What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Huge game. Very, very important.

sackman

Hates the Counting Crows.
Club Member
Beat KSU, and you'll have good crowds for the rest of the season. You'll probably even turn a profit for the basketball program. Lose, and it's back to square one. At some point, if you're turning around a program, you need to win games like this.

This game is huge. Apparently they've already sold 7,000 tickets. The crowd will be there and will be loud. Don't disappoint your biggest crowd of the year.

What the **** are you talking about? KSU is the #12 team in the nation, they have a better offense and a better defense than us, and are a very good road team. This is a huge upside game for us if we win its freaking awesome, if we dont? well we got beat by a better team. Anyone looking at this game as an attendance breaker has lost it.

A win would definitely make people take notice. A win makes CU MBB the hot ticket in town this winter, but I don't think it's an attendance killer if we lose (as long as we don't lay an egg).

Also, a win would be 2 straight against ranked opponents. I would assume it's a long time since we've done that. It would make the basketball talking heads take notice, too. Especially with Bzdelik being so respected and well-liked in basketball circles, there are a lot of people in the basketball media who would like nothing better than to have a reason to give our program some pub.

KSU is on the front page of the yahoo! sports site. pride goeth before the fall. Cats poised to be upset, imo. :drink2:

What the **** are you talking about? KSU is the #12 team in the nation, they have a better offense and a better defense than us, and are a very good road team. This is a huge upside game for us if we win its freaking awesome, if we dont? well we got beat by a better team. Anyone looking at this game as an attendance breaker has lost it.

If our football team has taught us anything, it's that moral victories don't count for squat. Furthermore, actual victories followed up by sh*tty performances don't do any good, either. You're not given too many chances to make a lasting impression. Win this game, and there will be fans at the rest of the games (so long as they don't step on their dicks against the fuskers or some other lame ass squad). Lose it and it's same old, same old.

But I can understand what he meant by the comment.

I mean C'Mon guys, we all know where we HOPE this venture leads with Bzdelik.

Look, this team has been fun. They have 3 really good players (Higgins, Burks, Relphorde), and a 4th one w/potential who's sitting on the bench (Sharpe); and a really nice supporting cast.

The crowds are beginning to fill in at CECC, and the media is hyping this team up some, and that only happens when they (the media) feel things are good and note-worthy.

And at some point here, because you can't just sit here mired in mediocrity for ever, you've got to step up and get some BIG ONE's, have a "take what's yours attitude", and begin to establish a place in this conference, other than the bottom.

If our football team has taught us anything, it's that moral victories don't count for squat. Furthermore, actual victories followed up by sh*tty performances don't do any good, either. You're not given too many chances to make a lasting impression. Win this game, and there will be fans at the rest of the games (so long as they don't step on their dicks against the fuskers or some other lame ass squad). Lose it and it's same old, same old.

Good point.

Look, it's fun. It's fun when you can get on a streak and let other programs know that your arena can be rocking as well. Plus, and I think this may be happening internally a little bit, CU and it's fans need to gain some confidence and get over the hump.

It's nothing NEW, we all know we have a very fair-weathered fan environment, and the program has done very little to establish a great fan base over the course of time. So yeah, it really is almost a 1 & done scenario with these fans. It sucks that that's the way it has to be ... I'm not like that but it's true, to some extent anyway.

Saturday basketball games are always tough. Particularly when the snow is good on a three day weekend. How's the snow out there?

I agree with Absinthe on this one - KState is good, and losing to them will not destroy attendance for the rest of the year. In my opinion, the Big 12 is the best conference this year in bball, and CU willhave ample opportunity to prove itself again. Yes, a win would be huge, but a loss is not devastating.

The football program and bball program are comparing apples and oranges. There are no moral victories - sure, but this rings so much more true with our football program. They have a tradition of excellence on the field, marred with off-years. Bball - they have some tradition, but overall, it's been a rough ride for the program. I think actually think that Maui was a bunch of moral victories.

The game is huge - but I just wouldn't put judge the team so much based on it. KState is good - very good.

A win would be huge. I hope they get the upset, it would start getting Buzz's team some respect. I would love to see CU grow and become a basketball power.

