What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I dare you not to get chills

you guys get excited over a cow running on the field with 6 handlers.... dont lie about what excites you

Call it what you want, but check pretty much any publication or source on college football, and Ralphie is widely considered to be the best mascot in college football, period. I'd like to see you try to hang on to that 1300 "cow" at 25 mph and see what you think afterwards. The only other pregame show that is even in the same discussion is the dotting of the i at OSU. Pretty much everybody that ever attends a CU game for the first time, including reporters, gushes about watching Ralphie run. So yeah Colorado completely destroys everything CSU and AFA throw at them in this regard. You have zero argument on this one.

Was CSU's stadium modeled after the Stutler Bowl?

Oh, my bad there is a difference. The Stutler Bowl is on campus.

I always thought it was modeled after a 1950's aircraft carrier perched on top of Chernobyl after the accident.

I was at a game at CU's last apperance at Hughes. There were definately dirt parking lots back then. If the CU-CSU game were to go back to FoCo, I'd make a point to return and see the urban development that sprang up around the old cow pasture.

The best part of my Hughes stadium experience was the "pass out." We got tickets to exit at half time. It was fun marching back to the tailgates with half the fan base and recharging the buzz with an other few beers, and then staggering back to the seats.

its still dirt, I wouldnt want concrete, waaay too hot and just another project to keep working on. But... CSU just got a multi-million $ project OKd to upgrade the exterior and parking lot at hughes. so im excited to see what they have planned.

actually very similar to the sun bowl(yes I know you continue to try to degrade CSU, but ive heard it all, I have plenty of CU grads in my family)
Sun_Bowlcp.jpg

Hold on. The sun bowl is right off campus, walking distance, and cleverly built into the foothills. Hughes is just out in the middle of a field, with townhouses and condos encroaching

Why would CU fans go to Hughes when CSU fans don't even go there?

"It's not some drive out to some distant satellite location with dirt parking lots."... i guess yo uhavent been to a CSU gm,.. the stadium is a 5min drive if that from campus)... "Strolling to the sink".. i feel like im going to hit my head every time I go there.. no thanks. "CU's stadium is intimate."... well, you are right on top of the field I guess.. but from the visitor section you have to turn your head 90deg to the right, it sucks... Hughes has great views from everywhere.... good post though.

CSU has beer in the stadium. That's pretty sweet.

Still? I thought they stopped selling a few years back. That's why games in Hawaii were awesome - they were touted as the last college stadium to sell beer (and way too tart margaritas)

Still? I thought they stopped selling a few years back. That's why games in Hawaii were awesome - they were touted as the last college stadium to sell beer (and way too tart margaritas)

Yep, still do. They suspended it for awhile after that run of alcohol poisoning deaths, but its back. Pretty sure there are others too, so Hawaii is full of crap.

Last edited:
Sho' nuff

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125271416817105157.html

Colorado State University in Fort Collins, like several schools, permits sales only up to halftime. It also limits beer to only 3.2% alcohol by volume. The university, which has sold beer in Hughes Stadium for more than 30 years, halted beer sales in the stadium in 2004 and appointed a task force to curb alcohol abuse in the wake of two alcohol-fueled riots near campus and a student's death from alcohol poisoning. The task force determined that rowdy behavior at tailgate parties outside the stadium was more of a problem than drinking inside. The university resumed sales in 2005.

Problems have erupted in the past. The University of Colorado at Boulder, citing violence linked to drunken fans, banned beer sales in 1996 in all areas of Folsom Field except luxury suites and club seats.

they have to sell beer there to keep people in a drunken stupor so they don't realize how big of a ****-hole they are in. fat chicks do the same thing.

Interesting how CSU actually studied the causes of the violent behavior and came to the same conclusion that we have claimed all along, but our faithful leaders at CU insist that it has to do with selling 3.2 beer in the stands.

To this day, that stands as one of the all time stupidest moves ever made by this University. And to make it worse, they can't bring themselves to admit it was a mistake, so they perpetuate it year after year.

I attended CU's last apperance at Hughes. There were definately dirt parking lots back then. If the CU-CSU game were to go back to FoCo, I'd make a point to return and see the urban development that sprang up around the old cow pasture.

The best part of my Hughes stadium experience was the "pass out." We got tickets to exit at half time. It was fun marching back to the tailgates with half the fan base and recharging the buzz with an other few beers, and then staggering back to the seats.

You can do that at Folsom, too. :lol:

You can do that at Folsom, too. :lol:

Ya. God bless the Gold Lot!

The Alumni Pavillion at the Jones at TT is my favorite pass-out. It's just outside the stadium, with lots of beer sales and big TV screens. I missed most of the 3rd quarter due to the hospitality. Imagine if Balch Field house was renovated, and converted into a sports bar, with lots of TV's on the walls, and lots of tubs of ice cold bottled beers for sale. what a great place to spend half-time!

alumni-frazier.jpg

275px-Frazier_Alumni_Pavilion_Front_Wide_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you have a cow, we have a sheep.. its not much different, they are both domesticated animals(versions of the real thing)... this is an oooold argument

Our "domesticated animal" is considered uniformly to be amongst the top live mascots in the country by virtually every poll out there...yours? not so much...

I love the stadium and the enviromment.. right up against the hills and horsetooth. on campus becomes a cluster f u c k if you ask me... I dont think CSU(or CU or AF) will ever get to 75,000 fans... the distance from denver limits alums for some reason, and it is probably a big factor in not getting people there... I bet if CU was in FC and CSU was in Boulder, CSU would have 15000 more fans a game, and CU would have 15,000 less.

Stadiums on campus are what college football is all about. Having it off campus sucks. I've been to plenty of CSU games (a bunch not involving CU) and I've had a great time, but there is no way that having the stadium off campus is anyway better then on. Strolling though the campus on game days is one of the greatest things ever. Everyone getting ready for the game, fall in the air...man I'm getting misty here.

Also, CU and CSU are basically day trips for the people in Denver. There is not that much difference between 35 minutes and 1 hour (from my house in Denver). Both involve packing up the car and setting out for the day to watch the game. you are deliusional if you think that that has anything to do with the attendance. i would venture to say the wyoming gets more fans from denver then CSU.

I'm sure its fun and all, but the people in that picture look like the last group of people that I'd want to watch with. How many times would they tell you to be quiet if you were cheering a good play?

LOL. That picture was not taken at halftime the CU-TT game in 2007.

Replace those white haired old geisers with a bunch of STD transmitting drunks who like to tell you how awsome their last trip to Colorado is, while handing you free beer after free beer.

Back on subject, Lubbock is in the middle of no where, and they fill up their stadium. CSU is 1/4 the school that Texas Tech is.

I suggest State needs to check out a Tech game someday because CSU fans would cream their pants if they had the fan support, facilities, and campus that exists in the middle of bumfuk Texas.

That said, CU's game day is still better.

Back