What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I think we go 4-8 in 2014

Absolutely.

• Two of last years four victories were earned over lower division programs (Central Ark, Charleston Southern).
  • Of the FBS teams we beat one win came against a 1-11 Cal team (there only win was against Portland State).
  • Our most impressive victory was against a CSU team that actually went 8-6 and actually beat other FBS teams.
  • Every team that beat us scored 44 points or more on us except Utah (24 to 17, 5-7 season).
  • We did not win a single game outside the state of Colorado.

Given the above bullet points I note that there are no FCS teams on this years schedule to push around. We do play 3 teams that went 1-11 last year (Hawaii, UMass, and Cal) but two of those games will be outside of Colorado requiring us to win on the road.

Every other team on our schedule had 8 wins or more last year except Utah and Oregon State. Two of those schools have new coaches and both are widely considered coaching upgrades over their predecessor and both those schools have deeper pools of talent.

Assuming we beat all three 1-11 teams, a 5 win Utah team in Boulder, and an improving CSU team we would have to beat one of those eight win teams AND we would have to win on the road somewhere to get to 6-6. Maybe we beat Oregon State in Boulder. I dunno.

Sorry to be a debbie downer but frankly, I see us winning 3 games.

Sat, Aug 30 Colorado State (8-6) Denver, CO
Sat, Sep 06 Massachusetts (1-11) at Foxborough, MA
Sat, Sep 13 Arizona State (10-4) Boulder, CO
Sat, Sep 20 Hawai'i (1-11) Boulder, CO
Sat, Sep 27 California (1-11) at Berkeley, CA
Sat, Oct 04 Oregon State (7-6) Boulder, CO
Sat, Oct 18 USC (10-4) at Los Angeles, CA
Sat, Oct 25 UCLA (10-3) Boulder, CO
Sat, Nov 01 Washington (9-4) Boulder, CO
Sat, Nov 08 Arizona (8-5) at Tucson, AZ
Sat, Nov 22 Oregon (11-2) at Eugene, OR
Sat, Nov 29 Utah (5-7) Boulder, CO

I think you're right in a lot of your assumptions if we were playing last years level of Pac12 competition with this years team. I think a lot has changed throughout the league that not a lot of people are taking into consideration.

I predict we win the bolded games. As Cowherd said as I drove in this morning, us sports fans need to have hope. Hope and change!!! 6 wins + a win at a bowl game.

Sat, Aug 30 Colorado State (8-6) Denver, CO
Sat, Sep 06 Massachusetts (1-11) at Foxborough, MA
Sat, Sep 13 Arizona State (10-4) Boulder, CO
Sat, Sep 20 Hawai'i (1-11) Boulder, CO
Sat, Sep 27 California (1-11) at Berkeley, CA
Sat, Oct 04 Oregon State (7-6) Boulder, CO
Sat, Oct 18 USC (10-4) at Los Angeles, CA
Sat, Oct 25 UCLA (10-3) Boulder, CO
Sat, Nov 01 Washington (9-4) Boulder, CO
Sat, Nov 08 Arizona (8-5) at Tucson, AZ
Sat, Nov 22 Oregon (11-2) at Eugene, OR
Sat, Nov 29 Utah (5-7) Boulder, CO

Absolutely.

• Two of last years four victories were earned over lower division programs (Central Ark, Charleston Southern). [1]
  • Of the FBS teams we beat one win came against a 1-11 Cal team (there only win was against Portland State). [2]
  • Our most impressive victory was against a CSU team that actually went 8-6 and actually beat other FBS teams. [3]
  • Every team that beat us scored 44 points or more on us except Utah (24 to 17, 5-7 season). [4]
  • We did not win a single game outside the state of Colorado. [5]

Given the above bullet points I note that there are no FCS teams on this years schedule to push around. We do play 3 teams that went 1-11 last year (Hawaii, UMass, and Cal) but two of those games will be outside of Colorado requiring us to win on the road.

Every other team on our schedule had 8 wins or more last year except Utah and Oregon State. Two of those schools have new coaches and both are widely considered coaching upgrades over their predecessor and both those schools have deeper pools of talent.

Assuming we beat all three 1-11 teams, a 5 win Utah team in Boulder, and an improving CSU team we would have to beat one of those eight win teams AND we would have to win on the road somewhere to get to 6-6. Maybe we beat Oregon State in Boulder. I dunno.

