What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If 2 B12 teams went to the Pac-10

i think we could develop a pretty healthy rivalry with Utah. the onus is on us to be competitive at this point. they've got two BCS wins in the last 6 years. i don't think too much of their current basketball coach but, then again, they've been a bubble type/NIT team since Majerus retired and we've been squat.

Would UT have enough pull if it was the only Texass school in the Pac10? I dunno, the 3 cali schools (and oregon with the phil Knight $$) might be enough of a counterweight to keep the pac 10 from folding to UT.

Except the fact that the Pac-10 requires a unanimous vote to approve issues.

So, the next time there is an important issue that the other schools want, UT could vote "no" until concessions were made for them.

PAC10 will not take UT unless UT agrees to major changes including revenue sharing. The guy working for the PAC10 and expansion worked for the Big12 and from reading some quotes posted in other threads, I don't think he would want anything to do with UT.

Adding UT to the PAC would greatly upset the balance of the conference. UT would come in with the highest athletic budget, and quickly turn the PAC into U$C, UT, and everyone else.

Just like we have now with OU & UT.

Except the fact that the Pac-10 requires a unanimous vote to approve issues.

So, the next time there is an important issue that the other schools want, UT could vote "no" until concessions were made for them.

Exactly. I suspect eventually, after UT had spent everyone else into oblivion, the concession would be something along the lines of...,"Wouldn't the Rose Bowl look great in Jerry's new stadium?"

PAC10 will not take UT unless UT agrees to major changes including revenue sharing. The guy working for the PAC10 and expansion worked for the Big12 and from reading some quotes posted in other threads, I don't think he would want anything to do with UT.

Adding UT to the PAC would greatly upset the balance of the conference. UT would come in with the highest athletic budget, and quickly turn the PAC into U$C, UT, and everyone else.

Just like we have now with OU & UT.

This. No way Weiberg wants to deal with UT again. He tried to get revenue sharing and a Big 12 Network set up, but UT quashed all that.

IF the Pac-10 wanted another Big 12 team, I'd take CU and KU. Why? Decent AD, great hoops and Lawrence is a little spot of liberaldom in the state. Plus, KC is a decent market to be in.

But realistically, it'll be CU and Utah. The whole "conference of pairs" thing was just a nice accident that was developed over time. The predessecor to the Pac-10, the PCC, at one point comprised of a 10-team league including Idaho and Montana, so it's not like these teams were always in such a balanced league. Heck, the original Pac-10 incarnation (AAWU) only had USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford and Washington in its membership.

Things are a lot different now. This move is to increase TV market and revenue potential. The only way to do that is to grab SLC and Denver. THIS is why expansion will occur and this is why CU and UU will be a part of the Pac-12 very soon.

I'd go with Nebraska. With NU, there may be a cultural mismatch, but not an academic one. According to USN&WR, CU and NU would rank #6 and #7, academically, in the new Pac 12.

Along with CU to the Pac12, I'd want one of the following:

1. Utah
2. Air Force
3. UNLV
4. Nebraska
5. New Mexico
6. San Diego St.
7. Nevada
8. Northern Colorado
9. School of Mines
10. Mullen H.S.
11. Naropa
12. University of Phoenix Online
13. CSU
14. California Culinary Academy
15. 11 guys off the street
16. Notre Dame
17. Texas

In that order.

Along with CU to the Pac12, I'd want one of the following:

1. Utah
2. Air Force
3. UNLV
4. Nebraska
5. New Mexico
6. San Diego St.
7. Nevada
8. Northern Colorado
9. School of Mines
10. Mullen H.S.
11. Naropa
12. University of Phoenix Online
13. CSU
14. California Culinary Academy
15. 11 guys off the street
16. Notre Dame
17. Texas

In that order.

Air Force?

Air Force?

^^^^ THIS!

