1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hoyas Fight Chinese Imperialism

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by boulder77, Aug 18, 2011.

1. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

2. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

3. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

the Chinese ****s fight dirty... stomping the dude on the ground why didnt a hoya dunk the tiny one

4. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

What's with all the pots and pans clanging in the background?

5. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

It may just be from the angle of the person video taping, but the Georgetown guys seem to be trying to run away, or at least as much as a 19 or 20 year old can. I would definatly say the Chinese should feel the shame for this one.

6. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

that's some old school Big East.

7. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Wow, Hoya's basically got their ass kicked.

8. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

They needed Alozno Mourning and Patrick Ewing there.

Actually John Thompson's son is kind of the complete opposite of how his father coached. Much more finesse, 3 point shooting where Big John was physical and intimidation ball.

9. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

If any ex-Hoya could have been involved, they needed "The Answer".

10. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Michael Graham.

Anyone remember that dude?

11. ShockerHoops

ShockerHoops Well-Known Member

The Chinese team showed no self control, and a major lack of sportsmanship. One of the chinese reporters/translators said that the Chinese Pro team was so embarrassed that they were getting beat by a college team, they had the refs start trying to throw the game in the 2nd quarter. And they still couldn't beat them, as it was tied 64-64 when the brawl happened.

Not only are they poor sports, but they're chicken ****s and fight 5 on 1, and stomp people on the ground.

I can't believe Thompson III's statement was so lenient. If I was coach, and my players just got stomped on, I don't care who I piss off at the University, I would call it like it is, and call out the Chinese for being a bunch of little baby's who can't take a good beating.

Goose likes this.
  12. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

the bald guy.

13. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

It sounds like the officiating for all of the Chinese games have been a joke. Duke, who isn't exactly viewed as "anti-ref" was out-shot in free throws by a 3:1 ratio in their two games. I don't think many teams will be heading back over there next year.

14. Buffnik

Yep. My first favorite college basketball player. Did nothing his freshman year during the regular season. Then, I was watching the Big East tourney at the Garden. I was 11 years old. Graham came in, took a swing at a Syracuse player, didn't get ejected, and the lightbulb came one. From then until they won the NCAA tourney that season, he was a force. SI put him on the cover when Georgetown won it all (not Ewing).

Thompson kicked him off the team that offseason and I always thought about what could have been. No way they get upset by Nova the next year if Graham's on that team intimidating, ripping down rebounds, and rocking the rim with his dunks. Such a waste. But for a month, he was the MAN.

15. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

Or they should go over there to "toughen up" and get used to playing games where they dont get any calls going in their favor.

16. Buffnik

Just like playing at K-State.

17. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

funny the things you remember. Sleepy Floyd was a baller for G'Town. i remember Ewing's FR year in the finals, he commits a couple goal-tendings in the first minutes of the game. but, they were such ridiculous athletic plays....it was like the refs shouldn't have even called it. jaw-dropping freakish plays.

18. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

This is complete ****. I can't believe this happened, and I can't stand the slowly increasing arrogance of China (NOT Chinese people) in organized events/forums, whether it be sports, technology, business, government, etc...but I digress. Chinese blogs and fans have come forth shaming the Chinese team, but I haven't seen one thing yet from the actual team/league itself. They should be embarrassed, as well as the select Chinese fans that were throwing water bottles at American fans. The officiating has been atrocious - yes, I know, a DUKE fan complaining about referees, but seriously...it's a joke - look up the stats.

19. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

This is my major beef with the game of basketball - it can be far too easily manipulated by officiating. It's a fundamental flaw in the game itself.

20. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

What major sport isnt?

21. sackman

Football, baseball, hockey, tennis, soccer, golf...

Whining about officiating is common everywhere, but it's rare that officiating actually impacts the outcome of the game in any sport other than basketball.

22. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

I completely disagree, although I dont know much about hockey, tennis or soccer, but Football, baseball, and now recently Golf I believe are much worse than basketball ever is. The only difference is in basketball they allow the coaches some room to argue before being ejected. Baseball a simple comment about a ball/strike will get you tossed ASAP, but doesnt mean the umpire doesnt have control over the game.

23. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

How was it that Georgetown was over there, anyway? I have not followed this story too much - but was it the current team that was over there playing? How the hell did they manage to get that through??

24. sackman

You can count on one hand the number of games in the NFL that get decided by a referees call in any given year. In baseball, it's even more rare that a game gets decided by an umpires decision. The ump is just the eyes to make the call - safe or out, fair or foul, in or out of the strike zone. Virtually every single game in the NBA is dictated by the referees. The pace of the game, who gets to the foul line, who has to substitute more, etc. It all falls down on the refs. It would be nearly impossible to fix a game with one ref in any sport other than basketball. You don't have point shaving issues outside of basketball. Guys like Tim Donaghy don't exist in other sports. It would be too obvious.

25. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Where basketball is different is twofold. First - if a foul is called in basketball, the opposing team has an opportunity to score points - IMMEDIATELY, with no interference from the other team whatsoever. If would be like if the NFL was awarded a field goal attempt from the 10 yard line with no pressure from the opposing team. Second - players only get so many fouls before they are completely removed from the game. We have seen in the NBA where certain officials have directed fouls at certain players (the situation in San Antonio between Joe Crawford and Tim Duncan comes to mind) and if a player has 3 fouls early in a game, his role in the remainder of the game is seriously limited.

26. GregInArlington

Golf???? There aren't even officials in golf to call judgement penalties on you. There are "rules officials" but they are just there to help you make sure you make the right decision based on the rules - they do not subjectively penalize you. You follow and penalize yourself in golf. If you do something that requires a penalty stroke, but do not penalize yourself, you are DQ'd in most cases - but there are no judges or officials presiding over the game.

Soccer is almost as bad as basketball - but basketball games are at least as much decided by the refs as the talent on the floor.

27. Buffnik

I agree with sacky on this one.

Unlike him, though, it doesn't keep me from enjoying the game. As a lifelong fan, I expect to see stars getting special treatment from officials, top teams getting special treatment from the officials, top coaches getting special treatment from the officials, and home teams getting special treatment from officials. As an underdog, it's something you know you need to overcome. As a favorite, it's something you know you've earned.

It's part of the game, but for me it's not a bad part of the game.

28. Buffnik

Overstatement.

Refs will, for the most part, establish the type of game they're going to call early on. Just like umpires with their strike zones. Teams must adjust. Also, close calls are going to usually favor home teams and stars.

But the refs are only going to make a difference of a half dozen points in a game. Talent level, coaching & team chemistry are much biger factors.

Also, teams can shoot lights out some nights and other nights play like there's a lid on the basket. But as Boyle said, other than a handful of nights a season (good or bad), you are who your record says.

Refs influence things, but not to the extent people want to believe. Maybe 4-6 points a night.

29. GregInArlington

I know it's an overstatement haha. However, if there is a tie game, with the shot clock turned off - it seems like more often than not a foul decides the game. It's just very frustrating as a spectator to see most of the close games decided by whistles and free throws.

30. Buffnik

Do you still feel that way when you watch a game you have no rooting interest in?

When I do that, it's rare that I feel the way you described. Almost never do I feel like that with an NCAA Tourney game.