What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Husker chivalry lives....

I still think Rae Carruth holds the title of "Mr. Chivarly". The real question is.....Was the weapon goose down or stuffed with man made materials?

It really sucks when someone drags your name through the mud and no charges are filed eh? we'd know nothing about that.

It sucks even more when you admit wrongdoing but you're not charged. I wonder if being a starting DE has anything to do with that? :wow:

The NU English Dept. strikes again....
Wasn't that the old French actor, Maurice Chivarly?

7713_119920240128.jpg

murder > assault.

Obviously.

And with the past that both programs have had with off-field incidents, I really don't see the need to gloat when it happens at NU or anywhere else.

murder > assault.

Obviously.

And with the past that both programs have had with off-field incidents, I really don't see the need to gloat when it happens at NU or anywhere else.

Really? Carruth went off the deep end after he went to the league. Had all that extra cash and chose to spend it in the worst way.

Really? Carruth went off the deep end after he went to the league. Had all that extra cash and chose to spend it in the worst way.

So what? We shouldn't worry about what school they're playing for, or graduated from, we should be concerned about their ACTIONS only. And I doubt Carruth just suddenly became a scumbag over night.

As CU fans, we all know we've had our fair share of players with legal issues. We all remember the mugshot lineup back in the 90s, the recruiting parties, ect. I see no need to throw stones in our glass house. And that goes for fans of all programs.

Each University is dealing with 18-22 year olds, and each program experiences the same type of incidents.

As CU fans, we all know we've had our fair share of players with legal issues. We all remember the mugshot lineup back in the 90s, the recruiting parties, ect. I see no need to throw stones in our glass house. And that goes for fans of all programs

No one is going to doubt that both programs have had their problems. Every program in the country has issues, it is the nature of things when you get +/-100 18-23 year old young men away from home for the first time.

The difference is in how things have been handled, I would argue that the incidents with Sipilli and Katoa were both significantly less notable than a 230lb guy getting physical with a young woman yet both of them missed an entire season because of it. Katoa may end up missing two because the suspension and all of the time commitments around it caused him to fall behind academically and he is struggling to catch up.

On the other hand when he was the head coach, the current kNU athletic director suspended Lawrence Phillips for a whopping couple of games for dragging a girl down a flight of stairs by the hair, and it was not even close to his first incedent. Christian Peter had sexual assault charges delayed for three years so he could stay eligible. When the wife of the team owner found out what he had done the NFL team that drafted him in the fourth round cut him before he ever signed.

I am not and will not ever say that either program is clean or perfect, but to say that their is not a different standard of response to incidents at each school is to ignore the obvious.

A part of this is clearly due to the expectations that surround the programs. Incidents that never hit the paper in Lincoln are front page news in Boulder. The CU athletic department has to continuously contend with a significant element in the University and the Boulder community that is clearly opposed to the program and seeks to amplify any incident to futher their agenda. There are members of the media in Boulder and Denver waiting to pounce on any excuse to make the program look bad. This was clearly shown during the "recruiting scandal" when a number of headline reports turned out to be either gross exaggerations or outright falsehoods. On the other hand in Lincoln, Husker football is the closest thing to a state religion. The media is under pressure from the school and the fan base to show the program in the best possible light. Students reporting issues with football players have reported being harassed and intimidated.

None of us knows the facts about this particular incident and it is very possible that the player is innocent or a victim of circumstances. Unfortunately based on past history one has to wonder if in fact the real situation is not being minimized to avoid bad publicity for the program and the possible loss of a key player for the team that is the point of pride for an entire state that has nothing else to hang their hat on.

The difference is in how things have been handled, I would argue that the incidents with Sipilli and Katoa were both significantly less notable than a 230lb guy getting physical with a young woman yet both of them missed an entire season because of it.

Katoa assaulted two people. He struck an individual on the head with a rock in his hand. The man required stitches. The second one he assaulted did not.

