What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Idiotic coaching

Just out of curiosity, how many times will you have to hear that he DID signal a running clock before you believe it?

You're right in one way - it's very simple. He made the right call. It's that simple.
I've specifically watched the line judge multiple times and never did he signal a running clock

I heard from someone after the game (haven't seen a video) that the SJ signaled clock stop/out of bounds and another and another ref wound the clock. The right call was to have the clock run, but if another ref did signal something different than I can understand the confusion.

Still had plenty of time to spike it and get the FG unit out there. Sefo froze and that is all there is too it. Mac blew a TO earlier in the half which also would have come in handy.

You have to stop the clock to move the chains for a first down. That's the "waving the hands over the head" motion. The ref did that and then IMMEDIATELY signaled the "wind the clock" motion with his arm to signal that once the ball is set, the clock is to start again.

All this talk about what the side judge did ignores the fact that it's the head referee that actually starts the clock again once the ball is set. EVERYBODY can see that.

All this time working the chains at high school games has, believe it or not, given me some good insight into how football games are officiated.

I've specifically watched the line judge multiple times and never did he signal a running clock

then the camera must have panned away from him, because it was right in front of me, and I saw it. I remember thinking at the time "did he get out of bounds or are they going to say his forward progress was stopped? ... Oh, I guess his forward progress was stopped because the ref is signalling for a running clock".

He signaled for the running clock. I swear to you he did. I saw it with my own eyes. Call me nuts, but I look closely at stuff like that. Not only did he signal for the running clock, he took a good two steps out on to the playing field and looked directly over to the CU coaches while swinging his arm around.

You are missing something, because one of the two refs over there absolutely did the windmill running clock thing, a few seconds after the whistle. PAC12 Network feed caught it, showed it at halftime and after the game.

He certainly did. I was looking right at him and immediately knew the clock was running. Then I started watching the clock and the team. Right then, the back judge was holding his hand up, holding the snap until a ucla player get off the field. All that time, the clock was ticking. I was pissed that he held the snap while the clock was ticking in order to allow the ucla guy get off the field. But he DEFINITELY gave the "wind the clock" signal. No doubt, 'tini.

I heard from someone after the game (haven't seen a video) that the SJ signaled clock stop/out of bounds and another and another ref wound the clock. The right call was to have the clock run, but if another ref did signal something different than I can understand the confusion.

Still had plenty of time to spike it and get the FG unit out there. Sefo froze and that is all there is too it. Mac blew a TO earlier in the half which also would have come in handy.

That is incorrect. It was all the same official. He spotted the end of the play. He signaled for the clock to stop for the 1st down. He signaled for the clock to roll again for the game clock.

You have to stop the clock to move the chains for a first down. That's the "waving the hands over the head" motion. The ref did that and then IMMEDIATELY signaled the "wind the clock" motion with his arm to signal that once the ball is set, the clock is to start again.

All this talk about what the side judge did ignores the fact that it's the head referee that actually starts the clock again once the ball is set. EVERYBODY can see that.

All this time working the chains at high school games has, believe it or not, given me some good insight into how football games are officiated.

This is exactly what happened and there was no delay in it. Only exception is that the official who spotted the ball at the forward progress point, gave the dead ball motion, then wound the arm was the linesman (indicated by the big L on the back of his shirt.)

DD was about 3-4 yards in bounds when his forward progress was stopped. He was pushed back from the pile and under his own power backed out of bounds, in no way was he trying to keep the play alive.

The head referee then placed the ball and as you stated started the clock.

Everyone knows that we have had enough complaints about PAC12 officials this season but this one was done exactly as it is supposed to be done. We (our QB) failed to recognize the situation and no other player on the field called his attention to it successfully.

Legit question.

I would be surprised if they haven't spent a significant amount of time in practice on it. Problem is making practice translate. You can't simulate a stadium full of fans, an opposing defense, and all the rest of the things that happen in the moment to make something like this happen.

We can be pretty sure though that Sefo will never forget this. He will probably be double checking the clock at the end of halves the rest of his playing career just to make sure.

You could say the exact same thing about throwing into double coverage and yet.........

The ref clearly did the 'wind the clock' motion right after he went out of bounds. We ****ed up.