1. Here is a list of the teams...
  • Team A (#127)
  • Team B (#135)
  • Team C (#193)
  • Team D (#169)
-What's the common theme? All four of those teams are ****ing awful. CU is #75 by the way
-Both OOC schedules are against utter **** teams, and CSU is going to take a big step back this year

2. So? Cal is one of the games I'm predicting us to win, if not we win 5 games.

3. Most impressive victory was Cal, not CSU.

4. Ok it's not like I'm predicting us to beat ASU or UCLA or anything. Your point about teams we lost to scored 44, what was the spread of the final score? That's more important than saying a team scored x points.

5. Teams we played outside of Colorado last year...
  • Oregon State (#29)
  • Arizona State (#19)
  • UCLA (#8)
  • Washington (#11)
  • Utah (#34)
-That's a BIG difference between this...
  • UMass (#193)
  • Cal (#118)
-You're trying to draw too big of a conclusion based on samples that are extremely different.

You seem to be overrating the six teams I think we beat (OOC then Cal, OSU, and Utah). OSU was by far the best team out of that group last year, and like us they graduated their best WR and lose 17 total seniors AND they have to come to Boulder. Our 2014 schedule sets up very nicely since all but one of the winnable games are at home. So go through each game I predict us to win and tell me why predicting wins over THOSE teams is kool aid.

• CSU - lost just about everything off of a mediocre at best team
  • Hawaii - another awful MWC team
  • UMass - another awful MAC team with a new head coach in a program that has not been able to competitive even in the MAC, also not a "true" road game as it's at a neutral site
  • OSU - lost a lost on Cooks who was the best WR in the nation (lose 3 starting OL, 4 WRs, 1 LB, 2 CBs)
  • Cal - true away game against a desperate program, they'll be improved but I'm not sure how much, that program is a hot mess and reminds me of the 2011 Embree team
  • Utah - have never scared me, could very well have fired Wittingham by time we play them (lose two starting OL, starting RB, 3 starting DL, 1 LB, and 1 CB)

None of those teams were good last year except OSU and they lost a lot as you can see. I really do not see how predicting two wins at home over below average Pac 12 teams, one road win against a awful Pac 12 team, and expecting to sweep the OOC schedule that is full of cup cakes as drinking "kool aid"

I think you're right in a lot of your assumptions if we were playing last years level of Pac12 competition with this years team. I think a lot has changed throughout the league that not a lot of people are taking into consideration.

There are always a few toss ups in there. Kids that leave, coaches that leave, players that dont work out.

Without Richardson were going have some challenges. It sounds like Sefo is bulking up so we might become a bit more of a running and scrambling team maybe to compensate for less Richardson. Running QBs tend to get hurt and were shallow at QB. Our OL needs to step it up and make life easier for our RBs to run the ball.

But thats not the side of the ball Im all that worried about. That other side is the reason we have not been able to win games. We can't stop the opposition. We can't keep them under 40 points. To me this is where we will or will not get to 6, 5, 4, or even 3 wins.

We'll see, as they say.

You should look at how the defense projects this year, it'll be our best one in a while. Secondary full of upperclassmen and a DL that has one of the best DTs in the Pac 12 on it (Tupuo) and another solid DT in Solis is going to help loads. Tupuo is going to be a boss and command constant double teams which will open things up for every other position on defense. Offense will have trouble at times, but the defense should be fairly good (as Duff said, 6-8 in conference) which would be enough to get to 6 if we can force turnovers, which I'm expecting them to increase the turnovers caused again.

There are always a few toss ups in there. Kids that leave, coaches that leave, players that dont work out.

Without Richardson were going have some challenges. It sounds like Sefo is bulking up so we might become a bit more of a running and scrambling team maybe to compensate for less Richardson. Running QBs tend to get hurt and were shallow at QB. Our OL needs to step it up and make life easier for our RBs to run the ball.

But thats not the side of the ball Im all that worried about. That other side is the reason we have not been able to win games. We can't stop the opposition. We can't keep them under 40 points. To me this is where we will or will not get to 6, 5, 4, or even 3 wins.

We'll see, as they say.

At this point, I'd settle for just slowing the opposition down....