Quick notes from CUBuffs.com:
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]QUICKLY: Alec Burks is the only true freshman in the country to score in double digits every game this season. Kennesaw State's Markeith Cummings has scored in double digits in every game, but is a redshirt freshman. Cody Ellis of Saint Louis has also scored in double digits in all his games, but has only played in two games • CU is starting the conference season against three nationally ranked opponents - a school-first • CU is 9-0 at home matching the 1982-83 season for consecutive wins at home to start a season. The last 10 in a row start was the 1979-80 season (first year of the Events Center) • CU has never defeated ranked opponents in back-to-back games • The last time CU had a winning record (over .500) to begin and end conference play was 2005-06 (9-7) • CU is shooting 51.9 percent from the field after two games.[/FONT]

Not sure how losing to a top 15 team like K-State would signal doom.

Sacky - are you really in wait and see mode? Seriously? Don't know what your schedule is, and I don't want to call out your "fan-ness," but in my mind, it's your loss if you miss out on this. Sounds like it's going to be a great atmosphere (they don't come around often enough at CEC). This team needs everyone behind it to pull off a win like this (read Bz's quotes after the Baylor win). Hope you can make it (for those of us out-of-staters that can't make it).

I try to think like a 19 year old when trying to predict when the fans will come. At this point in the fragile program's development, if the Buffs get blown out by KSU then a lot of students will say "nothing has changed" and maybe not return anytime soon. But if it's loud and we go toe to toe with the 2nd top 25 team in a week, I bet the crowds will grow and grow for the more winnable games on the home schedule. (And that could be all but KU, after what I saw on Tuesday.)

And KU will be a huge crowd. Just have to make sure they don't take over our arena. I don't want to be surrounded by a bunch of idots yelling "Rock Chalk".

(As an aside, that's the dumbest cheer in all of sports. It's like they couldn't come up with something that meant anything, so they just tried to rhyme with "Jayhawk"... and failed.)

Sacky - are you really in wait and see mode? Seriously? Don't know what your schedule is, and I don't want to call out your "fan-ness," but in my mind, it's your loss if you miss out on this. Sounds like it's going to be a great atmosphere (they don't come around often enough at CEC). This team needs everyone behind it to pull off a win like this (read Bz's quotes after the Baylor win). Hope you can make it (for those of us out-of-staters that can't make it).[/SIZE]

Signal doom, no. Signal that not much has changed? In most peoples eyes - yes. You gotta win. Coming close don't do it. Bzdelik would be the first guy to tell you that.

I should add that if they're really going to build this thing, they have to make it so that winning at the CEC is a given. You simply don't lose there - ever. Maybe the occassional triple overtime heartbreaker to KU, but never to anybody else. The CEC has to be a game that opponents come in and say "we're probably going to lose, but let's play smart and hope to do well". We're not there yet. Win this game, and we're a lot closer than we have been since Chauncey was here.

And KU will be a huge crowd. Just have to make sure they don't take over our arena. I don't want to be surrounded by a bunch of idots yelling "Rock Chalk".

(As an aside, that's the dumbest cheer in all of sports. It's like they couldn't come up with something that meant anything, so they just tried to rhyme with "Jayhawk"... and failed.)

Best thing we can do to prevent these weirdos from doing their weird devil cult chant is to buy up all the tickets we can. The KU fans will most certainly buy up all those available, if they haven't already.

PS Our more athletic Buffs will be a much more challenging matchup for KU this year. Looking forward to that game, although they're tough inside with Aldrich and those twins. (Isn't that a euphemism for a penis? "Big Jim and the twins"?)

I should add that if they're really going to build this thing, they have to make it so that winning at the CEC is a given. You simply don't lose there - ever. Maybe the occassional triple overtime heartbreaker to KU, but never to anybody else. The CEC has to be a game that opponents come in and say "we're probably going to lose, but let's play smart and hope to do well". We're not there yet. Win this game, and we're a lot closer than we have been since Chauncey was here.