Yes, yes, YES! I was actually talking with my dad about this possibility. When he was at CU, the Buffs and Zoomies were an EPIC rivalry. He told me a funny story of how the Zoomies tried to steal Ralphie in '68(?.) The op was thwarted when the Runners found out about it and replaced a sedated, female Ralphie with a very "sober" male buffalo. Needless to say, the offending Zoomies got sent to the wild blue YONDER!

Anyway, there couldn't possibly be an issue with AFA academics and the facilities are ready to go (although Clune Arena may need a small expansion.) IMO, if Utah can't go, the Pac's back up should be AFA. They'd lock up the Colorado market along with some national appeal of AFA and the competitioin would be good for the state of Colorado.

Plus, being a squid I've already got a built-in "hatred" of those darn Zoomies!

Would UT have enough pull if it was the only Texass school in the Pac10? I dunno, the 3 cali schools (and oregon with the phil Knight $$) might be enough of a counterweight to keep the pac 10 from folding to UT.

I don't think it's just about money (which UT has more of than any of those schools, even Oregon). It's also about political backing within the university, state, and fanbase. I guarantee you UT has far more then Stanford, USC, UCLA, Cal, and Oregon. As well as the unanimous vote thing. I can guarantee Texas would vote "no" all by themselves if they had to until they could push through their agenda.

No one else from the Big 12 works for the Pac. Maybe UT is worth enough money that you try to make them fit, but as stated above, they'd be a conference killer.

The big thing to consider, imo, is that CU is the only school from the Big 12 that's in the mountain time zone. We're about as far east as you can go and still make conference tv scheduling work. The Pac needs to consider that and also consider what it means in terms of what the culture of the conference is going to be. One of the big reasons CU is interested is because we are culturally western and do not fit in with anyone in the Big 12. Other than UT in Austin, Boulder is the only city in the Big 12 anyone would consider visiting for a weekend if there wasn't a football game going on. The Pac is the exact opposite, with maybe 2 cities (Corvalis and Pullman) being places people wouldn't visit. But even those 2 places are near cities and/or outdoor activities versus the Big 12 locations, which are basically college campuses with a town that have been dropped within humongous corn fields.

If the Pac goes to 12, it should be CU and Utah.

If the Pac goes to 14, it should be CU, Utah, New Mexico and UNLV.

That would tie up every significant media market in the Mountain and Pacific time zones.

Not sure how well UNLV would work, I think the Pac-10 Presidents might nix that one...Although the Alberqerque market would be nice.. I know time zones would be a challenge, but you would think adding a larger brand/market team would off-set that.

Not sure how well UNLV would work, I think the Pac-10 Presidents might nix that one...Although the Alberqerque market would be nice.. I know time zones would be a challenge, but you would think adding a larger brand/market team would off-set that.

The time zone deal is already an issue -- half the year, at least. It wouldn't be that much worse with CU and Utah/UNM/whomever involved.

The Big Ten and SEC seem to do well in two time zones.

I'm not sure that the "national brand" thing really means much unless it's Notre Dame or a couple programs in the midst of a run like Florida State and Miami had starting in the mid 80s... and it becomes a rivalry game everyone watches. College sports is very regional.

I'm not sure that the "national brand" thing really means much unless it's Notre Dame or a couple programs in the midst of a run like Florida State and Miami had starting in the mid 80s... and it becomes a rivalry game everyone watches. College sports is very regional.

I would think Nebraska has a 'national' following? I know in the 80's and 90's they were kind of everywhere (like FSU)

I'm going to catch all kinds of hell for this, but in my perfect world, the school that goes with CU to the Pac 10 would be...

CSU. :ahhhhh:

Before you jump all over me, I fully understand the weaknesses CSU brings to the table. Frankly, they do little for the conference other than locking down the Denver TV market. From my own personal perspective, it would be convenient to have another Colorado state school in the mix of the Pac 12. Games against the goats would mean something for both schools, and college football in Colorado would really start to mean something again.

And I also know that it will never happen.

Yeah, yeah yeah... I know, **** me. Ok.