You should look at how the defense projects this year, it'll be our best one in a while. Secondary full of upperclassmen and a DL that has one of the best DTs in the Pac 12 on it (Tupuo) and another solid DT in Solis is going to help loads. Tupuo is going to be a boss and command constant double teams which will open things up for every other position on defense. Offense will have trouble at times, but the defense should be fairly good (as Duff said, 6-8 in conference) which would be enough to get to 6 if we can force turnovers, which I'm expecting them to increase the turnovers caused again.

Tupou and Solis are going to be better, but there was one difference maker on the DL, it was CUD, he's gone. Did anybody pick Tupou as an all P12 performer? Honrable mention, but now he's one of the P12's best? I hope so, but that seems like a lot of wishful thinking. I like our DT's Embo did a good job there, but let's not get crazy here.

The DB's will be the same ones getting torched by various P12 offenses, so forgive me if I don't bet the farm there either.

1. Here is a list of the teams...
  • Team A (#127)
  • Team B (#135)
  • Team C (#193)
  • Team D (#169)
-What's the common theme? All four of those teams are ****ing awful. CU is #75 by the way
-Both OOC schedules are against utter **** teams, and CSU is going to take a big step back this year

2. So? Cal is one of the games I'm predicting us to win, if not we win 5 games.

3. Most impressive victory was Cal, not CSU.

4. Ok it's not like I'm predicting us to beat ASU or UCLA or anything. Your point about teams we lost to scored 44, what was the spread of the final score? That's more important than saying a team scored x points.

5. Teams we played outside of Colorado last year...
  • Oregon State (#29)
  • Arizona State (#19)
  • UCLA (#8)
  • Washington (#11)
  • Utah (#34)
-That's a BIG difference between this...
  • UMass (#193)
  • Cal (#118)
-You're trying to draw too big of a conclusion based on samples that are extremely different.

You seem to be overrating the six teams I think we beat (OOC then Cal, OSU, and Utah). OSU was by far the best team out of that group last year, and like us they graduated their best WR and lose 17 total seniors AND they have to come to Boulder. Our 2014 schedule sets up very nicely since all but one of the winnable games are at home. So go through each game I predict us to win and tell me why predicting wins over THOSE teams is kool aid.

• CSU - lost just about everything off of a mediocre at best team
  • Hawaii - another awful MWC team
  • UMass - another awful MAC team with a new head coach in a program that has not been able to competitive even in the MAC, also not a "true" road game as it's at a neutral site
  • OSU - lost a lost on Cooks who was the best WR in the nation (lose 3 starting OL, 4 WRs, 1 LB, 2 CBs)
  • Cal - true away game against a desperate program, they'll be improved but I'm not sure how much, that program is a hot mess and reminds me of the 2011 Embree team
  • Utah - have never scared me, could very well have fired Wittingham by time we play them (lose two starting OL, starting RB, 3 starting DL, 1 LB, and 1 CB)

None of those teams were good last year except OSU and they lost a lot as you can see. I really do not see how predicting two wins at home over below average Pac 12 teams, one road win against a awful Pac 12 team, and expecting to sweep the OOC schedule that is full of cup cakes as drinking "kool aid"

Your betting on some things going our way and Im betting on things being about the same. We both think we should beat two of the 1-11 teams even the one at the supposed neutral site in Foxboro.

CU tends to own CSU but I dont think McElwain is any better or worse than McIntyre at this point. Both are still playing with other coaches players. Both seem good at preparation and game day.

After the above I dont expect easy wins against Cal, OSU, or Utah. Your betting they fall further or remain about as bad while Im relying on the fact that CU, minus Richardson, is not improved.

Its anyones guess.

Saying the defense will be the "best we've fielded in a while" doesn't mean much.

The team as a whole could be much improved in 2014, and still only win 3 or 4 games. Even if the Buffs get better in 2014 - the rest of the league got better, too. I can't look at any team in the Pac-12 and say they will be WORSE in 2014 than they were in 2013.

Colorado still doesn't have nearly enough speed to contend in the Pac-12.

At this point, I'd settle for just slowing the opposition down....

Tupou and Solis are going to be better, but there was one difference maker on the DL, it was CUD, he's gone. Did anybody pick Tupou as an all P12 performer? Honrable mention, but now he's one of the P12's best? I hope so, but that seems like a lot of wishful thinking. I like our DT's Embo did a good job there, but let's not get crazy here.

The DB's will be the same ones getting torched by various P12 offenses, so forgive me if I don't bet the farm there either.

We can't create turnovers. Until we can do that were not going to get wins. Often, you need the DL to create pressure so your DBs can generate take aways.

