What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I wonder how long OSU's Marcus Smart will get suspended

Orr has agreed to not attend any more games (home or away) the remainder of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas Tech would've banned from atleast home games for the rest of the season to begin with. He's hoping by self-sanctioning himself, he'll be welcomed back next year. If I were Texas Tech I'd suspend him indefinitely from campus.

Situation resolved. Both parties got what they deserved. Smart gets a suspension and a lesson. Heckling fan gets a suspension and a lesson. Works for me.

@Jake_Trotter: Orr in statement: "I regret calling Mr. Smart a “piece of crap” but I want to make it known that I did not use a racial slur of any kind."

If he only called him a "piece of crap," can't imagine he would suspend himself for the rest of the season.

Orr has agreed to not attend any more games (home or away) the remainder of the year.

Texas Tech would've banned from at least home games for the rest of the season to begin with. He's hoping by self-sanctioning himself, he'll be welcomed back next year. If I were Texas Tech I'd suspend him indefinitely from campus.

Situation resolved. Both parties got what they deserved. Smart gets a suspension and a lesson. Heckling fan gets a suspension and a lesson. Works for me.

I know its the same result - Orr doesn't got to any more games this year -but IMO, there is a big difference in the message. Orr has a documented history of being an asshole fan. Now he gets to "do the honorable thing" and issue his own punishment. We have no clue if TTU would have banned him, or do we? I haven't seen any statement from them. It would have been a lot more powerful if TTU had said "your not welcome back this year" but they didn't.

In fairness, the first few times I saw 'Orr' in this thread, the only connection I made was to our Orr.

Ditto, although I imagine our Orr would not have apologized.

No matter what the fan did a player can't go into the stands, at the same time it cannot be acceptable for fans to act in a way that is this highly provocative.

We already saw what happened at the Indiana Pacers game a few years ago. These are big, highly trained athletes who could potentially do serious damage to a fan much faster than anyone could get there to pull them off. At the same time the athlete is at great risk of bieng outnumbered by out of control fans. The potential for someone to get seriously hurt is much to high to ever let it get close to that kind of confrontation.

In my mind players who go into the stands should recieve penalties similar to what players get who assault officials. At the same time the schools have to do a better job of policing what the fans are saying and doing. Minimum penalty should be the uncompensated forfeiture of your remainding tickets for the season and potentially a ban for all or part of the following season, plus if it goes beyond verbal actions being turned over to the legal authorities.

It should be noted that this wasn't a bunch of "drunken students" it was a supposedly adult who assumedly has a hig paying job with a degree of responsibility in order to afford premium seats. This guy is living proof that age, education, and income don't mean that someone has a reasonable level of maturity.

I know its the same result - Orr doesn't got to any more games this year -but IMO, there is a big difference in the message. Orr has a documented history of being an asshole fan. Now he gets to "do the honorable thing" and issue his own punishment. We have no clue if TTU would have banned him, or do we? I haven't seen any statement from them. It would have been a lot more powerful if TTU had said "your not welcome back this year" but they didn't.

Texas Tech loses 10% of their basketball season ticket holders if he doesn't come back next year. Risky proposition.

Texas Tech did issue a statement.

http://www.texastech.com/genrel/020914aab.html

Mr. Orr has admitted to directing an inappropriate phrase toward Marcus Smart. Texas Tech has been able to verify that statement independently through video provided by Texas Tech Sports Broadcasting. At no point on the film can a racial slur be heard.

Texas Tech is committed to sportsmanship and expects fans to abide by the rules set forth by the Big 12 Conference and the university. Comments such as those used by Mr. Orr are unacceptable and not condoned by Texas Tech University.

As a result of this incident, Mr. Orr has voluntarily agreed to not attend a Texas Tech home or away basketball game for the remainder of the season.

Texas Tech loses 10% of their basketball season ticket holders if he doesn't come back next year. Risky proposition.

I was only talking about this year, but in any case, that's exactly my point: TTU put the $$$ above sportsmanship, and tacit approval of bad fan behavior. I am all for heckling, but Orr's documented behavior - past and present - is unacceptable.

Why is everyone coming down so hard on this Orr guy? You're not allowed to yell, "you're a piece of crap" at opposing players? Since when?

Heard the interview just now. Takeaways:

1. "I apologize"
2. "This is not how I condone (sic) myself"
3. "I have a lot of kids that look up to me"
4. "I really apologize"

Very emotional guy, so I understand that within the context of playing a close game. Fans aren't fair game if you're in their area though, can't do that!

No matter what the fan did a player can't go into the stands, at the same time it cannot be acceptable for fans to act in a way that is this highly provocative.

We already saw what happened at the Indiana Pacers game a few years ago. These are big, highly trained athletes who could potentially do serious damage to a fan much faster than anyone could get there to pull them off. At the same time the athlete is at great risk of bieng outnumbered by out of control fans. The potential for someone to get seriously hurt is much to high to ever let it get close to that kind of confrontation.

In my mind players who go into the stands should recieve penalties similar to what players get who assault officials. At the same time the schools have to do a better job of policing what the fans are saying and doing. Minimum penalty should be the uncompensated forfeiture of your remainding tickets for the season and potentially a ban for all or part of the following season, plus if it goes beyond verbal actions being turned over to the legal authorities.

