What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I am pumped for the season

C'mon, CU is not an attractive job for anyone who has options, getting Bz here was a coup. He gutted hourse, and by all accounts we are in better shape and have more talent now than when he got here. Patton went to how many tourneys again? Bz was only here for ywo years, which sucks, but attendance was way up, the team is more fun to watch, and we have a legitimate star on the team for the new coach. He was a good hire IMO.

Patton went to the tourney twice and the NIT four times. Buzz was here three years and finished dead last two of those years. I actually like Bzdelik, but to paint his tenure as successful is stretching it a bit.

i will believe more in Mike Bohn when he hires someone who doesn't already coach on I-25.

Bingo. I actually liked the Boyle hire, but the process left a bit to be desired with three local candidates. It HAS to be a national coaching search for the next football coach. I am not sure Bohn knows how to do that, he seems to take the path of least resistance.

i'm not defending Ricardo per se....he was a cheapo interim hire to keep Chauncey committed. but, winning 7 games in conference, RP could give you that. BZ did it once. it's not like we lost Bobby Knight when BZ took the Wake job.

Not sure I follow. Mike didn't make the decision alone? He's the athletic director. I don't care who he hired to do the coaching search, the responsibility ultimately lies with him and him alone.

How many big time programs let an AD make another hire after his first one fails? My guess is not a lot. I know he does plenty to raise money, and do all the other things you listed, but that stuff should be expected from our AD.

Not true

The job of athletic director entails so much more than hiring and firing coaches. It's public relations, fundraising, marketing, sales, promotion, politics, and hiring and firing coaches. It's extremely rare that you will find one person who is a superstar at all those things. Bohn is great at all of them except for hiring and firing coaches. When he's faced with that part of his job, he gets help. Sometimes the help is good, sometimes it's not. Getting rid of Bohn because he hired Hawkins would be extremely short sighted. The man has worked wonders for the CUAD.

I cannot complain about the job Bohn has done.

Hiring Buzz was a step up for the program, now I think that Boyle has as good a chance to continue the program in the right direction as anyone we could have hired. He is a winner as a HC, gets along great with the players and has big time experience as both a player and an assistant. As has been mentioned here by others, CU basketball doesn't exactly have people knocking down the doors to come here, I don't know of anyone else who would have come that I preferred over Boyle (although I still would have loved to see Mike Dunlap, I don't think he was all that excited about taking the job.)

Bohn has done a great job in the community with fund raising and putting the entire program in a better light and moving forwards, the only thing holding us back is wins. I think the BB wins will come and football will as well either with a turnaround this year or with a new coach next year. The core of talent is here to play better, it just hasn't happened on the field.

We can criticize him for the Hawk hire but at the time, without the benefit of knowing the outcome, who would have been a better choice. Hawk had won big at Boise, he was a media favorite, he had won everywhere he had been. Simple fact is that had Bohn not hired Hawk, some other BCS program would have within the year.

Sometimes coaching decisions don't work out. Almost every school (other than those like Penn State) has at least one guy in their past that was expected to be great who flopped. With all their resources look at how Notre Dame has done, they hired a string of different guys all of who were expected to be big winners and turned out to be ****. Look at Michigan, RichRod was expected to build on what he had done at WVU, kNU with all their resources fired a coach who won 9 games to hire Callahan, the list goes on.

The Hawk hire was the very best option at the time and I don't criticize Bohn for it at all, it is simply a hire that should have worked and didn't. Lets see how his next hire works out before labeling him a failure.

As an AD, when you make a bad hire, the only thing you can do is admit the mistake and try again. There's no guarantee that the guy you hire is going to be the next Bob Stoops or Urban Meyer. You do your homework, take advice from people who are supposed to know these things, and make the most informed decision you can given your budget. I think Bohn has done this in every instance. I find no fault in his approach whatsoever. Getting pissed at Bohn because Hawk is a moron is misplaced anger.

Patton went to the tourney twice and the NIT four times. Buzz was here three years and finished dead last two of those years. I actually like Bzdelik, but to paint his tenure as successful is stretching it a bit.

I bet 99 people out of 100 if given the choice today, would prefer Buzz over Patton. He got hired away by a top ACC school, so either they are dummies, or they realize he is a very good coach who probably would have been very succesful here if he had stuck around.

Regardless, I'm not arguing Buzz had a great tenure here (though I believe it would have been very successful if he had decided to stay), I'm arguing that Buzz was a very good hire by Bohn.

As an AD, when you make a bad hire, the only thing you can do is admit the mistake and try again. There's no guarantee that the guy you hire is going to be the next Bob Stoops or Urban Meyer. You do your homework, take advice from people who are supposed to know these things, and make the most informed decision you can given your budget. I think Bohn has done this in every instance. I find no fault in his approach whatsoever. Getting pissed at Bohn because Hawk is a moron is misplaced anger.