Agree. It was the Buffs miss. SIAP, but DD was pushed out nearly two yards behind where we was first contacted. It was the right call. If his momentum carried him straight OOB then the clock should have been stopped.

Real time looked like the clock should have been stopped, but the refs got it right. Guarantee that "clocking the ball" will be reviewed this week. Growth moment at the least, more like a f*** up learning moment. Oh well, let's just beat Washington and forget about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched it on the DVR several times tonight. The correct call was made. The only complaint I have was the mechanics used by the Linesman. The field judge was correct to signal a clock stoppage immediately, however the linesman should have made the clock running signal first, then followed it up with the clock stop signal for the first down. Instead he did the clock stop signal and then made a weak clock running signal, he should have emphasized the clock running signal more with a full arm wind.

Other than that what they did was correct.

I watched it on the DVR several times tonight. The correct call was made. The only complaint I have was the mechanics used by the Linesman. The field judge was correct to signal a clock stoppage immediately, however the linesman should have made the clock running signal first, then followed it up with the clock stop signal for the first down. Instead he did the clock stop signal and then made a weak clock running signal, he should have emphasized the clock running signal more with a full arm wind.

Other than that what they did was correct.

You are correct! Generally speaking - if the clock is to continue moving - the referee FIRST signals to keep the clock moving, and then signals to stop the clock to re-position the 1st down marker. In this case, the referee first signaled to stop the clock, and then immediately made the signal to restart the clock. And even that signal was strange. It looked like he was making the signal to wind the PLAY clock. He made the circular arm signal with his elbow at the WAIST, rather than the signal with his arm going over his head.

Does Nembot get a free pass on this?[emoji12]

Sent from my SM-N910V

This is where I'm at. Maybe they were trying to spike the ball (I know they weren't, either that or Sefo doesn't want to throw his lineman under the bus), Nembot still jumped and the 10 sec runoff F'd us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't understand what all the confusion is.

THE REFEREE DETERMINED HIS FORWARD PROGRESS HAD BEEN STOPPED. THE REFEREE SIGNALED FOR THE GAME CLOCK TO RESUME.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

There was no hidden signal. The referee signaled right there where Goodson went out of bounds. It's not like this was hidden and nobody saw it. Anybody who was looking saw it.

I guess you can argue that his forward progress WASN'T stopped -- but that's not what the referee on the field called -- so it's completely irrelevant to what happened afterwards.

You are correct! Generally speaking - if the clock is to continue moving - the referee FIRST signals to keep the clock moving, and then signals to stop the clock to re-position the 1st down marker. In this case, the referee first signaled to stop the clock, and then immediately made the signal to restart the clock. And even that signal was strange. It looked like he was making the signal to wind the PLAY clock. He made the circular arm signal with his elbow at the WAIST, rather than the signal with his arm going over his head.

I wouldn't put this in the same category as the infamous first down QB sneak. That was an actual play call from the sidelines. The situational awareness was completely nonexistant in that case. Here, the coaches seemed to understand the situation, it was Sefo who was bamboozled.

I wouldn't put this in the same category as the infamous first down QB sneak. That was an actual play call from the sidelines. The situational awareness was completely nonexistant in that case. Here, the coaches seemed to understand the situation, it was Sefo who was bamboozled.

True. Plus when I think of the 1st and 10 QB sneak, I just start laughing out loud each time because it was so insanely stupid it was funny. The SB nation article with gifs gave the epic fail it's due.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/11/17/3658920/colorado-football-qb-sneak/in/3421671

mods - can we please change the thread title to, "Idiotic Posting"? thank you.
Hey Goalline, I was fishing in the past about my post... when you see "Idiotic Coaching" that pops to mind first. There were a few blunders under that regime. I am constantly reminded of that play by the dumb, FAT Ass nub I work with. He f**king suks @ss just like his team.

Hey Goalline, I was fishing in the past about my post... when you see "Idiotic Coaching" that pops to mind first. There were a few blunders under that regime. I am constantly reminded of that play by the dumb, FAT Ass nub I work with. He f**king suks @ss just like his team.

Yes. That was idiotic. So is most of this thread.

Back