What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I get constructive criticism but...

I'm just worried about everyone's reaction when we regress/revert to old habits. It's going to happen. That's part of changing a culture.

In the past, we would take one or two steps forward, and then two or three steps back. It appears to me now that we are taking two or three steps forward, and then one or two back. Which, as mentioned, is part of changing a culture. Once the culture is changed, we will stop seeing regression. We still might not be winning a lot of games, but the foundation will be in place.

There are still going to be times, and even whole games, where the team quits. Prior to last weekend, there were series when the team didn't quit, there were quarters with no quit, and even full halves where the team didn't quit. Last week was the first time we saw a whole game of that. The trend is positive, but we've still got a ways to go before the cultural transformation is complete, and we have a team that never quits in a game.

That's my hopeful side.

My pessimistic side says, so what? Changing the culture is important and all, but you can have a team that never quits and still turn in 1-11 & 3-9 type seasons. And given the talent deficit on our team, we're going to be that team in 2-3 years. Oooooh, the culture has changed, and this team never quits - whoop-ti-****ing-do - they don't give out championships and bowl games based on effort.

Ok, deep breath. Balanced thinking time. It's better to change the culture first, even though it takes longer to do it that way. If you don't change the culture, your ceiling is Cal under Tedford, or maybe, if you're lucky, USC under Kiffin. While that looks nice from where we are today, I don't want that to be our ceiling. And you can't really do it the other way, that is, win first and change the culture later. Well, you can try, but the second part never really happens when you do it that way (why do you think ASU perennially under-performs?). No, if you're going to actually change the culture, you're probably going to suck for a few years - even if you were pretty good before (we weren't), but you will end up in a better place overall.

I actually have faith that HCMM can and will change the culture of our program. He's been there, done that (and changing the culture of a program is the same process in a BCS conference as it is in the WAC); he'll do it here. After he's changed the culture, will he be able to win in a BCS conference, and win big? I have less faith in that; he hasn't done it before and I'm not seeing a whole lot of things to give me faith that he can (especially in recruiting). But if he can't win, then we can hire a hot commodity coach who can take us there. The bonus is that, at that point, we won't need to find a coach who knows how to change the culture of a team, we'll just need to find one that can win, and there's a lot more of the latter than there is the former.

Gotta like a lot of what McChesney said which is consistent with the theme of this post:
We saw what kind of team CU could potentially be last Saturday against UCLA. That was a game where things started to click and we dominated time of possession and it was a game where I was like "damn, they look like a football team tonight, they're ready to play, they're hitting these boys in the mouth" and obviously they didn't win but they put quality football on tape. That's something that they can turn on in the film room and say look, what we're preaching is working. It's working, keep grinding and keep working and we're gonna pull out of this and pretty soon we're gonna end up beating the **** out people, which would be nice.

Here is quote of Sefo from Ringos article:
"Teams aren't going to be able to just roll over us," he said. "It's not going to happen this year. It's not going to happen any more. We're a team that is going to fight and you're going to fight all 60 minutes against us."

Gotta like that attitude.

The USC game has become a huge deal. Not only is it an opportunity to show that we are able to compete with the true powerhouses in college football, but we have quite a list of recruits visiting. We need those recruits too. These are not "It would be nice to have" kind of guys. Would instantly transform our depth problems.

A win over USC shows the fan base we are turning the corner. It shows our recruits that we are turning the corner. Could be a corner stone victory and a logical one to add to the wall. Maybe one along the bottom, so we can build upon it.

Trying not to be all sunshine..... But I really do believe this game matters just that much more than the rest of the PAC. I am willing to forgo all seasonal gifts to have the Buffs click in this game! Just want them to play UCLA plus on this day. Tall order.

love the talk. now for more walk.

Time of possession is the key to "walking." If we can limit the number of series and shorten the game we should have a chance late. As the less talented team getting that chance is everything.

Watched a replay of the Stanford v USC game from 2007 where the 41pt underdog cardinal walked into the coliseum and beat #1 SC. It can happen. It happens every year. It begins with believing you can win, not hoping. I think we are finally getting there. They are starting to see it on film, it is no longer just theory and coach speak. The UCLA was literally 3 or 4 plays from possibly being a win. We are finally getting close.

Watched a replay of the Stanford v USC game from 2007 where the 41pt underdog cardinal walked into the coliseum and beat #1 SC. It can happen. It happens every year. It begins with believing you can win, not hoping. I think we are finally getting there. They are starting to see it on film, it is no longer just theory and coach speak. The UCLA was literally 3 or 4 plays from possibly being a win. We are finally getting close.
I think the Buffs do it this Saturday night. I feel this way do to the same statement you just made + it is time. Watching Altitude Black&Gold issue yesterday Chad Brown was saying the same thing about 5 or 6 plays being a step (half a step on a couple of plays) or two away from being game changers. Pritchard was on there for CJ and he looked good! 1 of my favorite all time Buffs also.

Back