What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How would you feel about EB as next head coach

How would you feel about EB as next head coach

• Total voters
ditto that. High risk, potentially a homerun. I suppose the downside is he will get some good players and not win with them. The upside is high, like BCS championship high. But there is a lot of assumptions that have to go right for that.

I think there's a few proven head coaches who have less risk. I think the whole "we tried the mid-major up-n-comer thing and it didn't work" is pretty shallow. Hoke or Calhoun would get CU very competitive and that would bring in recruits. Would it put us in the picture to win a National Championship? Not too sure the upside is that high.

1) if EB is the new HC then donations and season tickets sales go up.
2) if EB is the new HC I see no reason how recruiting won't be top notch.
3) this leaves us with coaching/ Xs & Os

worst case IMHO is that the AD gets a big shot in the arm ($$$) and there's great talent on board in the event
the coaching part does not work out (which I believe it will)

3 for me.

Not my first choice, and I worry about his lack of experience at a minimum coordinator level. Nobody knows how he will handle the day to day organizational tasks that are required. What type of assistants would he be able to bring in is another huge factor.

I also worry about the people that think EB is going have the same style as a HC that he did when he last was a coach at CU. The HC is not going to be the guy with the hat on backwards and jumping up and down in the huddle.

If EB is named the HC he better not be paid any more than Hawkins was getting, freeing up substantial $$$ for assistant coaches. The buyout on EB also better be much lower than anything Bohn did with Hawkins. I hated Hawkins as a coach, but on paper he has way more experience than EB does.

3 for me.

Not my first choice, and I worry about his lack of experience at a minimum coordinator level. Nobody knows how he will handle the day to day organizational tasks that are required. What type of assistants would he be able to bring in is another huge factor.

I also worry about the people that think EB is going have the same style as a HC that he did when he last was a coach at CU. The HC is not going to be the guy with the hat on backwards and jumping up and down in the huddle.

If EB is named the HC he better not be paid any more than Hawkins was getting, freeing up substantial $$$ for assistant coaches. The buyout on EB also better be much lower than anything Bohn did with Hawkins. I hated Hawkins as a coach, but on paper he has way more experience than EB does.

I would think that Bieniemy's salary package would be lower, and perhaps more heavily incentive-laden. Winning season = more money. Bowl game = more money. Conference championship game = more money. Conference champion = more money. BCS bowl = more money. etc.

Still -- Hawkins package was really small. 11th in the Big 12. Doubt Bieniemy's will be much lower. Hopefully more money for assistants to spread around that what Hawkins had.

I would think that Bieniemy's salary package would be lower, and perhaps more heavily incentive-laden. Winning season = more money. Bowl game = more money. Conference championship game = more money. Conference champion = more money. BCS bowl = more money. etc.

Still -- Hawkins package was really small. 11th in the Big 12. Doubt Bieniemy's will be much lower. Hopefully more money for assistants to spread around that what Hawkins had.

Come on! You did that one on purpose.

EB could really go either way. Big success or big flop. And he really could blow up in more spectactularly bad ways than some of the other candidates. He can be a little bombastic at times, and he has a temper. I'm not going to assume he can recruit as well to present day CU as he did in the past. If he wins some games, I'm pretty sure the floodgates will open all the way up.

The lack of OC exp does bother me. If he's hired, I think he'd be smart to keep Kiesau around. I could see those two making a good team.

It could take a little longer for him to get things going than a few of the other candidates. A lot of his early success will depend on getting the right AC's. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he gets that right on the first try.

If he'll turn his damn hat the right way, I could live with EB at the helm.

I feel like if EB has some success and builds a good reputation, he would be someone who could challenge/influence the entire University to support the program more... and be successful at it. This is also a reason he may not be hired :/.

I would be excited for EB. IMO, Mac was the choice. If you five tools in the drawer and only one of them has done the job before, why try a new one? That aside a BCS HC who has had 8 years of solid winning a la Miles would be my next choice, ditto Bellotti, but if that is a no go, EB is next on the list and still a fine alternative. I think it will be good.

Back