As for the OP, I would choose Oklahoma. We have a quasi-healthy love/hate relationship with them, they're a decent school in a town not too dissimilar to Boulder and would bring a healthy amount of TV sets from Oklahoma AND Dallas. Plus, they aren't a conference killer like UT is. In fact, I'd go so far as to say if UT ends up being the "other" team, I'd be dead set against the move.

Air Force?

Growing up on the Front Range, I've always said that everyone from Colorado should attend at least one AFA game. I've never been to any of the other service academies, so game atmospheres may be very similar at Annapolis and West Point, but it is an experience unlike any other west of the east coast. The live mascot is second to ONE (I think we all know who that is), but it is really cool when the falcon comes swoooping down over the crowd. Plus, the Cadets marching on to the field from the stands (basically a large chunk of the student section) after every score to do pushups, the scenery, the epic flyovers and the tailgating are all great.

In addition, if you're talking about other factors, it fits OK (better than some of the other schools being tossed around) in the P10. It's not especially a research institution, but the undergrad academics are very rigorous. Their are 27 varsity sports, same as Cal. They finished ahead of 6 BCS schools in football attendance last year, including WSU and Big East winning Cincinnatti, drawing about 35K per game. Utah , for instance, finished about 9K/game ahead of AFA, BUT Utah was at 102% attendance, whereas AFA (in a down year) was at about 70% attendance. the stadium can hold 52K. Lastly, the Colorado Springs market has no direct competition from any other D1 university (except CSU and CU, which arent especially close), 40% of the jobs in the city come from the Air Force, and a built in national following with all the other Air Force personnel. There are worse fits on that list than AFA.

I think I'd have a difficult time ginning up a healthy hatred for Air Force. These are guys who are going to be protecting our skies. I can't hate them. It's important for me to hate my opponent.

The guys above are right about Air Force; really great college gameday atmosphere. Hell getting in and out, though.

I'm going to catch all kinds of hell for this, but in my perfect world, the school that goes with CU to the Pac 10 would be...

CSU. :ahhhhh:

Before you jump all over me, I fully understand the weaknesses CSU brings to the table. Frankly, they do little for the conference other than locking down the Denver TV market. From my own personal perspective, it would be convenient to have another Colorado state school in the mix of the Pac 12. Games against the goats would mean something for both schools, and college football in Colorado would really start to mean something again.

And I also know that it will never happen.

I'd be ok with CSU. Thinking objectively about this for a minute: Just imagine if one year the CU/CSU game had the same implications as the UO/OSU game had last season(Rose Bowl to the winner). The game is the day/weekend after Thanksgiving, and is played @Invesco. That'd be pretty awesome in my book.

I'd be ok with CSU. Thinking objectively about this for a minute: Just imagine if one year the CU/CSU game had the same implications as the UO/OSU game had last season(Rose Bowl to the winner). The game is the day/weekend after Thanksgiving, and is played @Invesco. That'd be pretty awesome in my book.

My thoughts exactly. For the last 20 years, we've been playing CSU in a game that is meaningless to us, and means everything to them. I, for one, would be thrilled if the game meant something to us as well. The exposure would be terrific. I just wish CSU was in a position where they brought something more to the table. I don't think the folks at the Pac 10 are terribly interested in CSU's half-empty 30,000 seat stadium in the middle of nowhere.

The CSU talk is interesting.

Revise my earlier post:

If it's the Pac 12: CU and Utah.

North: CU, Utah, UW, WSU, OU, OSU
South: Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA, ASU, UofA

If it's the Pac 14: CU, CSU, Utah and New Mexico.

North: CSU
South: New Mexico

I am curious. What do people think that Texas has destroyed in the Big 12? I keep hearing this but I am wondering what are the facts to back this up?

The CSU talk is interesting.

Revise my earlier post:

If it's the Pac 12: CU and Utah.

North: CU, Utah, UW, WSU, OU, OSU
South: Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA, ASU, UofA

If it's the Pac 14: CU, CSU, Utah and New Mexico.

North: CSU
South: New Mexico

There is no way CSU goes to the pac 10. CSU is a garbage school.

Back