What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Huskers first to be rejected by Tad

I certainly don't think that Nebraska has a better program than Colorado.

However, Illinois has a better program in nearly every regard:

1. Money (obviously CU is strapped for Cash right now while Illinois is ready to shell out the big bucks for a coach)
2. Facilities
3. Program Tradition (tournament, sweet 16, final 4s, conference champions, etc.)
4. Conference (7 bid Big 10 versus 2 bid Pac 12)
5. Recruiting base (more talent in and around state versus Colorado being surround by empty states)
6. Fans (Illinois and especially their students are great basketball fans and show up)

Colorado had a nice tournament run but Illinois arguably had as good of a regular season as CU. Illinois faded while CU peaked which is why they lost a coach and Boyle is a hot commodity. Also expectations are higher at Illinois.

1. Illinois has never shelled out big bucks for coach. The next time they do this it will be the first.

2. Wrong.....have you been to a game at Illinois? They have been trying to years to get money for improvements and have been unable to.

3. I will give you this but their best runs were under Lou and Self and neither lasted very long. As someone mentioned they are not a Duke or Kansas.

4. Conferences go in cycles.

5. The talent is in Chicago and the Chicago athlete has never shown consistent interest in Illinois. They don't look at Illinois as "their team" and most of the big time athletes in Chicago end up going out of state.

6. They do have a good fans but you look at how we responded to having a good program and our students really brought it.

1. Illinois has never shelled out big bucks for coach. The next time they do this it will be the first.

2. Wrong.....have you been to a game at Illinois? They have been trying to years to get money for improvements and have been unable to.

3. I will give you this but their best runs were under Lou and Self and neither lasted very long. As someone mentioned they are not a Duke or Kansas.

4. Conferences go in cycles.

5. The talent is in Chicago and the Chicago athlete has never shown consistent interest in Illinois. They don't look at Illinois as "their team" and most of the big time athletes in Chicago end up going out of state.

6. They do have a good fans but you look at how we responded to having a good program and our students really brought it.

1. 1.5 mil base for Weber is significantly higher than Boyles 500Kish base salary. I guess 1.5 mil is big bucks to me ::shrug:: I don't know what your definition is.

2. Okay I guess I can back down on that. I wasnt saying they were good, simply that their facilities were better than CUs. Would you admit they are equal?

3. Illinois is not Royalty but they are on the step below that. They are a good BCS program with an avid fan base that wants to be good. They have shown some amount of commitment.

4. In terms of national cache the Pac 12 is behind the Big East, Big 10 and (at least in my opinion) the Big 12. Even when the Pac 12 is up they dont usually send as many teams to the tourny as the Big 10.

5. Even if they never recruited Chicago they go into Michigan, Ohio, Penn, etc. Lots of Big Cities with good talent. Colorado has Denver and then... Scottsbluff? Salt Lake City? AZ? Colorado just switched conferences and has to refocus its recruiting targets to an extent.

1. 1.5 mil base for Weber is significantly higher than Boyles 500Kish base salary. I guess 1.5 mil is big bucks to me ::shrug:: I don't know what your definition is.

2. Okay I guess I can back down on that. I wasnt saying they were good, simply that their facilities were better than CUs. Would you admit they are equal?

3. Illinois is not Royalty but they are on the step below that. They are a good BCS program with an avid fan base that wants to be good. They have shown some amount of commitment.

4. In terms of national cache the Pac 12 is behind the Big East, Big 10 and (at least in my opinion) the Big 12. Even when the Pac 12 is up they dont usually send as many teams to the tourny as the Big 10.

5. Even if they never recruited Chicago they go into Michigan, Ohio, Penn, etc. Lots of Big Cities with good talent. Colorado has Denver and then... Scottsbluff? Salt Lake City? AZ? Colorado just switched conferences and has to refocus its recruiting targets to an extent.

1. With incentives I think Boyle is at about a million this year and that is going to have to increase for us to keep him and probably would have to be well north of 1.5. Not sure the exact salary numbers of the big boys but I think Izzo and coaches like him are around 4 and I think Pitino is more than that.

2. CU has better practice facilities but the arenas are both in the same shape and that shape is "in need of some touch ups"

3. Agreed but a lot of schools fit this description. You could lump in the Purdues, Washington, Pitt, Texas, etc...

4. Agree for the most part. Pac has a lot of work to do but when they are up they are one of the top conferences. Not Top 3 but Top 5.

5. Colorado has had a nice amount of in state talent recently and then we have California which we have recruited very well over the last two classes and already looking good there for next year. Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis should be enough to make Illinois a power but they have never been able to sustain it.

My family would expect me to speak up for the Fighting Illini. Hoops in Illinois, and especially at the U of I, is seen as a birthright, the same as in Indiana or Kansas. While not the historical giant that those schools are, or nearly as successful, the fanbase feels similarly entitled.

Were talking 5 Final Fours, near 30 Tourney appearances, and a litany of current and former NBA talent. Additionally, we're talking national relevance for most of the past 30 years. Its a good basketball school, in a strong basketball conference. Anyone with an iota of unbiased credibility would consider Illinois a step up from CU in hoops.

Still, I think Tad would stay.

My family would expect me to speak up for the Fighting Illini. Hoops in Illinois, and especially at the U of I, is seen as a birthright, the same as in Indiana or Kansas. While not the historical giant that those schools are, or nearly as successful, the fanbase feels similarly entitled.

