1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I saw this article a few days ago...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Duff Man, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

And now it is on Buffstampede so I thought some would like it here. Is this real?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...iting-21062109jun21,0,6303143.story?track=rss

I think the recruiting rankings have a certain amount of validity (most of the 5* and 4* players have big-time offers), but I would be pissed if I found out our coaches were relying on rivals to do their work for them. WTF? Unbelievable.

2. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Dang we missed on hiring Randy Shannon...not.

3. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

I think it is real to some extent. The Internet and recruiting rankings have gotten so huge with Fan bases the coaches job security can be affected by the perception of his recruiting. So I am sure that many staffs look at how they are doing on the recruiting trail.

4. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

Did you read the article...the problem occurred under Coker not Shannon or am I missing something in your comment.

5. The Guest

The Guest Guest

The irony is that the internet pay sites base their rankings primarily on university interest (according to an insider). It's a vicious circle...

Coach Hawk has stated that this last recruiting class was his best. This clearly flies in the face of what Rivals/Scout thinks. I trust Hawk on this one.

6. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

:yeahthat:

The other thing is that staffs used to be somewhat limited in finding talent to areas where they were able to follow programs personally or other places where they had contacts of some kind. Now, these services put a list of talent nationwide right at their fingertips. To not at least look at it would be silly. To let the evaluations by the recruiting sites make your recruiting decisions for you would be total stupidity, though... :huh:

7. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I was just messin' around...but then again, RS was on the staff then too, so you have to wonder.

8. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I don't doubt that it helps staffs identify talent outside of their geographical region, but I still maintain that article made it sound like it went beyond that at Miami for several years.

9. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Exactly, it would be crazy to think that any major program totally ignores these sites, if nothing else they're doing all this information gathering for them. But in the end it really needs to come down to the coaches' in-person and film evaluations of each player.