaii again adjusting and stoning a Pac-12 opponent in the 2nd half.

Biggest changes for Hawaii in 2015 are in the trenches. Pretty much everyone returns at the offensive skill positions (including 2 QBs that may have been the starter if they'd been healthy) and the linebacking corp is stout. But the OL lost 4 starters and the DL may not have the bodies to form a 2-deep.

A P5 program should dominate a game like this at the LOS. But will CU be a team that can do that even with all the returning players and reinforcements that came in on its lines? Will CU be able to step up on the road against an opponent that regularly plays its best with a ton of pride and intensity at home? Is the wonky game time another issue -- we see a lot of upsets on Thursday nights?

Do you think Hawaii is talking about how close CU was against Oregon State, Utah, UCLA and Cal?

Do you think Hawaii is talking about how close CU was against Oregon State, Utah, UCLA and Cal?

In context? Maybe. Probably. I'd assume they are if they are trying to analyze how difficult of an opponent CU might be this year. Otherwise they'd be pretty superficial fans.

I think this game hinges on Wittek. I remember thinking last year "If these guys had a half decent QB, we lose this game." Last years guy was one of the ten worst starting QBs I've ever seen.

Hawaii was in that game because of their punter, who is now gone. Dude pinned us inside of the 20 five times. Yeah they didn't have **** for QB's, but without that punter...

I think this game hinges on Wittek. I remember thinking last year "If these guys had a half decent QB, we lose this game." Last years guy was one of the ten worst starting QBs I've ever seen.

Hopefully the game will hinge on how we perform as opposed to how any of the Hawaii players perform. If we play up to our talent ability, we should win this game (in my opinion).

Hopefully the game will hinge on how we perform as opposed to how any of the Hawaii players perform. If we play up to our talent ability, we should win this game (in my opinion).
We should win, just do not expect many style points. But will take any win, no questions asked.

Much better it being the first game. At least travel wise.

Agreed. If you are going to play a guaranteed 13 regular season then it's good to start it off sooner than later.

In the end I think the Buffs win, but it's going to closer than I'd want. But at this point a one point victory to start the season would be BIG.

I voted 3. I worry about every game the Buffs play for about 6+ years now. Been a long time since the Buffs have gone into a game that I felt "comfortable" with the outcome. Hopefully soon, we can get back on track and not "sweat" the small games.

I voted 3. I worry about every game the Buffs play for about 6+ years now. Been a long time since the Buffs have gone into a game that I felt "comfortable" with the outcome. Hopefully soon, we can get back on track and not "sweat" the small games.

There used to be days when CU fans could look at the conference schedule and declare at least 3-4 games as "locks" for a win. Other choices were considered "should win", "doubtful", and "no chance". The past decade has brought almost zero "locks", very few "should wins", mostly "doubtfuls", and plenty of "no chancers", when looking at the schedule in pre season.

I look at our OOC schedule this year as 2 "should wins" and 2 "locks".

You can't trust this team on the road, regardless of opponent. This game would be a walk at home.

I am not sure it would be, Hawai'i biggest issue last year was QB play, this year they get a senior QB in Max Wittek off his redshirt. He should represent a significant upgrade from what they had before and potentially could have been the difference in them beating us at home last year.

voted 5 - I think that our defense will be pumped up and ready to show everyone that they are not the same defense as last year. We almost get our season total of interceptions for 2014 in game 1, (I think we get 2) and one of those gets returned for a TD. We win the turnover battle and we win the game handily.

I am not sure it would be, Hawai'i biggest issue last year was QB play, this year they get a senior QB in Max Wittek off his redshirt. He should represent a significant upgrade from what they had before and potentially could have been the difference in them beating us at home last year.

Buffs should really dominate in the trenches in this one.

If they don't, I'm going to get very worried about he rest of the schedule.

Webb would be an upgrade from what they have, but should we slow the brakes on pumping Wittek?

50 comp95 att52.6 comp%600 yards6.3 ypa4.13 td6 int103.5 rat

Webb would be an upgrade from what they have, but should we slow the brakes on pumping Wittek?