I really don't think our program can afford to let him make mistake after mistake.
KMM- Bad Hire
Hawk - Bad Hire
Bz - Bailed out early. So I guess you can call this his only succesful hire really.

I like Bohn. I really do. I think he's done a great job fundraising, but his job is to produce a successful football team. That's what brings in the bucks. Everything else is details imo. So far he's failed to give CU a succesful football program, and like it or not, that's how he'll be remembered.

KMM - who cares about Women's BB. She was nice to look at.
Hawk - Bohn wasn't the only one who thought Hawk was a homerun hire.
Bz - at the time, it was a great hire. It served it's purpose.

The idea of going after coaches with local ties I think has a lot of merit. Bz had no real ties here other than a house. He had kids who were leaving the roost for other places. I think this is important to consider so that CU doesn't become a stepping stone for folks.

I really don't think our program can afford to let him make mistake after mistake.
KMM- Bad Hire
Hawk - Bad Hire
Bz - Bailed out early. So I guess you can call this his only succesful hire really.

I like Bohn. I really do. I think he's done a great job fundraising, but his job is to produce a successful football team. That's what brings in the bucks. Everything else is details imo. So far he's failed to give CU a succesful football program, and like it or not, that's how he'll be remembered.

No, it's Hawk's job to produce a successfull football team and Bohn's job to build a successful AD and give Hawk all the tools he needs to be successful. By all accounts, Bohn has held up his end of the bargain and even got one of the coveted multi-year contracts allocated to football so Hawk could keep Kiesau.

The failure of the football team falls on Hawk, not Bohn. I understand that Bohn hired Hawk, and he deserves criticism for that, but to want Bohn fired because Hawk has not been as advertised is foolish. A lot of people around the country thought Hawk was a great hire and he's proving a lot of people wrong right now.

KMM - who cares about Women's BB. She was nice to look at.
Hawk - Bohn wasn't the only one who thought Hawk was a homerun hire.
Bz - at the time, it was a great hire. It served it's purpose.

The idea of going after coaches with local ties I think has a lot of merit. Bz had no real ties here other than a house. He had kids who were leaving the roost for other places. I think this is important to consider so that CU doesn't become a stepping stone for folks.

KMM- Nice to look at? Nice logic.
Hawk- Who effing cares if anyone thought it was a good hire "at the time" . It's another bad hire of many in Bohn's resume.

Yeah, let's only hire colorado coaches or coaches with colorado ties.

KMM- Bad Hire
Hawk - Bad Hire

That's the head football coach's job, not Bohn's. Honestly, I think the Bohn bashers really need to step back and take a close look at who is responsible for what.

That's the head football coach's job, not Bohn's. Honestly, I think the Bohn bashers really need to step back and take a close look at who is responsible for what.
Wow. Never thought I'd be called a Bohn basher. Oh well. :lol:

I still don't trust MB to make another hire.

Why does it matter how good he is at fundraising if all of the sports teams are terrible because he can't hire a coach? Oh wait, it doesn't.

The only reason fans should care about the AD's bottom line is when it affects the ability of the athletic teams to be competitive. CU's major sports haven't had a single winning season between them in YEARS. His track record at other schools is less-than-stellar, as well.

He may be a good fundraiser (is he actually that far above average in this regard?) but if the teams aren't winning anyway it doesn't matter, from a fans' perspective at least.

Bottom line is, if CU football wins games, the AD will be successful financially.

If CU goes out and hires a proven, legitimate BCS coach because Bohn is so good at fundraising that we can afford a $2mill+ guy, I will eat crow. If we hire off the scrapheap, then I stand by my words.

Why does it matter how good he is at fundraising if all of the sports teams are terrible because he can't hire a coach? Oh wait, it doesn't.

The only reason fans should care about the AD's bottom line is when it affects the ability of the athletic teams to be competitive. CU's major sports haven't had a single winning season between them in YEARS. His track record at other schools is less-than-stellar, as well.

He may be a good fundraiser (is he actually that far above average in this regard?) but if the teams aren't winning anyway it doesn't matter, from a fans' perspective at least.

Bottom line is, if CU football wins games, the AD will be successful financially.

If CU goes out and hires a proven, legitimate BCS coach because Bohn is so good at fundraising that we can afford a $2mill+ guy, I will eat crow. If we hire off the scrapheap, then I stand by my words.

CU won't be able to afford a $2+ million guy.

Given Bohn's latest hires (Tad Boyle / Linda Lappe) it looks to me like Bohn is going for cheap, local / alumni hires who will be light on the pocketbook and popular with the fans.

