What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I have to be honest...

Born and raised in the Black n Gold here and unfortunately had to deal with the first 3 years of Hawkins while I was at CU... I honestly feel that I have developed the same "losing" mentality that the football team has currently. Games that stick in my mind are last year - UGA. I couldn't help but "know" that CU was going to blow that game late (although UGA gave that game to us on a silver platter). Kansas - Listening to it on the radio, as soon as KU started scoring, I just "knew" it was going to be over... Cal this year - wanting and hoping for a win, but "knowing" that we would shoot ourselves in the foot and throw the game away. It is a mentality that I thought I would never have after seeing our teams in the 90's and early 2000's consistently perform well and win ballgames.

The last 4 years of having some facet of special teams trot onto the field and "knowing" that we're going to miss a fg, muff a punt, get a kick blocked, kickoff out of bounds, get a penalty, give up a huge return, etc.

This mentality does indeed get tiring and is understandable as fans to have frustrations when your team is beating itself... :bang::bang: However I think its relatively safe to say that none of us on this board will ever "disown" CU because of this (or at least I would hope that is the case). We all bleed black and gold, we all drink varying degrees of koolaid when times are tough, we all cheer on the Buffs every Saturday, and we all get our hearts broken every time that our expectations exceed the product that we see on the field. I do think that Embree and company are the correct staff for this rebuilding process and cannot wait until Colorado football returns, but like almost everyone on this board, I want it to happen instantaneously when in reality it will take some time.

Go Buffs!

Last edited:
My expectations for CU have been lowered so far that I was just hoping we were competitive in that game. We made a mediocre team look like a top 5 one. I expected that type of Hawk behavior to be gone. The lack of execution and seemingly effort was really disappointing.

I tried that argment in the last year of Hawkins. Epic fail.
Well, last year was a peculiar set of circumstances, not just for CU but any D1 CFB program not named Duke. EVERYBODY, except MB and Dr. Phil knew what needed to be done in Nov. of '09, but we still kept D II around to sow nuclear waste into the burned out foundation of CFB. Hard to get people excited about that, but even then, I went...even though I had zero belief CU was going to "pop".

I was pretty lucky to sit through CU's best years. Watching Salaam run for 2000 in the rain, the miracle in Michigan, fantastic seasons with a steady stream of recruits coming from the bayou. The biggest thing CU fans had to bitch about was losing to Nebraska cost a chance at another National championship. Then the Neuheisel years, he kicked all the walk ons off the team, he was arrogant, condescending and helped start the decline. Fans became self-entitled and spoiled, they routinely cursed the team at games for not playing as well as previous squads. Recruiting started drying up, the whole big 12 fiasco. Instate recruits would rather go to CSU than CU for awhile.

It got bad, and still is. But the biggest problem I see from a lot of fans is unrealistic expectations. Bad coaching dynasties and a bad conference helped destroy this program. Now they need to update all their facilities, their field, and their recruiting base. After seeing the 100,000 person stadium at Columbus, and the level of support they have for that team, I can't help but feel envious. What if CU had that kind of tailgating and fan support? Then you have fans wanting to stop supporting the team because they aren't winning enough. :bang: Just awesome, glad I don't know you in person.

I was pretty lucky to sit through CU's best years. Watching Salaam run for 2000 in the rain...

Did you happen to be watching this game on TV, in Seattle? I'm asking because in Boulder that day, it was a gorgeous November afternoon. A little chilly, but beautiful just the same.

Did you happen to be watching this game on TV, in Seattle? I'm asking because in Boulder that day, it was a gorgeous November afternoon. A little chilly, but beautiful just the same.

I was wondering this as well. I was pretty young at the time, but don't remember any rain.

I started rooting for the Buffs back in '89 and went to all home games in '90 so I can say that I was cheering for the Buffs at their peak. If the last five years taught me something about myself, it is that I am a diehard Buffs fan who has stuck with his team during those trying times. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

SHOULDER TO SHOULDER.

Hes talking about the XFL game when Salaam went for 2000 all in one game. It was raining that day.

I remember the weather being ****** because half my roommates didnt go. Couldn't remember if it was rain or snow or what. I remember the run down the right sideline when he broke it.

Well yup seemed ok, I remember it being worse for some reason. Hangovers are bad for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoTHce2GkeU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
I have been a Buff fan since the day I set foot on campus in 1987.

But watching the team get their butts kicked over and over and over on the road, suffering through four years of D II ineptitude, and then seeing another blowout has just about done it for me.

Maybe I'll feel differently by Saturday....:huh:

I have over 20 years on you being a fan. I have been there when the team was torn apart with the Sonny scandal, Bud Davis having to fill in, Eddie rebuilding the team, Bill Mallory having trouble recruiting, Chuck Fairbanks being uninterested in CU Football, the rebuilding under coach MAC, the slide under Neuheisel, the scandal under Barnett, the near demise of the program under Hawkins, and now the start of rebuilding under Embree. I was on the message boards right from the start when there was only dial-up.

