What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I really hope I'm wrong, but I think Hawkins is staying

We were already in single digits. 7% was the last number I heard, and that was two years ago. CU is a state school in name only at this point.

Damn i didnt realize it was that bad, it is time to go private, crank up fees, eliminate mandatory admit standards, and run this thing for real.

Where did $84.4 million to build a yoga meditation building so Muslim students have a quiet place for mid-day prayers come from?
http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_13691664

That room is one part of a much larger building that costs $84.4MM. The room itself doesn't cost that much.

And to answer the question as to where the money came from to build the huge building (not just the room), I'd say it's probably from the CU foundation.

A hot-button issue in recent years has been the revenue disparity between Big 12 teams. Several athletic directors of some of the conference's bottom feeders have mentioned how difficult it is to compete with the conference's biggest powers.
The Omaha World-Herald recently provided the breakdown for each school in the conference's 2007-08 revenue sharing numbers from those provided to the Internal Revenue Service.
The total of $103.1 million places the conference fourth among the "Big Six" conferences that make up the Bowl Championship Series automatic qualifiers. The Big 12 ranks behind the Big Ten ($154.2 million), the Atlantic Coast ($137.6 million) and the Southeastern ($135 million) conferences in revenue generated to share with members.
The World-Herald's findings indicate that $57 million come for television contracts, along with $32.2 million from bowl games, $27.3 million from the NCAA, $11.1 million from conference championships and $434,623 from royalties and licensing. The conference keeps some of the revenue to pay its bills, which is why those figures add up to more than the $103.1 million distributed to member institutions.
The Big Ten is the only conference that shares revenue equally among its schools. It provided $14 million to each school during the 2006-07 fiscal year.
The Big 12 schools divvy up all money equally except that which is generated from television.
Half of the TV money is divided evenly. The other half goes into an appearance pool. The schools that earn the most money are the ones who appear for football TV games and basketball nonconference games. Credits also are issued for NCAA tournament appearances.
Here's a look at the money provided for each Big 12 team.
1. Texas: $10.2 million
2. Oklahoma: $9.8 million
3. Kansas: $9.24 million
4. Texas A&M: $9.22 million
5. Nebraska: $9.1 million
6. Missouri: $8.4 million
7. Texas Tech: $8.23 million
8. Kansas State: $8.21 million
9. Oklahoma State: $8.1 million
10. Colorado: $8.0 million
11. Iowa State: $7.4 million
12. Baylor: $7.1 million
Source: Omaha World-Herald
And here's how the BCS-affiliated conferences rank:
1. Big Ten: $154.2 million
2. ACC: $137.6 million
3. SEC: $135 million
4. Big 12: $103.1 million
5. Pac-10: $80.1 million
6. Big East: $77.6 million
Well, I guess we qualify as a bottom feeder.

Last edited:
A hot-button issue in recent years has been the revenue disparity between Big 12 teams. Several athletic directors of some of the conference's bottom feeders have mentioned how difficult it is to compete with the conference's biggest powers.
The Omaha World-Herald recently provided the breakdown for each school in the conference's 2007-08 revenue sharing numbers from those provided to the Internal Revenue Service.
The total of $103.1 million places the conference fourth among the "Big Six" conferences that make up the Bowl Championship Series automatic qualifiers. The Big 12 ranks behind the Big Ten ($154.2 million), the Atlantic Coast ($137.6 million) and the Southeastern ($135 million) conferences in revenue generated to share with members.
The World-Herald's findings indicate that $57 million come for television contracts, along with $32.2 million from bowl games, $27.3 million from the NCAA, $11.1 million from conference championships and $434,623 from royalties and licensing. The conference keeps some of the revenue to pay its bills, which is why those figures add up to more than the $103.1 million distributed to member institutions.
The Big Ten is the only conference that shares revenue equally among its schools. It provided $14 million to each school during the 2006-07 fiscal year.
The Big 12 schools divvy up all money equally except that which is generated from television.
Half of the TV money is divided evenly. The other half goes into an appearance pool. The schools that earn the most money are the ones who appear for football TV games and basketball nonconference games. Credits also are issued for NCAA tournament appearances.
Here's a look at the money provided for each Big 12 team.
1. Texas: $10.2 million
2. Oklahoma: $9.8 million
3. Kansas: $9.24 million
4. Texas A&M: $9.22 million
5. Nebraska: $9.1 million
6. Missouri: $8.4 million
7. Texas Tech: $8.23 million
8. Kansas State: $8.21 million
9. Oklahoma State: $8.1 million
10. Colorado: $8.0 million
11. Iowa State: $7.4 million
12. Baylor: $7.1 million
And here's how the BCS-affiliated conferences rank:
1. Big Ten: $154.2 million
2. ACC: $137.6 million
3. SEC: $135 million
4. Big 12: $103.1 million
5. Pac-10: $80.1 million
6. Big East: $77.6 million
Well, I guess we qualify as a bottom feeder.

To me that ranking is really on the basketball program. If that allocation is done based on nonconference basketball appearances, NCAA tourney appearances and football TV appearances, 2 of the three of those are basically non-existent for CU. And I can't really remember how many appearances there were in 2007 for the football team.

The good news is that we've done great this year in terms of getting the football team on TV (what they've done once they've gotten there is another story....). And hopefully the hoops team will at least get some TV appearances in Maui. (I assume those would count). Not likely to make the tourney, though.... :cool:

To me that ranking is really on the basketball program. If that allocation is done based on nonconference basketball appearances, NCAA tourney appearances and football TV appearances, 2 of the three of those are basically non-existent for CU. And I can't really remember how many appearances there were in 2007 for the football team.

The good news is that we've done great this year in terms of getting the football team on TV (what they've done once they've gotten there is another story....). And hopefully the hoops team will at least get some TV appearances in Maui. (I assume those would count). Not likely to make the tourney, though.... :cool:
What is the disparity in compensation for a game televised in prime time on CBS or ESPN vs FSN?

That room is one part of a much larger building that costs $84.4MM. The room itself doesn't cost that much.

And to answer the question as to where the money came from to build the huge building (not just the room), I'd say it's probably from the CU foundation.

Or it could be part of the old Rec Center / Athletics / UCSU fees we used to pay. Not tax dollars.

Or it could be part of the old Rec Center / Athletics / UCSU fees we used to pay. Not tax dollars.

I doubt they have $85MM sitting around in that fund, but they might be borrowing the funds from the foundation or some other entity with the repayment to come from those fees. That would make sense, too. And I agree, this is not likely coming from taxpayer funds. Just like the addition to the business school and law school came from increased student fees that they approved themselves.

And now we all know why Notre Dame is wanted so badly but will never join the Big 10. :smile2:

Back