What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I have a theory about this team

Refs ran the clock after an isu offensive delay of game with about 6 minutes left too. That cost the Buffs about 30 seconds.

In retrospect, thank god for that mistake.

How was that a mistake? If the game clock was running prior to the delay of game penalty, then the clock restarts at the ref's ready signal, not the snap.

The times it would start at the snap is if the Referee thinks the offense is doing unfair clock management (that they are trying to take time off the game clock), if the offense was in scrimmage-kick formation, or if the game clock was stopped before anyway (if the previous play was incomplete pass, for example).

I thought that if the delay of game penalty had been called the clock would run out. Isn't that how it works? If the offense is called for a penalty within two minutes, time is wound down, like 5 seconds or something?

I am in the process of researching it...

No, the game clock would have been restarted at the Referee's ready signal. Of course, that probably would have given ISU enough time to get a play off at the 6.

No, the game clock would have been restarted at the Referee's ready signal. Of course, that probably would have given ISU enough time to get a play off at the 6.

Yes, but they still would have only run ONE play. If they were gonna call the delay of game, they would have whistled the first play dead and it would have never happened. THEN they would have tried from the six.

It's not as if they'd be permitted to run from the one, fail, and then try again.

They didn't make it from the one, we can assume they wouldn't have made it from the six (whether it's true or not is irrelevent since they got the better of two choices).

It wouldn't be an ISU-CU matchup without dicey calls by refs at the end of the game. This crew gets the Clete Blakeman seal of approval.

I thought that if the delay of game penalty had been called the clock would run out. Isn't that how it works? If the offense is called for a penalty within two minutes, time is wound down, like 5 seconds or something?

I am in the process of researching it...

That is what I initially thought. But I am not sure that college has the 10 second run-off rule. Also, I think the run-off rule only applies when the offensive penalty stops the clock. In this instance, the clock was already stopped.

How was that a mistake? If the game clock was running prior to the delay of game penalty, then the clock restarts at the ref's ready signal, not the snap.

The times it would start at the snap is if the Referee thinks the offense is doing unfair clock management (that they are trying to take time off the game clock), if the offense was in scrimmage-kick formation, or if the game clock was stopped before anyway (if the previous play was incomplete pass, for example).

That can't be right. What is there to prevent an offensive team that has the lead taking continued delay of game penalties until the game is over?

Back