What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Huskers stepping up their schedule...

Hey, hey, hey ... they do play UTEP ON THE ROAD. Scheduling a road game is one step up from their already murderous OOC schedule in 2007.

Yeah, I forgot. I remember Texas was pounding their chest about UTEP as well this year. Nice 28.5 point spread. I loved how quickly that thought of UTEP went away after they got beat on by Buffalo

Fair enough. We'll agree to disagree about that then. I'm not perfect about it, sometimes it slips through but I try to remember that while they're my team outside of supporting them and donating I personally do not have an effect or a stake in the winning or losing. I've grown to really despise the tendency of many husker fans to interpret the success of an amateur sports team (at an academic institution many of them did not attend) as some kind of personal virtue. As though they were personally better people because the huskers were so great. But hey that's just my opinion. Do with it what you will. :smile:

:thumbsup: Spot on, with every point.

In my mind it becomes a "we" or "us" NOT through validation, but rather through a sense of community with a shared interest.

Duke @ Kansas next year. I wonder if Dickie V will be there? Oh it's football not basketball.

KU also plays UNC, no not North Carolina, Northern Colorado.

You beg to differ? We aren't KSU. We don't duck anyone. But as has been pointed out many times already, it's all about $$$$. We have a large stadium that sells out no matter who we're playing, generating a lot of revenue for the University. If there's the choice between a home game against a nobody or an away game at a small stadium where the payout is minimal, which do you think the AD is gonna choose?

I can agree with your argument above - it is a luxury to be able to sell out no matter what.

But the statement that people don't want to play you is laughable. Maybe you could say that in the 90's but this decade I am sure there are plenty of cupcakes who would like a piece of you all.

Last edited:
I can agree with your argument above - it is a luxury to be able to sell ouot no matter what.

But the statement that people don't want to play you is laughable. Maybe you could say that in the 90's but this decade I am sure there are plenty of cupcakes who would like a piece of you all.

Ball St. didn't look too scared to play in Lincoln last year

I would also say that it sounds like SJSU gave the fuskers all they could handle into the 4th quarter. Really shouldn't be taking shots at this point about EWU.

Wow, living in the past much? Sorry friend but nebraska isn't scaring anyone anymore. It might get back to the top and if so I'll tip my hat to them but not today, or tomorrow. Oh and unless you're on the team or associated directly with the program saying "us" is pretty ridiculous. Isn't there a huskerpedia for you folks?

Considering I grew up in Lincoln, worked at the stadium, have been to tons of games and numerous football camps there, and have a degree from there I feel a pretty strong connection to the university and the football program. Big difference between NU and CU fans, I think.

Considering I grew up in Lincoln, worked at the stadium, have been to tons of games and numerous football camps there, and have a degree from there I feel a pretty strong connection to the university and the football program. Big difference between NU and CU fans, I think.

You and I are 180 on this one.

Nebraska's program, with a lack of competition from other sporting options (this isn't a judgment, but simply a fact) is more likely to attract fans with a looser affiliation with the program. While your personal association is somewhat extreme, pretty much anybody born in the state (i.e. my crazy grandparents in-law) of nebraska is pretty rabid for that team.

The CU fans, on the other hand, have waded through a myriad of sporting team options and, in my opinion, are more likely to have a direct affiliation with the university.

That's always been my impression, anyway.

It's about time some of the other schools in the B12 North start playing tougher NC schedules that arn't entirely made up of cupcake teams. Although, KU & KSU never met a cupcake they didn't like. And I don't expect them to change that anytime soon.

KU for sure, but the players never got any because Mangino ate them all.:smile2:

[/B]

You and I are 180 on this one.

Nebraska's program, with a lack of competition from other sporting options (this isn't a judgment, but simply a fact) is more likely to attract fans with a looser affiliation with the program. While your personal association is somewhat extreme, pretty much anybody born in the state (i.e. my crazy grandparents in-law) of nebraska is pretty rabid for that team.

The CU fans, on the other hand, have waded through a myriad of sporting team options and, in my opinion, are more likely to have a direct affiliation with the university.