I think it is 10x more likely that Bohn hires someone with CU ties (Bienemy / Embree / even Kiesau) in the $1.5 mil range than that he hires a "legitimate BCS coach" (whatever that is) for $2+ mil per year.

As for hiring coaches, hind-sight is 20/20. I say we let that octopus (Paul?) choose the next coach. He's go a pretty good record.

CU won't be able to afford a $2+ million guy.

Given Bohn's latest hires (Tad Boyle / Linda Lappe) it looks to me like Bohn is going for cheap, local / alumni hires who will be light on the pocketbook and popular with the fans.

I think it is 10x more likely that Bohn hires someone with CU ties (Bienemy / Embree / even Kiesau) in the $1.5 mil range than that he hires a "legitimate BCS coach" (whatever that is) for $2+ mil per year.

Proven coaches aren't really that good anyway a second time around in most situtations. The best thign to do is hire a coordinator thats been groomed by a proven winner. Bill McCartney and Bob Stoops are prime examples.

Oh btw, in a few years CU will be able to afford a 2 mill guy.

If CU goes out and hires a proven, legitimate BCS coach..."

Jeez, if that's the answer someone alert the folks in Ann Arbor, or Lincoln for that matter. Pelini should be fired on the spot and why all the whining at UM?

People need to realize that the AD's job is more than just hiring/firing coaches and firing an AD only because of the football team's record is silly.

When your toilet is clogged and your bathroom fills with s**t, you don't tear your house down and rebuild it.

Last edited:
People need to realize that the AD's job is more than just hiring/firing coaches and firing an AD only because of the football team's record is silly.

When your toilet is clogged and your bathroom fills with s**t, you don't tear you house down and rebuild it.

Aw, c'mon. It's a whole lot easier and self-gratifying to over-simplify things. Really, what good is actually understanding something?

Honestly, the people who somehow equate the ineptitude of the football team with Mike Bohn amaze me. Hiring a coach is a crap shoot. OU went through three other coaches before they found Stoops. ND has gone through four guys since Granny Holtz, and we still don't know if Kelly will be worth a damn. UT went through something like 6 guys between Royal and Brown. Do all the AD's in those places suck because they didn't find the next great thing right away? It's an absurd argument. The ridiculousness of it blows my mind. We're in a much, much better place today than we were the day Mike Bohn took over - regardless of the on-field play of the football team. There are people, like Chuck Neinas, whose job it is to evaluate coaching talent and consult with athletic directors when there is a coaching vacancy. If you want to be mad at somebody, be mad at Chuck Neinas. All this talk about "Bohn hired him, so Bohn sucks too" makes me want to strangle the people who say it. It's flat out ignorant.

Honestly, the people who somehow equate the ineptitude of the football team with Mike Bohn amaze me. Hiring a coach is a crap shoot. OU went through three other coaches before they found Stoops. ND has gone through four guys since Granny Holtz, and we still don't know if Kelly will be worth a damn. UT went through something like 6 guys between Royal and Brown. Do all the AD's in those places suck because they didn't find the next great thing right away? It's an absurd argument. The ridiculousness of it blows my mind. We're in a much, much better place today than we were the day Mike Bohn took over - regardless of the on-field play of the football team. There are people, like Chuck Neinas, whose job it is to evaluate coaching talent and consult with athletic directors when there is a coaching vacancy. If you want to be mad at somebody, be mad at Chuck Neinas. All this talk about "Bohn hired him, so Bohn sucks too" makes me want to strangle the people who say it. It's flat out ignorant.

Great post.

I'd also add that despite our terrible football record over the last 4 years, and the horrible economy, the CU AD operated in the black last year - that's an impressive accomplishment and you can thank Mike Bohn. Contrast that with Cal who has actually had great success on the field/court recently and their department is bleeding to death right now.

Great post.

I'd also add that despite our terrible football record over the last 4 years, and the horrible economy, the CU AD operated in the black last year - that's an impressive accomplishment and you can thank Mike Bohn. Contrast that with Cal who has actually had great success on the field/court recently and their department is bleeding to death right now.

Cal AD is trying to support a lot more sports though.

Agreed, Sack. Was anyone critical of the hire when it happened? Not really, seemed like a great one at the time...

Cal AD is trying to support a lot more sports though.

True, but from what I hear, it's not like Cal is filling their stadium right now. Cal has had a lot more success than CU has had in the last 5 years, but their attendance is probably not as good. What is Cal doing to get sponsorships? How are they connecting with the alumni? What are they doing to increase their presence in the community? I honestly don't know the answer to these questions, but I know Bohn has done a lot in all of those areas at CU.

Back