50 comp95 att52.6 comp%600 yards6.3 ypa4.13 td6 int103.5 rat

I think we should be more focused on the OC change than the QB change. Don Bailey did great work with his QBs and offenses at both Montana State and Idaho State. That ISU offense was impressive last year and he pretty much built it from nothing.

I think we should be more focused on the OC change than the QB change. Don Bailey did great work with his QBs and offenses at both Montana State and Idaho State. That ISU offense was impressive last year and he pretty much built it from nothing.

They also had a DC change. They may be an improved team with a better QB at the helm, but the coaching turnover should work to our advantage in a week 1 matchup.

They also had a DC change. They may be an improved team with a better QB at the helm, but the coaching turnover should work to our advantage in a week 1 matchup.

question.

Their DC/OC change work to our advantage, but our DC change doesn't work to theirs?

question.

Their DC/OC change work to our advantage, but our DC change doesn't work to theirs?

Before seeing how it plays out, my intuition is:

CU DC change = positive for the Buffs
UH OC change = positive for the Bows
UH DC change = negative for the Bows

question.

Nik said it best.

At the end of the day, they only mustered 12 points against one of the worst defenses in college football. The mere presence of JL should improve the unit as a whole, so yes, I believe the change gives us more of an advantage than their changes give them.

I'm just not a big fan of saying "Hawai'i sucked so bad on the road last year that obviously they'll be just as bad, if not worse at home this year."
We keep making the same counter argument for our Buffs, "yeah, they were the worst team in football last year, but our QB play will better and we have a new DC, ergo we are going to a bowl."(hyperbole, but still)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honestly if we are not significantly better in the first game of this upcoming season, then we have problems. Kids are experienced and there is reasonable depth across most positions. I really feel like the upcoming season is "put up or shut up" time. I am expecting a much better and more competitive team beginning with game 1. There really are no more excuses.

P.S. I don't really care how good our opponents may or may not be. Outside of maybe a few PAC 12 opponents, we should be competitive or beat all the rest (and for sure beat all OOC opponents).

Last edited:
Honestly if we are not significantly better in the first game of this upcoming season, then we have problems. Kids are experienced and there is reasonable depth across most positions. I really feel like the upcoming season is "put up or shut up" time. I am expecting a much better and more competitive team beginning with game 1. There really are no more excuses.

P.S. I don't really care how good our opponents may or may not be. Outside of maybe a few PAC 12 opponents, we should be competitive or beat all the rest (and for sure beat all OOC opponents).

This is kind of where I am as well. For all the hand wringing over our recruiting, our average class rank over the last 5 years is far and away better than any of our OOC opponents. We *should* be 4-0 heading into the conference schedule. Anything less and it'll be a disappointment, IMO.

This is kind of where I am as well. For all the hand wringing over our recruiting, our average class rank over the last 5 years is far and away better than any of our OOC opponents. We *should* be 4-0 heading into the conference schedule. Anything less and it'll be a disappointment, IMO.
This is where I am at as well. We have more talent, better coaching, and return more starters. Plus, our JUCO additions + Samson widens that gap.

This is where I am at as well. We have more talent, better coaching, and return more starters. Plus, our JUCO additions + Samson widens that gap.

This is where I am as well. Just to reiterate. :lol:

This is an easy feeling to have, but I would warn that first games are notoriously sloppy. We could be markedly improved as a team and not reflect it in a season opener, on the road, in HI. I expect us to win personally, but I also would not be surprised if we faltered because we do NOT have the talent to overwhelm anyone and overcome a plethora of mental mistakes that can happen in a first game....it's just the way it goes in season openers. I expect us to be as well prepared as we can be, but the wild card in this all is the new DC/OC....that is bound to throw some wrinkles into this matchup that we are not prepared for....and that concerns me.

I am not making comparisons to this team by any stretch, but a good example is our season opener in 2001...and that was even at home. I know Fresno State was a talented team that year, but no one could convince me that their team could hold a candle to our talent level that year. Mental mistakes can kill a team more than anything else and it makes a team look grossly more deficient than it really is.

The 1st game thing goes both ways, feel like it's being implied a bit that it's only a one way street

Back