That's always been my impression, anyway.

I can agree with this. Part of it too is the fact that a lot of CU students are out of state kids who never had any ties to the university or it's football program and therefore really don't give a s***. They go to the games for something to do or a reason to get drunk and be obnoxious. When I was in college, if NU lost, it ruined everyone's night. Seriously. We'd go to parties and everyone would be subdued. I just don't see that happening at CU. You have your core group of fans, the diehards (pretty much everyone on this board I'd guess), but I can gurantee you that if you took everyone in Memorial Stadium on any given Saturday, 80-90% of them are diehards who feel serious ties to the program. (Cue "There's nothing else to do in NE" jokes.)

I can agree with this. Part of it too is the fact that a lot of CU students are out of state kids who never had any ties to the university or it's football program and therefore really don't give a s***. They go to the games for something to do or a reason to get drunk and be obnoxious. When I was in college, if NU lost, it ruined everyone's night. Seriously. We'd go to parties and everyone would be subdued. I just don't see that happening at CU. You have your core group of fans, the diehards (pretty much everyone on this board I'd guess), but I can gurantee you that if you took everyone in Memorial Stadium on any given Saturday, 80-90% of them are diehards who feel serious ties to the program. (Cue "There's nothing else to do in NE" jokes.)

That's because there's nothing else to do in NE. :smile:

I have no problem with that. I salute your bonafides with the university. However I can count on one hand the number of nebraska fans I know that have a legitimate connection to the program. I don't have a problem with people from a region identifying culturally to the football team because they have no other sports options, but it does get pretty galling when a lot of the type of nebraska fans who would lets say 'troll' a CU forum act as if they personally have 5 NC rings and their sh*t doesn't stink. I'm glad you're not one of those but seriously, is there not a huskerpedia that would better suit you?

I pretty much think you're dead on there....granted it ruins my entire week if the Buffs lose, and prolly does for most people here, but I've heard numerous people after a loss go, "Oh Well, Hopefully the Broncos win tomorrow." or "win or lose we still booze" and go party anyways. A lot of that has to attribute to the many other things to do around here, and a little bit to the culture of the CU students/alumns.

My whole family is from the Omaha/Sioux City area and are big Husker fans with no relation to the school at all...I've got cousins that graduated from ISU and still are big Husker fans because that's what they grew up relating to...you just don't see that kind of connection to people around here unless they graduated from CU because of all the Pro teams that this city can relate to.

I have no problem with that. I salute your bonafides with the university. However I can count on one hand the number of nebraska fans I know that have a legitimate connection to the program. I don't have a problem with people from a region identifying culturally to the football team because they have no other sports options, but it does get pretty galling when a lot of the type of nebraska fans who would lets say 'troll' a CU forum act as if they personally have 5 NC rings and their sh*t doesn't stink. I'm glad you're not one of those but seriously, is there not a huskerpedia that would better suit you?

And I completely agree with you on the trolling thing. There are fans of CU and KSU who come to Husker boards to do the same. I don't care who you are, that's stupid and uncalled for. I will be the first to neg rep a husker fan who comes on here and tries that stuff. Just curious, but what are your ties to CU? Using your argument, if you are a Colorado native, why not the Broncos or the Nuggets? Or is it that you think that the passion that Colorado sports fans have is spread around between the various teams?

P.S. My personal opinion is that those guys come here to troll because if you go to almost any NU board it's just a bunch of guys agreeing with one another all the time. That gets old.
:thumbsup:

