What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Idiotic coaching

I thought that DD had gotten out of bounds and was surprised when I notice that the game clock was down under 10 seconds.

But it's not my job to notice that.

Coaches ****ed up there. Either because they didn't notice, didn't properly prep Sefo, didn't properly communicate with Sefo, or were unable to come up with a play in over 20 seconds. Post-game, Sefo said something about that offsides being unfortunate. I don't think he understands yet what happened. There was only 1 second left in the half when the guy jumped.
Complete cluster ****. That's what that play was

The play is blown dead by the whistle. If forward progress is stopped their will be a whistle, but the play is not over until the whistle is blown. The start of the play is blown by a whistle from the white hat, it's the same to end it. If DD's forward progress was stopped the ref should have blown the whistle, but since he didn't the play is still live.
Huh?

I know that. But what does all that have to do with the play there and the clock winding down?
The clock should have stopped, but apparently since he was ruled down by forward progress despite their being no whistle the clock was running and Sefo was apparently unaware of it.

I present this...

1237576305_arnoldbouncypecs.gif

Calling your last timeout with 1 min left in half after getting a first down? You knew that drive was going to end in hilariously stupid fashion after that incompetent clock management... and then the clown college last play, that was something I would expect CSU to do. With Sefo obviously confused, the coaching staff should have been signaling frantically for a spike when he was looking over there, not just standing there going durrrrrr... no wonder this coaching staff can't win any games with that kind of brain power haha.

Over/Under on how many posts that start with "we were so close and might have won if not for that bad break at end of first half. this was another moral victory loss for us! hurray!" will be created after we lose this game?
CSU is pretty good this year, dummy.

The clock should have stopped, but apparently since he was ruled down by forward progress despite their being no whistle the clock was running and Sefo was apparently unaware of it.
The whistle is never blown immediately on the stoppage of forward progress. This is to allow for the possibility of the offensive player regaining control and continuing the play. The proper officiating mechanics would to let the play continue until the player is down, out of bounds, or it is clear that the ball runner has given up on the play.

On the play in question from my seat I could not see if he went out laterally or forward and I missed the official winding the clock on the whistle, so I was confused as well during the whole sequence.

Did you watch the game?

The coaches were yelling for Sefo to spike the ball with about 20 seconds left. MacIntyre was out on the field signaling to spike the ball. Sefo looked at the coaches TWICE and still didn't spike the ball.

Its Panda! Of course he didn't watch the game or at least not while sober!

The play starts and ends with the whistle

It's just like when an incomplete pass is thrown, if the refs whistle doesn't blow simultaneously with the ball hitting the ground, it's a live ball until he blows the whistle.

I just watched Mac2's post-game presser on Rivals.

What he said happened at the end of regulation was that the ref signaled the play over with his arms above his head at 23 seconds. At that point, MacIntyre turned to his coaches and they began discussing the play call. Then, he noticed at 17 seconds that the ref had wound his arm and it they tried, but failed, to communicate to Sefo that they needed him to spike the ball. Mac2 took the blame for it.

I just watched Mac2's post-game presser on Rivals.

What he said happened at the end of regulation was that the ref signaled the play over with his arms above his head at 23 seconds. At that point, MacIntyre turned to his coaches and they began discussing the play call. Then, he noticed at 17 seconds that the ref had wound his arm and it they tried, but failed, to communicate to Sefo that they needed him to spike the ball. Mac2 took the blame for it.

That still hurt so bad. Kids needed the three at least after the turnover and being close. Needed those points to go into the locker room up, and UCLA down. With no timeouts, that has to be watched better. It was a first I believe, a spike with so little time hurts nothing as you can't run four plays anyway.

That still hurt so bad. Kids needed the three at least after the turnover and being close. Needed those points to go into the locker room up, and UCLA down. With no timeouts, that has to be watched better. It was a first I believe, a spike with so little time hurts nothing as you can't run four plays anyway.
Yep. After the first down, the next play should've been to spike the ball no matter what.

I'm glad to hear that MM took the blame for it, but that was Sefo's fault. The ref wound the clock not once, but twice. He did everything he could to make sure that everybody knew that DD didn't make it out of bounds. The ref was absolutely and 100% correct there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jake Plummer made a good point in the studio, he said that whenever they were in that situation they had a play called "Clock," he would audible/yell it out, everyone would just stay where they were and the ball would be snapped and spiked. I can't believe that we couldn't, at worst, do that with ~ 8-10 secs left. Again, I think Sefo freaked because they had a run called and he knew that the half would end if they didn't score, unless he audibled.

I'm glad to hear that MM took the blame for it, but that was Sefo's fault. The ref wound the clock not once, but twice. He did everything he could to make sure that everybody knew that DD didn't make it out of bounds. The ref was absolutely and 100% correct there.

It was very weird - I could not figure out what Sefo was doing. Makes me wonder how much hurry up offense and two minute drill they have been practicing.

This!

Now if GB was still the coach it would have definitely been blamed on Sefo----just ask Craig Ochs!

1. I agree with 'Tini, there was an error on the refs part. However, I think we all agree that they're not to blame for this, but DD did run right out of bounds and then the whistle was blown. There was never an opportunity for forward progress to be stopped.

2. I think we're seeing a problem with the dependency on plays being constantly signaled from the sideline. Has Sefo ever been empowered to react to that situation? HCMM was calling in a play he didn't understand. I'd bet that Sefo would be the first to tell you that he brainfarted this one, and he certainly knows he should have spiked the ball. But I think the problem was a seam in the broader system.

After watching this gif a few times, it seems that coach Mac did, indeed, gesture and attempt to communicate with urgency and extreme prejudice.

"Strike the sprawl!" "Bike the mall!" "pike the doll!"

Spy kit!
Spy kit!
Spy kit!
It's very confusing.

It was very weird - I could not figure out what Sefo was doing. Makes me wonder how much hurry up offense and two minute drill they have been practicing.

Legit question.

I would be surprised if they haven't spent a significant amount of time in practice on it. Problem is making practice translate. You can't simulate a stadium full of fans, an opposing defense, and all the rest of the things that happen in the moment to make something like this happen.

We can be pretty sure though that Sefo will never forget this. He will probably be double checking the clock at the end of halves the rest of his playing career just to make sure.

Back