1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypolite

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by broncos1, Sep 8, 2008.

1. broncos1

broncos1 Member

So I know he is a fan favorite but what is everyone's honest opinion on how he has played this year so far. He was nominated for All Big 12 Team and a potential award winner on the defensive line. Does anyone think he has been dominant like those distinctions suggest? What is everyone's thoughts. I don't have a big opinion either way but I thought he would be a little more disruptive especially in these first few games.

2. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I made it a point to watch George most of the game on Sat and he was getting DT'd all day. There were a few plays where he was lining up as a DE with Lucas inside when they ran a 3-4 and he did well out there. He's been quiet from a statistical standpoint, but he's been very active and has allowed the LBs to roam free on the running plays to make a play. He's also an invaluable leader on the field and in the locker room.

3. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Quiet thus far....

4. Skidmark

Skidmark Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Big George had a huge game against CSU...in 2007.

Turn it up!

5. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

He has done incredibly well for being DT't both games. He is doing exactly what you want a good tackle to do; stop up the middle and free up the LBs. Taking 2 linemen out of each play is huge.

6. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Like Superior and MP have said, it's tough to do much when you're getting DT'd all day. But he still creates havoc in the backfield despite the DT. The opposing OC's have to draw up their game plan with him in mind. He's every bit the player everyone says he is.

7. broncos1

broncos1 Member

I guess our other lineman are really not taking advantage of the double teams. Except for Brad Jones, I get the feeling that we have underachievers in Nicolas and Lucas

8. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

Lucas came in and started as a true freshman and then had the Richard Roby affect....stunk ever since....definately an underachiever....but if Big George is getting DT'd all the time where are the other guys to make the plays???

9. Sexton Hardcastle

Did you just mention Nicholas and underachiever in the same sentence? Really? Nicholas has been a solid DT as they come.

10. broncos1

broncos1 Member

I am thinking about sack production. Do we have anybody that we can count on to consistently get in the quarterbacks face? I don't think Nicolas is that guy granted he is a DT but in the Big 12, you can't let QB's sit back in the pocket.

11. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

THe huge part is not just requiring a double team. its getting that DT and then holding his ground or forcing the DT into places they don't want to be. I was very impressed with his effect on EWU's running game. When two Olinemen can't get a push on 1 DT, it just ruins a running game. I think he has been great so far.

12. broncos1

broncos1 Member

Who is going to provide the sacks this year?

13. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

The DT's have done what they're supposed to do - take up blockers, clog the middle, and refuse to let the OL get a push inside. You usually don't get much sack production from the guys inside, unless the D line runs a stunt or the DB's hold really good coverage. Big George had 6+ sacks last season, which is a good # for a DT, IMO.

It will be interesting to see how well they do the next few games against ramped up opponents.

14. Sexton Hardcastle

Does anyone know when Beatty is expected to return?

15. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

"CU lists linebacker B.J. Beatty, who reinjured a hairline facture in his leg against CSU, as out for the next three to four weeks. "

From the TimesCall Article: http://www.timescall.com/news_story.asp?ID=11236

16. Sexton Hardcastle

17. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

Hypolite is to the Colorado Buffs as Dwight Freeney is to the Indianapolis Colts.

Yeah, I went there.

18. Sexton Hardcastle

:yeahthat: I got your back. :lol::thumbsup:

19. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

I think he had 1.5 vs CSU.:wow:

20. broncos1

broncos1 Member

Lets hope he keeps it up. We need him to be huge this year since I don't know if Lucas will pan out. First impressions on Brad Jones playing alot of Defensive End?

21. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

I like it when Jones is at DE for passing downs. He brings more pure speed than our regular DE's (naturally), and has been able to put pressure on the qb.