Curiously though... from the late 80's to early 90's I think a lot of Coloradoans did feel like the Buffs were 'our' team. Because of the plucky underdog persona those teams had and the fact that they went up against big bad Notre Dame and finally won one. It was like Rocky II with the Buffs as Rocky. Also, remember when ALL of the games were televised? Remember when if a game wasn't broadcast nationally it was shown on channel 4? The coming of the Big XII changed all that. Their tv contracts didn't allow for regional broadcast deals anymore and local, casual attention drifted off the Buffs and back to the Broncos and friends. I think this as much as anything helped kill any devoted following the Buffs might have developed. It's sad really. At one 3 season stretch from 94-96' The Buffaloes went 31-5, top 5 ranking all three years and had a heisman winner. If 94' hadn't happened to coincide with a monster year from nebraska it would have been the second national championship for CU. Penn State didn't have anything for Colorado, all due respect to Kerry Collins and company. Anyway, as I opined... the Big XII did a job on local interest and the sports market is already saturated in Colorado. I guess unless the Buffs happen to win another NC sometime it's not going to be more than a niche program.

Curiously though... from the late 80's to early 90's I think a lot of Coloradoans did feel like the Buffs were 'our' team. Because of the plucky underdog persona those teams had and the fact that they went up against big bad Notre Dame and finally won one. It was like Rocky II with the Buffs as Rocky. Also, remember when ALL of the games were televised? Remember when if a game wasn't broadcast nationally it was shown on channel 4? The coming of the Big XII changed all that. Their tv contracts didn't allow for regional broadcast deals anymore and local, casual attention drifted off the Buffs and back to the Broncos and friends. I think this as much as anything helped kill any devoted following the Buffs might have developed. It's sad really. At one 3 season stretch from 94-96' The Buffaloes went 31-5, top 5 ranking all three years and had a heisman winner. If 94' hadn't happened to coincide with a monster year from nebraska it would have been the second national championship for CU. Penn State didn't have anything for Colorado, all due respect to Kerry Collins and company. Anyway, as I opined... the Big XII did a job on local interest and the sports market is already saturated in Colorado. I guess unless the Buffs happen to win another NC sometime it's not going to be more than a niche program.

Doesn't that bug the hell out of you, as a solid CU fan? I hate bandwagoners like USC and all the people around here last year that were "lifelong, diehard Rockies!" For me, CFB is a passion that should never come and go. If you were a CU fan when they were winning all the time, how can you just abandon them now? I believe that I'm in the position that a lot of you guys are too. We've had the title. We've been on top of the world and it was a hell of a ride getting there. Now I'm standing by my team waiting for that next ride. Will it ever come again? Who knows, but I'll be here watching, waiting, cheering, and crying till the day I die.

And I completely agree with you on the trolling thing. There are fans of CU and KSU who come to Husker boards to do the same. I don't care who you are, that's stupid and uncalled for. I will be the first to neg rep a husker fan who comes on here and tries that stuff. Just curious, but what are your ties to CU? Using your argument, if you are a Colorado native, why not the Broncos or the Nuggets? Or is it that you think that the passion that Colorado sports fans have is spread around between the various teams?
P.S. My personal opinion is that those guys come here to troll because if you go to almost any NU board it's just a bunch of guys agreeing with one another all the time. That gets old.

1. That's been my point from the beginning. The comparative majority of CU fans actually graduated from the university. The rest of the Coloradans are more inclined to root exclusively (okay, okay, I know there's a lot of overlap) for the Broncos/Avs/Rox etc...

2. HSkR: We're awesome.

HsCKR: Yes we are!

hUskkER: And don't forget classy!

HSkr: The classiest, according to 18 national sports magazines.

HsCKR: We really are classy. Really, really classy.

CRN HSKR: I like the way we clap for other teams, win or lose.

HRBY HSKR: Yes, that's what makes us soooo classy.

GANZ4HEISMAN: Red is a good color.

HSCCKKR: I LOVE RED!

