What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I THINK Hawks been fired...

Are you kidding me? Have you been reading the board lately? He is gone. When is the question (no later than end of season)

This similar thread popped up last year. When ya'll gonna listen to ur buddy Kamel. I know I'm a husker and stuff but your AD was stupid enough to give him an extension after garbage numbers do you think he's smart enough to do that?

On my way back from getting a burrito, the Jack Daniels delivery guy said Hawk was fired.

Election day is next week on Tuesday. It's possible the firing is a done deal after the KU game unless there is a plan in place for the KU game.

According to Phil DeStephano, Dan Hawikins will be evaluated AFTER the season.
"It's a big year for Dan...blah, blah, blah"

He didn't mean Tyler Hansen's and Jon Major's season.

Can't assume a negative ... After the loss total hits seven, and bowl eligibility is removed from the equation, the Hawkins' era will quietly come to an end.

While everyone "knows" that the Buffs cannot go 8-4 this season, until that record is proven unobtainable on the field, Hawkins will not be - cannot be - fired.

While everyone "knows" that the Buffs cannot go 8-4 this season, until that record is proven unobtainable on the field, Hawkins will not be - cannot be - fired.

Why would six wins be the determining factor? Is that what this joke of an administration are reducing this program to? Six wins is success? I don't understand the argument that he cannot be fired until six wins is unattainable.

What CU did you grow up watching? Im just curious, this is a joke and he should have been gone last year.

I do not understand the rationale to this part of the statement at all. I do not believe his firing has anything to do with the win total for this season at this point. He could win at Kansas and at home against Iowa St and K St and I think he will still be fired. Hell, I believe he could win 4 out of 5 and he would still get fired (not going to happen)

Can't assume a negative ... After the loss total hits seven, and bowl eligibility is removed from the equation, the Hawkins' era will quietly come to an end.

Assume for the sake of argument that CU loses in Norman on Saturday. They will then be 3-5 on the season. If they were to win every remaining game on the regular season schedule - they'd be 7-5 and going to a bowl game. If they won the bowl game they'd be 8-5.

Would you want Hawkins back??

If the answer is NO -- then why the **** don't you fire him RIGHT NOW???

Assume for the sake of argument that CU loses in Norman on Saturday. They will then be 3-5 on the season. If they were to win every remaining game on the regular season schedule - they'd be 7-5 and going to a bowl game. If they won the bowl game they'd be 8-5.

exactly.

That, to me, is the question Bohn has to ask himself. "If Dan wins out, do you want him back?" If the answer is no, then the idea of waiting until he is no longer eligible for post-season play is irrelevant and a red-herring.

If, as has been posted on several of the "insider" sites (and this site), Dan Hawkins has been told that he will be fired at the end of the season, I don't see why they can't just make a public announcement, make public that they are starting the search, and get ****ing after it.

Last edited:

Nope. I wouldn't want him back, either.
The question posed though, is not whether you or I would want him back, but whether he would be retained under those circumstances. If CU goes 8-5 with a bowl win, there remains the possibility that Hawkins could be retained. That's the reality - and until that is no longer a possibility, it is my opinion that Hawkins will not be fired.

The end of the season is 4 1/2 weeks away. We've put up with this for 4 1/2 years.
A little patience, my friends. This too shall pass ...

The question posed though, is not whether you or I would want him back, but whether he would be retained under those circumstances. If CU goes 8-5 with a bowl win, there remains the possibility that Hawkins could be retained. That's the reality - and until that is no longer a possibility, it is my opinion that Hawkins will not be fired.

The end of the season is 4 1/2 weeks away. We've put up with this for 4 1/2 years.
You make it sound like Hawk is CU football's kidney stone....

I think I get what Montana is saying. Basically, if CU fires him now or after the OU loss, he could still pull off the slimy lawyer deal and say "Well, I would have had a chance to get to a bowl because of what was left on the slate" and try to spin the press negative toward that and gain him some sympathy.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but I can buy that.

All I know is this: Nebraska will be here sooner than you think. I'm already dealing with the dentist-like pain of where we will celebrate Thanksgiving because of some in-law junk, so I know the end will be fast since I'm already facing that.

You may think there is a chance to retain him but I think that ship has sailed. We can wait until after NU or 7 losses which ever is first, but there will be a change before we hit the 1st of December. I do not think there is a chance in hell he comes back at all. As for the technicality of possibly wining 7 games and getting sympathy, I do not think that floats either. Not much sympathy for him as a coach left on the front range. Maybe sympathy as a man or individual, but surely not as a coach.

Bottom line, there is not a chance in hell he comes back next year regardless of how many wins he gets in these last 5 games.

Last edited:
Montana's got this right (again). His cuatthegame blog lays this out perfectly.

DiStephano has stated in public that Hawkins would be evaluated at the end of the season. DiStephano has recently indicated he's given "little thought" to any mid season changes. Does anyone really expect the Chancellor to go back on his word? This is the guy who didn't get baited into Baylor politics during conferencepalooza, and navigated CU out of the wilderness following the recruiting sex scandal. Destephano is going to let Hawkins hang himself based on his performance over the entire season and make this easier on the university legal staff. In University time, "now" = within the fall semester.

Fans be damned, no expedited action is necessary.

CU, in all it's bureaucratic glory, has heard the urgency from the fan base and is filing that input away. Please hold. They appreciate your patience as the coaches and players finish what they started.

Unless Hawk were caught partying like Charlie Sheen, there is not just not going to be a mid season dismissal.

Getting our hopes up for a mid-season headline is as futile as getting our hopes up for a "good bowl game." The Yankee Stadium Bowl game given will be considered "good", too.

Last edited by a moderator:
DiStephano also said this is Bohn's call and he would not micro manage the situation. By the way, I am not sure how you make it easier on the legal staff. They may negotiate a final number, but my guess is we write a check for what ever the specified amount that is left on the contract is and call it good.

DiStephano also said this is Bohn's call and he would not micro manage the situation. By the way, I am not sure how you make it easier on the legal staff. They may negotiate a final number, but my guess is we write a check for what ever the specified amount that is left on the contract is and call it good.

Ahem. I said Legal Staff when I should have said something else.

So far as attorneys go, the messier the better. Firing Hawk now, before proving he's not bowl bound would be much easier for Hawk's agent an attorneys to pursue.

But if he is fired after kNU, the evaluation would have none of the messy "what if" bull ****.

Back