So yeah, just slowing them down for a change would be a good first step.

Saying the defense will be the "best we've fielded in a while" doesn't mean much.

The team as a whole could be much improved in 2014, and still only win 3 or 4 games. Even if the Buffs get better in 2014 - the rest of the league got better, too. I can't look at any team in the Pac-12 and say they will be WORSE in 2014 than they were in 2013.

Colorado still doesn't have nearly enough speed to contend in the Pac-12.

We need speed.

Your betting on some things going our way and Im betting on things being about the same. We both think we should beat two of the 1-11 teams even the one at the supposed neutral site in Foxboro.

CU tends to own CSU but I dont think McElwain is any better or worse than McIntyre at this point. Both are still playing with other coaches players. Both seem good at preparation and game day.

After the above I dont expect easy wins against Cal, OSU, or Utah. Your betting they fall further or remain about as bad while Im relying on the fact that CU, minus Richardson, is not improved.

Its anyones guess.

MacIntyre >>>Sparkles and the head to head record shows that. I'll respond to the test later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can't create turnovers. Until we can do that were not going to get wins. Often, you need the DL to create pressure so your DBs can generate take aways.

12 Forced Fumbles last year and G. Hendo (4 picks) is returning with another year of experience.. I don't think we did that terribly in TO category, but there is room for improvement.

12 Forced Fumbles last year and G. Hendo (4 picks) is returning with another year of experience.. I don't think we did that terribly in TO category, but there is room for improvement.

Miami can be a bit slow sometimes, he believed for a while that athletes had the same entrance requirements as normal students and that was our issue.

(Just poking you Miami :smile2:)

:lol: God, I can't even remember any of those though I dont doubt they happened. I retract my point.

Miami can be a bit slow sometimes, he believed for a while that athletes had the same entrance requirements as normal students and that was our issue.

(Just poking you Miami :smile2:)

:wink2: No worries.

:lol: God, I can't even remember any of those though I dont doubt they happened. I retract my point.

Well unfortunately a lot of them happened against weak competition or did not sway the outcome of the game. The two that stick out to me though were the 4th quarter forced fumbles against CSU and C. Arkansas to close out both of those games.

We'll see, as they say.

My hope is that teams can become a bit one dimensional when they have a superstar, and without him, they can become more well rounded. I hope that between kids that were allowed to redshirt and learn for a year, new talent, and returning guys with more experience, that we will be able to spread the ball out much more evenly and not be so obvious that we are always looking for ONE GUY.

That, with more OL coaching, with the sophomore RB gaining experience, and a defense that should really be much improved this year should mean closer games, and more chances to pull out a win. The kids kept fighting in almost every game last year, even when behind by way too much. Keep that score tighter and I think they will show us quite a bit of improvement this year.

Down with 4. But am planning to take some time off around the end of the year just incase there is a rare bowl opportunity.

I'll say we win 5, including the spring game. +/-1. That's my realistic opinion.

Not quite. Researching a topic is something you clearly don't do

Syko's just a groundpounder who was obviously stationed far too close to the batteries (KA-BOOM!), during manuevers! It makes him rather cranky.

Keep 'em rollin', Syko!

3 or 4. The CSU game is not a gimme, despite their losing Gilmore, Bibbs, and the O-Line. That QB really improved in the 2nd half of the year.

Despite? WTF???

Oddly, 'tini missed the obvious: Yeah, he really improved the 2nd half of the year but precisely because he played behind a senior O-Line, had an excellent back for their run game in Bibbs and huge targets in Gilmore and that other TE Brown---ALL OF WHOM ARE NOW GONE!

And you don't even mention that CSU's best defender, MWC Defensive POY Barrett and all three of his mates on their D-Line, also used up their eligibility......

Are we agreed it starts in the trenches? If so, CSU is down 8 of 9 starters on both sides of the ball.

I can't help but to believe that the odds will finally catch up with us and we will win that "signature" game. Could that happen this year?

Syko's just a groundpounder who was obviously stationed far too close to the batteries (KA-BOOM!), during manuevers! It makes him rather cranky.

Keep 'em rollin', Syko!

:lol: This may be true, too many jumps and being tossed around in a bradley could be the problem.

Not quite. Researching a topic is something you clearly don't do

RESEARCH? Seriously, after the atrocious defense everyone but YOU clearly witnessed every saturday last season? Reality is something you've never done here.

Back