I am a Colorado native, NEVER attended the University of Colorado, and the buffs have always been my #1 team.
My story goes like this.
My grandfather played football for the University of Nebraska. He met my grandma and they moved to Colorado. He then attended CU for another degree. He became a CU season ticket holder. My dad went to CU and played for the buffs freshmen team back in '70 I believe. My grandparents and parents are 25+ year season ticket holders. Actually my grandparents stopped three years ago because it's just too much for them anymore. I have been going to buff games my whole life, I bleed black and gold and always will.
Oh and my garage is full of buff stuff. I can't wait till we get a house with a basement, so I can make it into a gameday basement with Big screen T, bar, pool table, and buff stuff everywhere. :thumbsup:

Doesn't that bug the hell out of you, as a solid CU fan? I hate bandwagoners like USC and all the people around here last year that were "lifelong, diehard Rockies!" For me, CFB is a passion that should never come and go. If you were a CU fan when they were winning all the time, how can you just abandon them now? I believe that I'm in the position that a lot of you guys are too. We've had the title. We've been on top of the world and it was a hell of a ride getting there. Now I'm standing by my team waiting for that next ride. Will it ever come again? Who knows, but I'll be here watching, waiting, cheering, and crying till the day I die.

I don't worry about the rest of the fan base. I love CU football, and that's all that matters. Win or lose, I love the struggle, the game etc...

Would it be nice to sell out 80,000 seats for every home game? Yes, that would be awesome. On the other hand, I typically view the CU fanbase as smaller but devoted (post-student fanbase). Maybe I'm wrong, but again. I'm a fan for me, nobody else. If they're along for the ride, great. If not, it's no skin off my nuts.

Interestingly, and by no means a legitimate sample...

The nebraska grads that I've worked with are far less inclined to follow football than I am. But back to my crazy grandparents in-law in South Platte...

I am a Colorado native, NEVER attended the University of Colorado, and the buffs have always been my #1 team.
My story goes like this.
My grandfather played football for the University of Nebraska. He met my grandma and they moved to Colorado. He then attended CU for another degree. He became a CU season ticket holder. My dad went to CU and played for the buffs freshmen team back in '70 I believe. My grandparents and parents are 25+ year season ticket holders. Actually my grandparents stopped three years ago because it's just too much for them anymore. I have been going to buff games my whole life, I bleed black and gold and always will.
Oh and my garage is full of buff stuff. I can't wait till we get a house with a basement, so I can make it into a gameday basement with Big screen T, bar, pool table, and buff stuff everywhere. :thumbsup:

Great story! Way to blow my "theory" out of the water.

I'm just the opposite. An out-of-stater, with no previous affiliation, who graduated from CU and similarly bleeds black and gold.

That's a fair question. I'm a graduate. But that's not why I'm a fan. I've been a fan since childhood. I'm also a Broncos fan and I love the Avalanche and I can tolerate the Nuggets and Rockies but my first sports priority is the Buffaloes. I can't really speak for the rest but yeah I think the Colorado sports fan in general has his or her loyalty spread around the various teams. As for the trolls. I won't say I've never checked out huskerpedia but I wouldn't post there even if it were free because I just don't see the point in fighting with them over amateur athletics. You know?

That's a fair question. I'm a graduate. But that's not why I'm a fan. I've been a fan since childhood. I'm also a Broncos fan and I love the Avalanche and I can tolerate the Nuggets and Rockies but my first sports priority is the Buffaloes. I can't really speak for the rest but yeah I think the Colorado sports fan in general has his or her loyalty spread around the various teams. As for the trolls. I won't say I've never checked out huskerpedia but I wouldn't post there even if it were free because I just don't see the point in fighting with them over amateur athletics. You know?

Good call. Huskerpedia is unbearable. If you ever want to go to a good board with no homers or regulations, check out redout.org. It's free and there are a few guys from this board over there too. Good place to say whatever you want without restrictions.

My story goes like this.

That makes two of us. That's gotta be every sportsfans dream to have the basement decked in your teams stuff.

Very well stated that is exactly how I feel!!:thumbsup:

Good call. Huskerpedia is unbearable. If you ever want to go to a good board with no homers or regulations, check out redout.org. It's free and there are a few guys from this board over there too. Good place to say whatever you want without restrictions.

How does Huskerpedia make the pay-to-post work anyway and when did they implement this system? How many "subscribers" do they have right now?

I believe a board can easily become stale when hardly anyone new joins the gang and I sure as hell wouldn´t pay to post without having the option of getting my feet wet a little first.

Back