Sipili sent a man to the hospital. He required facial SURGERY! Even then, Hawkins suspended Sipili for just 3 games. It was the university who stepped in and suspended him for the year. Perri, who was also involved in that fight, was suspended for 3 games, and then allowed to come back to the team.

On the other hand when he was the head coach, the current kNU athletic director suspended Lawrence Phillips for a whopping couple of games for dragging a girl down a flight of stairs by the hair, and it was not even close to his first incedent.

What was Phillips's first incident? Also, he was suspended for 6 games. Definitely should have been longer IMO, but again, my point is we have had our fair share of dolts as well. I'm sure you remember the mugshot lineup from the Coach Mac days. Mac received the same type of heat Osborne received.

Again, my only point...we live in a glass house. We had something like 13 players arrested over the past year and a half. It happens.

Last edited:
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1007153/1/index.htm

This article from SI in 1995 clearly describes the efforts Dr. Tom made to keep "his boys" out of legal trouble so they could stay on the field. The article mentions the leagal issues at CU and at OU but to look at just the list of transgretions from this time in Husker football and the severity of the issues it is clear that a different standard was at work. The man behind it all is now the AD and has never shown any sense of remorse for his actions.

The problems at CU did exist but never did CU have a guy practicing with the team who was waiting for a court date on Attempted Murder and Use of a weapon to commit a felony. At the same time another player on the team in good standing was facing charges of Unlawful discharge of a firearm and use of a firearm to commit a felony. Then we had that minor little incedent of Christian Peter pleading no contest to Third degree sexual assault better known as rape. This charge had been delayed for over two years to keep him eligible and to try to convince the victim to drop charges.

It is clear that Osborne had been aware for some time that Phillips might be trouble. In March 1994 he was alleged to have grabbed a student from another college around the neck. Misdemeanor charges were dropped after he agreed to pay $400 to repair a necklace that was broken, though he failed to complete a mandated diversion program.

This part of the article clearly shows that Phillips propensity for violence and talent for getting sideways with the law was not news to Osborne. And yes he was suspended for six games, quickly reduced to two.

Compared to the level of bending and stretching of the law present in Lincoln at this time the "mugshot lineup" that you refer to was minor league. Yes, CU had, has, and will continue to have incedents. This is a reality when you are dealing with young men in a college environment. My guess is that if you randomly picked 100 young male students out of the general population of either university you would have a similar number of run-ins with the law if not more. When I was in school I remember plenty of guys getting drunk driving charges, drunkenness charges, possetion charges, assault charges for fights with other stupid young men, etc.

The difference very clearly is the reaction to the incidents. It is clear that their is a different standard in Nebraska as to how to handle these things.

By the way, Sipili did send a man to the hospital, this was after the person with Sipili had be illegally stuck with a Tazer, in the Katoa incident he was also responding to violence on the part of the other parties. This in no way excuses their actions and in no way should their actions have been minimized. I can only say that had their actions occured in Lincoln and had the actions ever reached public view I can guarantee that the price they paid for their errors would have been less. The record proves it out.

We do live in a glass house because Boulder and the Denver media are highly sensitive to this kind of behavior. We don't have anybody facing rape charges or attempted murder charges playing for us on Saturdays and we don't have administrators who have shown that they think that that is okay and appropriate.

By the way, Sipili did send a man to the hospital, this was after the person with Sipili had be illegally stuck with a Tazer, in the Katoa incident he was also responding to violence on the part of the other parties. This in no way excuses their actions and in no way should their actions have been minimized. I can only say that had their actions occured in Lincoln and had the actions ever reached public view I can guarantee that the price they paid for their errors would have been less. The record proves it out.

We do live in a glass house because Boulder and the Denver media are highly sensitive to this kind of behavior. We don't have anybody facing rape charges or attempted murder charges playing for us on Saturdays and we don't have administrators who have shown that they think that that is okay and appropriate.

I wasn't aware of the use of a tazer in the Sipili/Perri incident.

I do agree that the CU players face a different level of local scrutiny that has been amplified on the national level.

Most telling, in my mind, were the remarks of the Boulder Police following the Geer fight.

