1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am trying to be patient with Sefo

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Duff Man, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

But he makes it really damn hard every single week.

2. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Well-Known Member

I hear ya, I about threw something in Safeway.

3. cnbuff410

cnbuff410 Club Member Club Member

Looks like he already hits his ceiling.

This game was still hopeful if he didn't have that stupid pick. And for the last drive, I don't know how to say, that would be a nice drive if we are up by 7. Not down.

His throwing to left works 1 out of 10 times. He constantly miss wide open guys.

He is a superb leader but probably a below average QB. That doesn't work in Pac 12

4. Mr. Babar

Mr. Babar I have no elephant books Club Member

He has some bright spots, but look at the results. 12 picks, game management mental mistakes, 0-6 conference record. The last offensive drive was a perfect example. No urgency, short throws that kept the clock running, and taking a sack on 4th down. Give Gehrke a shot the rest of the way.

5. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

What other option is there?

No reason to play Apsay at this point - let him redshirt.

Gehrke has been at CU just as long as Sefo has - and hasn't been able to beat him out. His past experiences indicate he's not a better option than Sefo - more like a carbon copy of Sefo.

6. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

What?

I look forward to a game when Sefo actually doesn't throw an INT

7. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

He played the best quarter I've seen in the first quarter. He then completely fell apart. I think I've seen the ceiling here

8. Duff Man

It's time to look at all options in recruiting. We are about to give the job to Sefo for TWO more seasons with little to no competition.

9. Mr. Babar

Gehrke should get a shot. Sefo had earned getting benched for at least a game. He has earned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Mr. Babar

One thing Gehrke would do is throw the ball downfield. He can also run a little better.

11. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Looking at Gehrke's stats - he's an INT machine. He has historically completed about 50% of his passes. 22 TD's and 14 INT's at his JUCO, only completed 51% of his passes.

i.e. about the same as Sefo.

He might be better. He might not. The coaches see these two guys in practice every day. There's a reason Sefo's been playing.

12. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Why not change up the offense some and give the kid from Air Force a look?

13. Duff Man

Something has to change, not sure what or how that happens. Sefo is not young anymore and he continues to make DUMB decisions.

14. fwbuff

fwbuff Active Member

If Sefo is still starting in 2 years, that may be the biggest recruiting failure of this staff. He's just not that good.

15. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

transfer year

16. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Yeah I'm sure the coaches are just giving him the job

17. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I may be somewhat alone here this soon after a disappointment like today but I am a Sefo supporter. I am also a realist about him.

When we got Sefo we know what we were getting. He was a guy who was successful on a lousy HS team. He was also a guy who had exactly zero other P5 offers including none from the two PAC12 teams in his own home state.

At this point I think there are a number of PAC12 teams that would like to have him but not many for whom he would be playing right now. He should have had last year as a RS year and this year should be the guy down the depth chart working in those things that we are seeing on the field.

He has a tendency to stare down recievers leading to those ugly picks he has been throwing. He also has only been effective throwing to about 2/3rds of the field. That again is a mechanical issue that good coaching can fix but it usually doesn't get better during the season.

He also has a terrible OL in front of him, he gets pressure so consistently that he bails out sometimes even when he doesn't have pressure out of force of habit.

He has also taken a ton of abuse, he gets hit, and hit, and hit again game after game.

I don't know that he will ever be a great QB but on a quality team I think he could be a winning QB. Unfortunately we don't have that right now so we won't know.

18. Mr. Babar

Some of his getting hit is a result of not recognizing a blitz and hitting the hot route.

19. Duff Man

You just don't get it and never will.

20. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Oh and Lindgren should probably call some routes over the top. Makes it real easy on the D when they only have to worry about 10 yard routes.

21. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

I don't expect anything to happen during this season. When I brought up the kid from Air Force- I'm really talking about the off season and preparing for the 2015 season.

Personally, I'd like to see a different offensive philosophy for 2015.

22. sliderNcider

We didn't lose this game because of our offensive philosophy. Lindgren gives us a chance to win.

23. letsgoavs192

letsgoavs192 Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to being patient? The guy has made what 15 starts? That's barely more than a season. How many of the all time great QB's would never have made it if people gave up on them after a little over a year?

I have ZERO doubt we will be a force in the conference next year. Hell, we would be right now if it weren't for a dumb play or bad call here and there. Should have beat Cal, OSU, and UCLA. Could have beat ASU and Washington.

My my biggest concern is the mentality of the team. Are they mentally tough enough to see the big picture and know that they are about to break through? Or will getting this close over and over demoralize them? If they stay positive I think we will all be happy next year. Let's see how Sefo does to start next year....if he isn't better then it's time to make a change.

24. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Again something that gets worked on when a kid is watching and learning before playing.

Teams also know that we don't have the talent to burn them when they blitz and we don't pick them up well.

This is a team issue, not just a Sefo issue. Fans when frustrated tend to focus on the QB. If it was that easy coaches would just change QBs and score, we are suddenly winners.

25. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Well-Known Member

If you give up a pick 6 and a punt return, you are gonna have a hard time winning when you aren't a very good team.

26. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Sure - but we aren't winning.

I've got no problem with the pistol. Just would like to see them try something different.

Historically - Colorado has been at their best as a power running team. They've never won anything as a finesse team. A stronger running game - and more emphasis on a running game - would open up the passing game (especially the play-action passing game).

It would also improve the defense, IMO.

27. Duff Man

15 starts is enough to expect better decision making. And enough with the bull**** about how we should be better than we are, 2-7 is not a damn accident.

28. sliderNcider

:lol:

29. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

Sefo's is not the problem. He may not be Koy Detmer, but he is not the problem. 36/52 (69%), 314 yards, 2 TD's, 1 int. Even with the dumb pick six, that's more than good enough to win most games in a season.

30. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

I'm happy to be patient but when I see the exact same pick into the exact same coverage week after week after week, I get a little frustrated.

I am with Duff on this one. I am trying to be patient but I'm struggling with it.