I believe that is the definition of running before you can walk. We need to win a few on the road and not loose to people like CSU before we start talking about triple overtime heart breakers against the #3 team int eh country.

It really sucks b/c it does create such good business for CU and the arena, but what hurts most is that there are even some traditional CU fans that shed the black & gold to then, for that ONE day, wear scarlet and blue.
I've personally met at least 10 to 15 people that do that. They'll cheer hard for CU for the entire season accept for that ONE game.

I hope that Bohn has a creative team together, on the backside of everything else- I'm sure they do, that is designed to specifically find ways to shut out KU fans and put more CU fans butts in the friggen seats.

It would be awesome if one time, one time!, we could have a blackout against KU and just let em have it.

I will say this about the KSU game.

- I think CU has very winnable home games against Neb/Iowa St./Mizzou/Okla./& Texas Tech. They're capable of that. I feel it's there time to have a little luck on their side anyway. Ok, so there's 6 wins (including Baylor).
- CU also has potential to get a road win, I feel they will, at Neb/Iowa St./Mizzou/ or maybe A&M. Ok, so there's 7 wins.
- Now you can see why some feel that this KSU game is ever more important. Getting another win against an elite (at least for this year) opponent only helps things that much more, and (if everything falls in place) it could get you to the .500 mark in the conference (17-13; 8-8). That would be sweet.
- And it just continues to feed the message to the players, coaches, and most importantly, THE FANS. That the Buffs aren't just capable of beating also-rans, they are capable of much more.

Last edited:
A win would help a lot more than a loss would hurt.

Absolutely true. The reason, of course, is that a loss just means more of the same. Nothing to see here folks, move along. A win means that there is something to see.

You don't get many opportunities like this. Texas isn't coming to town this year. KSU and KU will be the highest ranked teams to come into Boulder. As was mentioned before, KU is going to bring a bunch of their fans with them, so this game is where the Buffs have to make hay. I'm not saying it's easy, but if you want to turn this ship around, it starts with this game.

I can think of something: two words, a verb and a noun, that rhyme with "Jayhawk;" or at least the second syllable. In fact, in the halcyon days of my college experience, I frequently helpfully suggested this particular rhyme to the KU fans who came to CEC.

It really sucks b/c it does create such good business for CU and the arena, but what hurts most is that there are even some traditional CU fans that shed the black & gold to then, for that ONE day, wear scarlet and blue.
I've personally met at least 10 to 15 people that do that. They'll cheer hard for CU for the entire season accept for that ONE game.

I lived in the dorms with a girl from Wichita, KS, and she would go to the games with a CU shirt on OVER a Jayhawk shirt. I loved it when, in the 2002-2003 season, we were at the game where we shocked a top-ranked Kansas squad at CEC and when she tried to join in the celebration I screamed and pointed: "She's wearing a Jayhawk underneath her CU shirt!" And she was booed lustily.

The CEC can rock when it get's packed. When I was in school, we beat both UT and KU at the CEC... it was awesome.

Would be nice to have something similar happen here.

It may also give this young team enough confidence to pull off the biggest of them all, a win against KU.

The CEC can rock when it get's packed. When I was in school, we beat both UT and KU at the CEC... it was awesome.

Would be nice to have something similar happen here.

Those were the days indeed.....had a blast going to the game & rushing the BBall court...you can't get much more of a home court advantage in any other sport than college BBall....if Coors is rocking, the Buffs have a shot against anyone!

I'm excited to get crazy tomorrow! Love heckling the new Bobby Knight (a.k.a Kjuco's coach Frank Martin) too! GO Buffs!

Sacky - are you really in wait and see mode? Seriously? Don't know what your schedule is, and I don't want to call out your "fan-ness," but in my mind, it's your loss if you miss out on this. Sounds like it's going to be a great atmosphere (they don't come around often enough at CEC). This team needs everyone behind it to pull off a win like this (read Bz's quotes after the Baylor win). Hope you can make it (for those of us out-of-staters that can't make it).[/SIZE]

Dood...you're gonna call out Sacky?

Well, I'll throw it back at ya Spiff...you going to the aTm game next week when our boys are in town?:bounce::gobuffs:

Back