Being a committed fan is an emotional commitment and investment with the team. I will always be a CU fan but I am not sure I will always to a die-hard fan. Like all relationships you can only get abused for so long before the passion starts fading...that is where I am at. I use to never miss a play - if the buffs were at home I was in folsom, if they were away and the game was televised I would watch it, lacking that I would listen on the radio. This last Saturday I left in the 3 rd Quarter to go shopping with my wife (who was totally shocked by that I would leave a televised CU game). I am glad CU hired Embree and hope he gets it done but not sure I will still be invested when it happens.

Every week I see plenty of casual CU fans in Folsom - they buy CU tickets from the scalpers and cheer for the team and if CU loses they are disappointed but they forget about it 10 minutes after the game.

And I really don't don't give a cr@p what whinny bitch like 'Tini thinks of my fandom. When he has over 150 games attended in Folsom and been a donor for over 30 years then I might care what he thinks.

I remember the weather being ****** because half my roommates didnt go. Couldn't remember if it was rain or snow or what. I remember the run down the right sideline when he broke it.

You must of had bad drugs or booze that day. The day was a cold but gorgeous fall day...Sunny with that fall crispness in the air(37 degrees at Kickoff). But no rain or snow.

I have over 20 years on you being a fan. I have been there when the team was torn apart with the Sonny scandal, Bud Davis having to fill in, Eddie rebuilding the team, Bill Mallory having trouble recruiting, Chuck Fairbanks being uninterested in CU Football, the rebuilding under coach MAC, the slide under Neuheisel, the scandal under Barnett, the near demise of the program under Hawkins, and now the start of rebuilding under Embree. I was on the message boards right from the start when there was only dial-up.
Did you mean "50 years?" :lol:

Last edited:
I have been a Buff fan since the day I set foot on campus in 1987.

But watching the team get their butts kicked over and over and over on the road, suffering through four years of D II ineptitude, and then seeing another blowout has just about done it for me.

Maybe I'll feel differently by Saturday....:huh:

LOL, I swear I'm done with, not just the Buffs, but football in general all the time!!!...I'm usually back by Tuesday and suffering on Saturday and Sunday again. The bad thing is, for CU, it's practically been like "Groundhog Day" the last 5+ years.

Football is in my blood. CU is in my blood. I will never leave no matter how much I threaten to all the time.

Go Buffs! 1-3
Go Broncos! 1-2
Go Dolphins! 0-3
it's gonna be a fun season. :)

I knew going in special teams would be a problem but this big, umm no. I dont care who you play, it'll get you beat. When 6 of 9 opponent possessions are in your territory and you are starting on the 17 on average or whatever it was, you are ****ed. I dont know how else to say it but it probably should have been worse score wise than it was. Really there were only a few things to learn from this game. How to make sure you lose is one of them. Another would be we are no where close to having enough talent, at least imho. Special teams, lol, umm we have a place kicker at least. Everything else st wise is pretty much a disaster.

Nope - I meant and said I had 20 + more years than him as a fan.

It's okay. Really really old folks like DBT get easily confused. He had been watching CU football for 20 years at the turn of the century...the turn of the century in 1900.

Frumpy, the issue is not so much that we lost, but we looked hopeless out there for the most part. Plus the road losing streak is beyond embarrassing now. I mean, no road wins over four years is laughable.

I read somewhere that the last time we won east of the Mississippi was the miracle at Michigan.

Hang in there Lefty.

Before the season, I really didn't know what to expect on the field. After some thought, what I really wanted (this year) out of Embree and his staff was for them to change the mindset. The culture and the attitude needed to be changed. No more accepting losing as okay; they should be angry when they lose. In recent years, I didn't sense this from the team.

I think JE, et al, will make this change happen. I, the fan, want it to happen yesterday. We all do. Unfortunately (and realistically), I just don't think it can happen that quick.

Hang in there Lefty.

Before the season, I really didn't know what to expect on the field. After some thought, what I really wanted (this year) out of Embree and his staff was for them to change the mindset. The culture and the attitude needed to be changed. No more accepting losing as okay; they should be angry when they lose. In recent years, I didn't sense this from the team.

I think JE, et al, will make this change happen. I, the fan, want it to happen yesterday. We all do. Unfortunately (and realistically), I just don't think it can happen that quick.
+1 I know it will take time, it's just really frustrating at times. I know CU isn't in a position to be a national title contender, I just think they didn't really play well Sat. and as a fan that is disappointing, I just want to see them do well like any other CU fan.

I feel the frustration that everybody is having. I was disgusted to be honest. Not the fact that we lost, it's how we lost that pissed me off.

Then you have fans wanting to stop supporting the team because they aren't winning enough. :bang: Just awesome, glad I don't know you in person.
If all you read was my OP, then I'd ask you look at some othe other posts...I was venting.

If you read the thread and still feel that way, then the feeling is mutual.

I definitely am there with you, Lefty. This loss didn't "do" it for me as a Buff fan, but I just had this new feeling of jealousy at other fans who get to win one of these games where they're not favored once in a while. I'm just tired of getting my hopes up and having them crushed every Saturday. It gets old. I do have confidence, still, that Embo can get us going in the right direction but I fear my original assumptions about timeline are shorter than reality.

Back