What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How worried are you about the Hawaii game?

How confident are you in a win at Hawaii?

• 5 - Mark it. Buffs roll in this one.

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • 4 - I respect UH in this one, but expect Buffs to win.

Votes: 73 43.2%
  • 3 - Could go either way.

Votes: 50 29.6%
  • 2 - Recent history of CU results, especially on the road, make me expect a loss.

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • 1 - We'll be ****ed before the 1st Saturday of the season.

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
Oregon lost their DC and their QB. We made a bunch of positive changes. We have them at home this season. Last year's results don't matter. Loving our chances this year!
Yes let's open that can of worms, comparing Oregon to whoever. Great.

Besides changing the team names, I don't see how the method of analysis has changed, so dismissing it out of hand seems contradictory.

Besides changing the team names, I don't see how the method of analysis has changed, so dismissing it out of hand seems contradictory.

Well, besides the fact that Oregon didn't lose it's DC (it's still Don Pellum, who is going into his 2nd season in that role), I think there are some other differences in the situations.

Well, besides the fact that Oregon didn't lose it's DC (it's still Don Pellum, who is going into his 2nd season in that role), I think there are some other differences in the situations.
Of course. But we should throw out last year's game as a point of reference nonetheless since things have changed.

I forget my mythology, did Zeus make Sisyphus forget each time the rock rolled back down?

Of course. But we should throw out last year's game as a point of reference nonetheless since things have changed.

You're right, I think there are some things from last year worth referencing.

- CU's offense getting shut out in the 2nd half (good defensive adjustments by them and poor offensive adjustments by us)
- Our inability to run the football (118 rushing yards on 36 carries - 3.3 ypc)
- Sefo's mediocre play (29/45 287 yds 2 Tds 2 INTs)
- Despite going against the 112th ranked defense, Hawaii only managed 12 points

I guess those are a few things Buff fans could reference from last year's game. My point is that I think it's tough to know how UH's new DC will have them prepared to start the game and how well he will adjust at half time if they are trailing again. Will their defense, that saw some decent turnover since last year, be able to stop our running game as well as they did in 2014? Will our running game be better than it was last year? Will Sefo throw 2 INTs again? Does the addition of Jim Leavitt to our defense automatically make it better? There are a lot of unknowns to account for, IMO.

Well, that wouldn't be much punishment at all. Some people are just luckier than Sisyphus.

Maybe at the start he wouldn't remember and then as he rolled the rock up the hill he grew to love the rock and he understood that it was the love for the rock that made life what it was. Then Zeus would roll it back down and make Sisyphus forget his love for the rock.

You're right, I think there are some things from last year worth referencing.

- CU's offense getting shut out in the 2nd half (good defensive adjustments by them and poor offensive adjustments by us)
- Our inability to run the football (118 rushing yards on 36 carries - 3.3 ypc)
- Sefo's mediocre play (29/45 287 yds 2 Tds 2 INTs)
- Despite going against the 112th ranked defense, Hawaii only managed 12 points

I guess those are a few things Buff fans could reference from last year's game. My point is that I think it's tough to know how UH's new DC will have them prepared to start the game and how well he will adjust at half time if they are trailing again. Will their defense, that saw some decent turnover since last year, be able to stop our running game as well as they did in 2014? Will our running game be better than it was last year? Will Sefo throw 2 INTs again? Does the addition of Jim Leavitt to our defense automatically make it better? There are a lot of unknowns to account for, IMO.

Does any of this matter until we show that we can actually look like a competent football team on the road, anywhere on the road.

We barely beat a bad UMASS team last year that is probably much worse than Hawaii, and at UMASS we had a bigger crowd than they did, not happening on the Islands.

Does any of this matter until we show that we can actually look like a competent football team on the road, anywhere on the road.

We barely beat a bad UMASS team last year that is probably much worse than Hawaii, and at UMASS we had a bigger crowd than they did, not happening on the Islands.

I was at that game. The close score wasn't a reflection of talent as much as a lack of effort. Short of some of the John Embree 2012 blow outs, that was the least energy I've seen from a CU team in 10 years.

Go ahead and take a stance one way or the other at some point...

