What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I have something to say.

Here I was thinking we were all Throbbing Gristle fans. I don't understand how people don't like grunge, it's a modern extension of Neil Young, who is awesome.

Yeah, but those other bands became "classic" or "old school" when they were still in their prime. The music that defined the 90's is pure sucktitude.

Bull****. I enjoy music from the 80's, but there's a vast range of music from the 90's that's absolutely superb. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, all of which were "defining" 90's bands, were all consistently excellent throughout their careers. And I would be remiss if I neglected to mention that the mid 1990's showcased the single greatest era of mainstream hip hop that the world will ever see (Tupac, Naughty By Nature, Notorious BIG, even the one hit wonders like Skee Lo were fantastic).

The problem here isn't that the music of the 90's was bad, it's that you don't have an ear for it. Both eras were excellent musically, just in extremely different ways.

I was in my teens in the '80s and 20s in the '90s so as the music changed so did I. I appreciate all that stuff. Rock on and Rock hard.

This is the best "has nothing to do with the thread" thread I have seen.

And I would be remiss if I neglected to mention that the mid 1990's showcased the single greatest era of mainstream hip hop that the world will ever see (2Pac, Naughty By Nature, Notorious BIG, even the one hit wonders like Skee Lo were fantastic).

FIFY (Tupac is his real name; 2Pac is his stage name :thumbsup:)

Some of the best ever hip-hop albums were dropped then. Just to add to the list...

NaS, Big L, Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang Clan, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Big Pun, Eazy E, Ice Cube, Common, Mos Def.... I left some out, but all of these mentioned dropped absolute CLASSIC material. Not to mention these artists also influenced the great emcees of today's time.

And I would be remiss if I neglected to mention that the mid 1990's showcased the single greatest era of mainstream hip hop that the world will ever see (Tupac, Naughty By Nature, Notorious BIG, even the one hit wonders like Skee Lo were fantastic).

Eh, disagree. Run D.M.C., Pulic Enemy, The Fat Boys, L.L. Cool J. I'll take the mainstream of the '80's over who you mentioned any day. :thumbsup:

For anyone who doubts the dominance of Oklahoma I suggest you go back and watch the Fiesta Bowl!

ohh Wait nevermind we won that one! You guys are right the werent very good...Go Mountaineers!

West Virginia Vs Colorado remathc in the Fiesta Bowl Rematch sound bad!

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone who doubts the dominance of Oklahoma I suggest you go back and watch the Fiesta Bowl!

ohh Wait nevermind we won that one! You guys are right the werent very good...Go Mountaineers!

You edited your post for typos, I see. Did you actually add them?

Ma, pass me the jug.....:wow:

Depeche Mode had some flat out fantastic tunes. Personal Jesus, Enjoy the Silence, People are People, Just Can't Get Enough, the list goes on and on. They're a very talented group. You may not like their sound, and that's OK. But to deny their talent would be wrong.

:yeahthat: I love every one of those songs you listed. Although the Johnny Cash cover of Personal Jesus doesn't quite work for me... :huh:

Rainbow Music Hall is now a Walgreens. :huh:

I have a good friend who lived 2 blocks from there during the era when it switched over. I was so bummed when I saw it was becoming a Walgreens, and I'm still mad at myself for never making it to a show there.... :sad1:

Hey man, Africa is one hell of a song. Don't even try to deny that!

Eh, disagree. Run D.M.C., Pulic Enemy, The Fat Boys, L.L. Cool J. I'll take the mainstream of the '80's over who you mentioned any day. :thumbsup:

Please. The hip hop music that was popular in the late 80's was revolutionary, but also exceptionally primitive. Start with a hard synthesized snare beat, throw in a couple of abrupt keyboard notes, insert lyrics, game over. Entertaining and worth listening to no doubt, but also mind numbingly repetitive.

And really, outside of Run DMC, the 3 other acts you listed there have all of maybe 6 decent songs between them in the 80's. "Mama Said Knock You Out," "The Fat Boys are Back," "Fight the Power," and... I don't know. "My Nutz"? I'd include Krush Groovin on the list, but that wasn't really a Fat Boys song so much as a collaboration between them, Kurtis Blow (who was better than any of the acts you listed, BTW) and Shiela E.

Back