1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If a verbal commit is taking visits - is he a commit?

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Buffnik, Jul 11, 2015.

?

Would you honor a commit from someone who was taking visits?

1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

75.0%
  1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

We see a lot of guys "commit" each cycle because they really like a school, program & staff... but they want to still take more visits and leave their recruitment door open.

From the player's standpoint, reserving your spot as you explore other options is the best of both worlds.

But for the football program, there is a huge risk to consider the player a commit and to stop recruiting other guys for the position.

If you were a coach and a commit wanted to take other visits, would you allow him to do it while continuing to reserve the spot for him? Or, would you have a policy of if a guy takes other visits you no longer consider him a commit and will take a firm commit for his position (either from him or another guy - whoever pops first to fill that spot)?

2. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

I'd let them. The guys that stay are the guys you want in the program.

3. Jaximus

Jaximus Club Member Club Member

If my wife started dating other men after she accepted my proposal (she would have been smart), I would have asked for the ring back.

And that's just a marriage! Which is nothing compared to a verbal commit!

In conclusion, they can keep telling their friends they are committed to us, but I may just give my spot to someone more "dedicated".

4. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

If he is still taking other visits the program should let him know they have an obligation to continue to recruit for his spot and that until he is fully committed he may lose his spot. I think that is fair to both parties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  5. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

^^^
    Pretty much this.

I'd allow them to take other visits, with the stipulation that if they do, their spot is not guaranteed and could be taken by someone else. If they want to commit and not take other visits, then their spot IS guaranteed. In the end, you have to be confident in your ability as a coach to sell your vision, your program, your school - no matter who else is in the running. I think, in most cases, the coaches and the kid pretty much know where they want to go, and have some level of confidence in their decision.

6. Jaximus

Jaximus Club Member Club Member

So... Pretty much NOT what BP said? Haha

7. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

I think big time programs can do it with no problem but with building programs they have to be certain as they do not have as many avenues to find good players.

8. TDbuff

TDbuff Club Member Club Member

This. Big programs can get tough about it, when they say they're not holding a spot for a kid, they mean it, they can probably be replaced in most cases.

Regardless, where CU is, I'd just consider them a strong lean, with a lot of work left to do.

9. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

My answer would be no, if I was coaching. Outside looking in, I'd say take your visits and find what u want.

10. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Does it at least somewhat depend on the player?

For example, would you tell a guy like Kemp (blue chip & #1 prospect in the state) that there is a spot for him at CU regardless of how & when he arrives at that decision? You'd find room or make room anyway, so you'd honor a soft verbal?

11. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Is I'd say the same answer, but if you're in this conversation, it means there is more going on. Here you get a chance to reiterate your vision. "Come with us, Colorado pride, be a part of a transformation that no one else can offer in an environment of renewed commitment from the school initially manifested by the completion of world class facilities. It's bigger than all of us. C'mon, help us lead the way.

Or you can bang porkers in 100% humidity. (Using Wisconsin as an example)

12. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

You always make room for talent or game changers. In a case like Kemp you have to accept the worst (assume he isn't coming) and hope for the best (he commits and 4th year RS JR who has graduated already and never seen the field can move onto to better things or whatever you need to do without clipping another kid).

13. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Absolutely changes when a blue chip player is involved.

14. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

This.

What he is saying is that if he gets a better offer he is gone.

Fair response is if we get a better kid for the slot then we take him instead of you.

What this means is that the kid isn't really a commit since neither side has made a promise to each other, it is more like a strong lean, but if it makes both side feel better they can still call it a commit.

Exception might be if a kid says at the time of the commit that he has one more place to visit out of some obligation (he is a legacy there, parents insist that he go, etc.) and it is understood by both sides that after that visit then a the deal is closed. You only do this with a kid who is good enough to take the risk on.

15. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Hey! Wait a second here! This poll was a bait and switch!! I thought I answered "No" to "If a verbal commit is taking visits, is he a commit." Then I see the real question is "Would you honor a commit from someone still taking visits?"

16. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

If he's a player that can come in and be a difference maker from day one and throughout his college career, then I think you are pretty much at the mercy of the recruit. Even big time programs will have to allow them some leeway.

If not, whatever HC personal preference is fine by me. Just stick to it.

17. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

This is is my take as well.

18. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

If a kid makes a verbal commitment but wants to keep looking, I'd think the coaches would take the stance that his position is still open to other recruits. If the slot fills up, so be it. Now, if he is a 4/5, I'd think they'd figure out a way to get him in once he makes up his mind to come here.

19. BeBe

BeBe Club Member Club Member

:yeahthat:

20. hokiehead

hokiehead Gobbler on the Mountain Club Member

Lots of good comments here. Of course the answer involves a bit of "it depends" but in general I believe if a kid, verbally committed, continues taking OV's, it does not change their status from the schools POV. it should be a red flag -- coach should he all over, following up to get the "why".

I had a buddy cane from Lynchburg arsa, committed early to VT. Dude had never traveled much anywhere in his life at this point. A buddy of his was taking an OV to another school and the VT commit still had OV'S left -- he sW it as a way to travel and hang with his friend on the trip. He went, VT coaches contacted him the day he got back to get the story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

21. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

I would let them know how I wanted them on the team, "but" - I would explain to them how college football and the building of the team, is like a business. We have to keep on guys that want to come and play here.

22. Gary Indiana

Gary Indiana Club Member Club Member

It's simple, don't commit if you're not 100% certain.

23. TSchekler

TSchekler Darth's Hero Club Member

I'm always blown away by the kids who commit more than a few months prior to NSD. I remember being 17 years old and trying to make a decision of which college I should attend or if I should even attend (gave serious thought about the military); I can't imagine having 5-10 programs and multiple coaches in my ear selling themselves, and committing to a city, program and coach with such a long time until it's official.

24. pcbuff

pcbuff Well-Known Member

CU can't afford the luxury of hubris at this point in time. We need to land them and win! Then we can act like we belong.

25. bigbang2

bigbang2 Typical, brain knowledge or the ability to have a

Let the kid take visits. It is an important decision. It is not like the University is paying kids to play football.

26. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

I think I just figured out why we've been losing.