What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I think we go 4-8 in 2014

Does CSU have another one of those years where they replace all their lost lineman with Juniors and other guys with plenty of experience? For years it has seemed like CSU has had so much more depth on the oline than us (who hasn't).

It sure seems like our D should be better, but I'd also like to see if our DC can come up with some better game plans too. He was probably limited due to his personnel last year, but sometimes what we were doing seemed a bit questionable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FWIW I think it has the makings of one of those years at CSU. Too much is being made about the losses on the offensive line. CSU should start three redshirt seniors along the O-line to start the year. Sambrillo (6'5 310) at LT; Hathaway (6'5 300) at RT and Meyers (6'3 300) at C/RG. That leaves the LG/C positions to be filled with two of Zerblis (RSO), Nowland (RFR), Golditch (RFR), and Riviera (RFR). There will definitely be some adjustments, but the all-important tackle positions will have good experience and Meyers should help break in the young guys along the interior. I know the staff was high on Zerblis last season and feel good about him going into the year.

The defensive line is the real problem. There is just not a lot of depth and Barrett is going to be very hard to replace. The staff has its work cut out to find a pass rusher and an impact nose guard. I am not sure CSU has those guys on the roster unless someone really takes a big step forward this off season. The Colorado kids, Berk and Kuwulok, are going to be critical this year.

Last edited:
FWIW I think it has the makings of one of those years at CSU. Too much is being made about the losses on the offensive line. CSU should start three redshirt seniors along the O-line to start the year. Sambrillo (6'5 310) at LT; Hathaway (6'5 300) at RT and Meyers (6'3 300) at C/RG. That leaves the LG/C positions to be filled with two of Zerblis (RSO), Nowland (RFR), Golditch (RFR), and Riviera (RFR). There will definitely be some adjustments, but the all-important tackle positions will have good experience and Meyers should help break in the young guys along the interior. I know the staff was high on Zerblis last season and feel good about him going into the year.

The defensive line is the real problem. There is just not a lot of depth and Barrett is going to be very hard to replace. The staff has its work cut out to find a pass rusher and an impact nose guard. I am not sure CSU has those guys on the roster unless someone really takes a big step forward this off season. The Colorado kids, Berk and Kuwulok, are going to be critical this year.

I always find this argument intriguing. What you have are three fifth year seniors, who, presumably, have been in the program, lifting practicing, training but never having cracked the starting lineup for four solid years and suddenly, in year five they are going to be inserted without missing a beat. Forgive me, but if you had an OL who was a solid performer, they would be in the starting five before their fifth year.

I always find this argument intriguing. What you have are three fifth year seniors, who, presumably, have been in the program, lifting practicing, training but never having cracked the starting lineup for four solid years and suddenly, in year five they are going to be inserted without missing a beat. Forgive me, but if you had an OL who was a solid performer, they would be in the starting five before their fifth year.

Still seems like a better situation than us. At least they've got some experience and time in the program. Plus they were riding the pine behind a pretty good line so they may have skill.

Sambrillo has started since his Sophmore season at LT and Hathaway and Meyers have both played meaningful minutes at various points of their careers. I am not arguing the O-line isn't going to miss a beat - it definitely will. I just don't think the drop off will be as dramatic as some think and by the end of the year it has the potential to gel into a solid unit. For all his faults, O-line is the position group Fairchild actually recruited really well. These three are basically the last remaining "leftovers" from the prior staff and should provide the groundwork for a competent group.

The drop off the first game is gong to be big, and frankly that's all I give a **** about. CSU is gonna have lots of trouble with Tupuo and Gillam come September

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt. You can thank Hawk for doing nothing in recruiting the year he got fired.. his strategy of pressing recruiting players after the season was over was ridiculous. Not to mention JE taking some risks in recruiting that didn't pan out and are no longer here. HCMM really has had little to work with, the situation will get better but we have to be patient as a fan base. Sucks because we have been waiting since 2008.

I'd say 2003

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sambrillo has started since his Sophmore season at LT and Hathaway and Meyers have both played meaningful minutes at various points of their careers. I am not arguing the O-line isn't going to miss a beat - it definitely will. I just don't think the drop off will be as dramatic as some think and by the end of the year it has the potential to gel into a solid unit. For all his faults, O-line is the position group Fairchild actually recruited really well. These three are basically the last remaining "leftovers" from the prior staff and should provide the groundwork for a competent group.

You had a record breaking OL last year including the 2nd best Center in the nation (CSU's best OL ever?). A "competent" OL this year will be a "dramatic" dropoff, especialy in game one

Back