It should be noted that this wasn't a bunch of "drunken students" it was a supposedly adult who assumedly has a hig paying job with a degree of responsibility in order to afford premium seats. This guy is living proof that age, education, and income don't mean that someone has a reasonable level of maturity.
I wish it was only a few years ago, it was a decade ago though.

"Celebrity" boxing match between Orr and Smart. These just don't happen enough people.

Orr should have matched the suspension at three games.

02/12/14 at Oklahoma Norman, Okla. 7:00 p.m. CT
02/15/14 at Iowa State Ames, Iowa 12:30 p.m. CT
02/18/14 vs. Kansas Lubbock, Texas 7:00 p.m. CT
02/22/14 at Oklahoma State Stillwater, Okla. 12:30 p.m. CT
02/25/14 vs. Kansas State Lubbock, Texas 6:00 p.m. CT
03/01/14 at Baylor Waco, Texas 12:30 p.m. CT
03/05/14 at Kansas Lawrence, Kan. 7:00 p.m. CT
03/08/14 vs. Texas Lubbock, Texas 3:00 p.m. CT

Make Orr go to Stillwater and sit his ass in the student section.
Not going to games in Ames, Waco, Norman and Lawrence is quite the sacrifice, by the way.

02/12/14 at Oklahoma Norman, Okla. 7:00 p.m. CT
02/15/14 at Iowa State Ames, Iowa 12:30 p.m. CT
02/18/14 vs. Kansas Lubbock, Texas 7:00 p.m. CT
02/22/14 at Oklahoma State Stillwater, Okla. 12:30 p.m. CT
02/25/14 vs. Kansas State Lubbock, Texas 6:00 p.m. CT
03/01/14 at Baylor Waco, Texas 12:30 p.m. CT
03/05/14 at Kansas Lawrence, Kan. 7:00 p.m. CT
03/08/14 vs. Texas Lubbock, Texas 3:00 p.m. CT

Make Orr go to Stillwater and sit his ass in the student section.
Not going to games in Ames, Waco, Norman and Lawrence is quite the sacrifice, by the way.
Like I said early, by self-sanctioning here and really only missing 3 games (I know he goes to away games but Texas Tech has no control over those), he's hoping this will die down and Tech won't revoke his tickets further. It's a good move on his part IMO, but I think Tech should ban him from their campus for atleast the rest of this calender year.

Why is everyone coming down so hard on this Orr guy? You're not allowed to yell, "you're a piece of crap" at opposing players? Since when?

I think most assume he probably said something much worse then "you're a piece of crap." I don't trash talk college kids, myself, but I know I have heard a lot worse stuff then "piece of crap," in college arenas

I think most assume he probably said something much worse then "you're a piece of crap." I don't trash talk college kids, myself, but I know I have heard a lot worse stuff then "piece of crap," in college arenas

This.

I'm sorry, but part of me really wanted Smart to tee off on the guy. I'm lucky in that my section is pretty cool. People are creative, but not racist/homophobic/horrible human beings. That's how it should be. But I've sat in other parts of the Keg and heard things that made me horrified to be a CU fan. Fans need to realize that just because you buy a ticket doesn't give you a right to be a complete jackass and say anything you want. Plus I find it interesting that everyone seems to be assuming that the 50+ year old guy who has a history of being an asshole is automatically assumed to be telling the truth, whereas the 19 year old kid who just this summer was praised for his maturity and intelligence is being trashed.

Both people were wrong, but I'm not sure how Smart is some animal now.

Like I said early, by self-sanctioning here and really only missing 3 games (I know he goes to away games but Texas Tech has no control over those), he's hoping this will die down and Tech won't revoke his tickets further. It's a good move on his part IMO, but I think Tech should ban him from their campus for atleast the rest of this calender year.

How on earth could Texas Tech suspend him? Tech has already come out with a statement saying Mr. Orr said nothing inappropriate. They even went so far as to provide a video with sound where you can't hear any type of racial slur. So what is Texas Tech's ground for having the man banished from the arena? Because he called someone a piece of crap? If schools start banishing fans from the arena because they stay in their seat and call someone a piece of crap, there aren't going to be any fans left to watch the game.

Great read.

And stuff like this is EXACTLY why I think if a kid has the chance to go pro, he has to (I'm speaking to you Spencer...)

How on earth could Texas Tech suspend him? Tech has already come out with a statement saying Mr. Orr said nothing inappropriate. They even went so far as to provide a video with sound where you can't hear any type of racial slur. So what is Texas Tech's ground for having the man banished from the arena? Because he called someone a piece of crap? If schools start banishing fans from the arena because they stay in their seat and call someone a piece of crap, there aren't going to be any fans left to watch the game.

They would've suspended him if he didn't self sanction himself. There would've been enough pressure. Read the back of your ticket stub, pretty sure taunting an opponent might be enough. Texas Tech (or any school) is the judge, jury, and executioner on these things. If they decide you went over the line that's enough. Whatever Orr said, it was enough to get a reaction from Smart. And other players have come out and have said he has been an issue in the past. Last thing in the world, you want is to have a "Robin Ficker."

Back