I was at that game. The close score wasn't a reflection of talent as much as a lack of effort. Short of some of the John Embree 2012 blow outs, that was the least energy I've seen from a CU team in 10 years.

To my point.

It isn't a question of talent, it is a question of us playing a quality game outside the borders of the state of Colorado. Until we show that we can show up and beat somebody then no road game is counted as secure.

Go ahead and take a stance one way or the other at some point...

Reading comprehension isn't your strong point is it.

Make it simple enough that you can understand. We suck on the road, we have sucked on the road. What happens in Boulder doesn't matter until we prove we don't suck on the road.

Your third grade teacher can now be proud.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong point is it.

Make it simple enough that you can understand. We suck on the road, we have sucked on the road. What happens in Boulder doesn't matter until we prove we don't suck on the road.

Your third grade teacher can now be proud.

Sure, we have sucked on the road, but we've also beaten everyone we should have under MacIntyre, except maybe CSU last year. Not really saying much at this point, but we have won the games we should have thus far.

But you still haven't really taken a stance, just summarized that we've sucked on the road.

Last edited:
Sure, we have sucked on the road, but we've also beaten everyone we should have under MacIntyre, except maybe CSU last year. Not really saying much at this point, but we have won the games we should have thus far.

But you still haven't really taken a stance, just summarized that we've sucked on the road.

Again you don't read well.

The question is how confident are you in a win at Hawaii. With our recent history, not very.

Sorry, them losing their all-world punter doesn't change that for me.

Again you don't read well.

The question is how confident are you in a win at Hawaii. With our recent history, not very.

Sorry, them losing their all-world punter doesn't change that for me.

I went back and read your posts multiple times, you haven't taken a stance. Saying we suck on the road is not taking a stance about this game.

"We've sucked on the road so I'm not sure about this one" isn't taking a stance.

I went back and read your posts multiple times, you haven't taken a stance. Saying we suck on the road is not taking a stance about this game.

"We've sucked on the road so I'm not sure about this one" isn't taking a stance.

Yeah it is. Look at the poll questions. It's squarely #3. He's taken that stance.

You hold his feet to the fire, Tini, this stuff is important!

Then again, he could have picked option #3, which would pretty much explain it.

The outcome of this game has nothing to do with talent.

Their's isn't as bad as we are acting like and ours isn't as good as some are thinking but we are still significantly more talented than they are at most positions. If it were a video game we should win easily.

What this game is really about though is can we get our heads together on the road, in the first game of the season, and win in a fairly hostile environment.

Last year we had a bunch of close games, we won Hawaii at home and UMass on the road but neither was what you would call an impressive win. The rest of the season we had some games that were close in the fourth quarter but managed to lose all of those.

This game is a must win for the Buffs. Lose it and we start into a downward spiral that most likely includes a loss to the sheep and a hard time winning a conference game leaving M2 as a lame duck.

Win it and the team can start to believe in themselves. 4-0 OOC is a real possibility meaning that we have some confidence going into conference and even if we don't get a bowl 5-6 wins and a happier team is a big step up from last year.

This game will tell us a lot about the future of CU football including how much longer we can expect the current coaching staff to be here.

The last time we played there we came in with a lot of optimism. JE's team had won 2 of the last 3 the year before including a road game and fans were pumped. What we got was the beginning of the meltdown that was one of the worst seasons in college football history.

Now I don't for a minute imagine that M2 and his staff have the complete and utter inability to make adjustments that the Embree staff did but bottom line is lose this game and we can start speculating on who and when the next coach will be named.

last time we played there was Embree's first game in his first year as coach. Same year we won 2/3 to finish the season against AZ and Utah

last time we played there was Embree's first game in his first year as coach. Same year we won 2/3 to finish the season against AZ and Utah

I think you are right, was going from memory.

What it did show though was we had a coaching staff that was completely unprepared to compete in D1 football. They failed to motivate, they failed to game plan, and they totally failed to make even the simplest adjustments.

Hawaii is a team that any decent P5 team should beat, home or on the road. Still I will believe we are ready to beat them when I see it. I hope we win but our recent results don't give a lot of confidence.

Back