Were talking 5 Final Fours, near 30 Tourney appearances, and a litany of current and former NBA talent. Additionally, we're talking national relevance for most of the past 30 years. Its a good basketball school, in a strong basketball conference. Anyone with an iota of unbiased credibility would consider Illinois a step up from CU in hoops.

Still, I think Tad would stay.

This part is very very true.....

1. With incentives I think Boyle is at about a million this year and that is going to have to increase for us to keep him and probably would have to be well north of 1.5. Not sure the exact salary numbers of the big boys but I think Izzo and coaches like him are around 4 and I think Pitino is more than that.

2. CU has better practice facilities but the arenas are both in the same shape and that shape is "in need of some touch ups"

3. Agreed but a lot of schools fit this description. You could lump in the Purdues, Washington, Pitt, Texas, etc...

4. Agree for the most part. Pac has a lot of work to do but when they are up they are one of the top conferences. Not Top 3 but Top 5.

5. Colorado has had a nice amount of in state talent recently and then we have California which we have recruited very well over the last two classes and already looking good there for next year. Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis should be enough to make Illinois a power but they have never been able to sustain it.

Boyle will make a reported 625K this year with incentives. Webers base was at least 1.5. You would think Illinois would pay their next coach a comparable amount if not more...

Boyle will make a reported 625K this year with incentives. Webers base was at least 1.5. You would think Illinois would pay their next coach a comparable amount if not more...

I think Boyle ended up making $890k this year.

Whatever that number is, he actually turned down a bigger raise when it was offered to him this year. Money is there to match pretty much anything if that becomes necessary.

Edit: dply proves he's good for something other than indecent exposure and that Fuskers are still good for nothing. :smile2:

This talk of Illinois is kind of off topic as Tad has not been linked and it looks like Illinois is going all in on Shaka Smart.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1140...g-shaka-smart-to-be-its-basketball-coach.html

But Smart's concern on Illinois is one we were discussing:

One big issue is getting a handle on Chicago recruiting. While there are many talented players there, it’s complicated recruiting turf because of players’ entourages, academic realities and its tradition of being an open city that’s recruited by schools near and far.

Smart wants to make sure he assesses that situation carefully, the source said, and doesn’t simply accept the view that Chicago makes Illinois a sleeping giant.

I doubt money will ever be a problem with Boyle, if he gets a good offer, Im sure CU would be willing to match it. Boyle will only leave if hes offered by a program like Duke, Kansas, or UNC... Im not completely sure he would be a first thought for most schools like Duke or UNC, just because of the lack of familiarity with Colorado, and while Kansas would probably offer if they needed to, I doubt Bill Self is on the way out anytime soon.

I doubt money will ever be a problem with Boyle, if he gets a good offer, Im sure CU would be willing to match it. Boyle will only leave if hes offered by a program like Duke, Kansas, or UNC... Im not completely sure he would be a first thought for most schools like Duke or UNC, just because of the lack of familiarity with Colorado, and while Kansas would probably offer if they needed to, I doubt Bill Self is on the way out anytime soon.

I think Self did his best coaching job this year. That team should not have been able to win the Big 12-2-1+1-1+1 this year.

I think Self did his best coaching job this year. That team should not have been able to win the Big 12-2-1+1-1+1 this year.

Agreed, if he were 70 or having a hard time coaching, I'd be worried, but I feel like he is going to be with Kansas for a quite a while longer.

Hey husker fan do you go around slobbering on every big ten schools knob and this is illinois week or do ypu have an open crush on them

Okay, 1 million.

Last time I checked: 1 mil < 1.5mil (+incentives)

The marketplace speaks. Everyone has a price, and the price needed to attract sane people to Lincoln is half a million a year.

5. Recruiting base (more talent in and around state versus Colorado being surround by empty states)

Hi, have you met our TOP 25 RECRUITING CLASS? http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...ings?classyear=2012&classmonth=3&viewmore=yes

now,

GTFO.png

Again, if you were talking Tim Miles it might be a different situation. He is a native of S. Dakota (a neighbor of Nebraska with similar weather) and spent much of his rise through the coaching ranks in the northern plains states. He is also at a school that doesn't have the resources to match salaries or facilities with major conference schools.

Tad on the other hand would have to have a very good reason to leave CU. He is a Colorado native, played his HS ball in Colorado, coached HS ball in Colorado and got his first head coaching job in Colorado at Northern Colorado before going to CU. His wife is a native of Greeley Colorado as well. They both have family here and want to raise their kids here. Tad has stated both before and after getting the job that CU was his dream job.

Tad certainly deserves a raise. I don't think anybody would dispute that. So what that they gave him a raise just a couple weeks ago. Give him another one. Don't let anybody even think of hiring him away.

Tad certainly deserves a raise. I don't think anybody would dispute that. So what that they gave him a raise just a couple weeks ago. Give him another one. Don't let anybody even think of hiring him away.

^^^^^ THIS. ^^^^^ A thousand times over and then again.

Things are simple for Tad and CU. If he wants something, he will ask for it, and it will be given to him.

I have less respect for Andy Katz based on the fact that he didn't mention that this was a one in a million shot by Nebraska, and that Tad would be stupid to even consider such a crazy move. Nebraska? Really? Just plain stupid.

Back