The officer speaking to the BDC acknowledged that Geer had been punched, but speculated that Geer threw the first blow. When the officer was asked how Geer could have thrown the first blow considering he broke the other belligerant's jaw while knocking him to the ground. The officer responded that she felt it was reasonable that Geer punched him, broke his jaw, and as he was falling the other guy got his shot in.:lol::lol:

Only after multiple witnesses described a very different scene, were the charges downgraded.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1007153/1/index.htm

This article from SI in 1995 clearly describes the efforts Dr. Tom made to keep "his boys" out of legal trouble so they could stay on the field. The article mentions the leagal issues at CU and at OU but to look at just the list of transgretions from this time in Husker football and the severity of the issues it is clear that a different standard was at work. The man behind it all is now the AD and has never shown any sense of remorse for his actions.

Again, you quickly disgard the trouble we went through in the early 90's. And again under Barnett during the rape scandal. Barry Turner's situation has nothing to do with LP. It has nothing to do with what NU did in 1995 or what CU did in 1990. We shouldn't be celebrating Turner's news, and giving Nebraska hell for it, when we've had our fair share of incidents, both in the distant past and more recently.

This part of the article clearly shows that Phillips propensity for violence and talent for getting sideways with the law was not news to Osborne. And yes he was suspended for six games, quickly reduced to two.

Reduced to 2? Then why did he not play for 6 games? Osborne suspended LP 6 games for his pathetic actions. Hawkins suspended Sipili 3 games for his pathetic actions. Again, glass houses...

By the way, Sipili did send a man to the hospital, this was after the person with Sipili had be illegally stuck with a Tazer, in the Katoa incident he was also responding to violence on the part of the other parties. This in no way excuses their actions and in no way should their actions have been minimized.

That is absolutely ridiculous. That'd be like stating: Well, LP beat his broad up after he found out he was cheating on her. But, I'm not stating that to excuse it."

Whoever hit that guy with the Tazer had already left the party. He was no longer there. Sipili caused major facial injuries and brain trauma to someone ELSE.

As CU fans, we think the liberal media is highly sensitive to the crimes committed by our players. In Nebraska, they think the conservative media does the exact same thing.

Last edited:
BuffMania

Which Lincoln media outlet do you work for. As I have clearly stated, CU is in no way clean of the stain of player misconduct but if you think that the level of severity or the failure to respond to the incidents is in any way comparable then you have clearly spent to much time listening to the kNU propaganda machine.

Mac had some players who had incidents, he generally dealt with them and few repeated the problems, Caruth was by all reports an excellent character while at CU and has no (zero) documented issues against him in his time on campus. None of CU incidents approached the level of the NU felonies and under Mac the discipline was more severe than than issued by Osborne. The program did get out of control under Neu but he is also not our current AD, he has had similar issues at his other stops in the college FB world. Again as the the big "recruiting scandal" it has been clearly shown to have been a case of very little fact snowballing into a huge story by some reporters looking for sensationalism and a person in the DA's office who was interested in political gain over the truth. In short CU got the Duke lacrosse treatment before Duke did. This is not dragging a girl down the stairs by the hair, attempted murder, using guns in felonies, rape convictions.

If you cannot see the difference then you probably need to either stop drinking or return to school for a better education in critical analysis. If either of these is not the case then go back to a fusker site where they all have figured out how to ignore reality like you have.

Again, you quickly disgard the trouble we went through in the early 90's. And again under Barnett during the rape scandal. Barry Turner's situation has nothing to do with LP. It has nothing to do with what NU did in 1995 or what CU did in 1990. We shouldn't be celebrating Turner's news, and giving Nebraska hell for it, when we've had our fair share of incidents, both in the distant past and more recently.

I don't see why not. It is the duty of any good CU fan to take pleasure in nebraska failures and to give them hell for it. Fair or not, hypocritical or not. Doesn't make it right, just the way it is.

Do you remember the "Get out of Jail Free" cards that we got to hold up when Phillips came back off his suspension. Ah, good times.

Back