1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If Butch Jones does come to colorado what would be

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by boydbuff, Dec 3, 2012.

1. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

his key staff? Given his current DC, Stripling, http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/stripling_steve00.html was also with him at CMU and is a Colorado Alum I bet he brings him as DC or another role. I think the big challenge is getting some people on staff who are not only good with Xs/Os but also great recruiters with experience in the Pac 12.

Since he is a strong offensive mind, maybe a strong recruiting OC or position coach from Pac 12 would be good. Might be worried about his DC if it is Stripling b-c lack of experience in Pac 12, although he spent a lot of years in top Big 10 schools including Michigan and Michigan State

2. BartonBuff

BartonBuff New Member

I do agree my main worry with Jones s what his staff looks like if he does indeed come here. Need some PAC-12 blood on staff for recruiting purposes.

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

First step is to keep Tui and Kennedy. This would go a long way for recruiting continuity and keep CU well-positioned to recruit Texas and Pacific Islanders. That's key for the program. Something we never did with the last staff is hire a recruiting ace for CA or for AZ. That needs to happen with Jones' staff.

4. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

any chance Kanavis stays onboard ?

5. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

If you want to recruit AZ, two names to keep in mind:
    Chris Klenakis
    Tim Kish

If you want to recruit California, some names to keep in mind:
    Tony White (San Diego State)
    Keith Heyward (Washington)
    Jamie Christian (Houston)
    Brent Brennan (Oregon State)
    Paul Wulff (49ers)

6. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

There's always chances. I think Jones brings just about everyone with him. Cincy's success has come from hiring mid-major guys that were head coaches (D'Antonio, Kelly, Jones). There's a chance that Jones would bring EVERY guy with him, unless he has 1-2 he isn't happy with. Frankly, that would work for me. Certainly the DL coach has done a monster job there for the Bearcats.

7. Buffnik

I think it would be hard to keep both Tui and Kanavis since they coach the same position. That never really made sense when Embree set it up that way. Reed talked about this a bit in chat last night and I agree with him.

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

I think you ask Butch, "who do you want, and what can we do to help get those guys here?" He's going to succeed or fail, in part due to the staff he selects, so let's get him the guys he needs to succeed. If they are guys from Cincy, great. If they are guys from outside, great. He knows that our focus is CA, TX and CO. He'll have a plan to address those I'm sure.

9. Buffnik

Stripling might get promoted to HC there. Of course, Stripling is also a CU grad and former player who started his coaching career as a GA here. Not only did he play for Mallory, he coached for him here and followed him to Indiana. This might also be a factor in Butch Jones' interest in the CU job.

10. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Kanavis may be moving to the recruiting coordinator role per 247. We could keep both, but it sounds like Kanavis is the most likely.

11. Jaximus

Jaximus Club Member Club Member

Kanavis staying will likely mean we keep Jagne, Loud and Gilbert. I'd like to see him retained for those three players. BUT I'll leave that decision to a new coach. He may decide making a clean break from any attachment to 2012 is a good idea, which it probably is.

12. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Wasn't Bieniemy supposed to be our ace recruiter in California...that went well.

13. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

Results on the field and responsibilities as a coordinator had something to do with that. Your OC or DC needs a stud recruiter under them and they can close with the HC.

14. boydbuff

Do people feel that given his lack of Pac 12 experience that both coordinators would have to have Pac 12 experience? If so that would rule out his DC who played at CU.

15. Buffnik

I don't think conference ties for the coordinators is that big of a deal except that it might shorten the learning curve. But if our guys are familiar with the conference schemes, the conference is familiar with them too. It's a wash, imo.

16. boydbuff

I think that makes sense for Xs and Os but I am concerned as many others are, about recruiting. Hard to imagine CU successful without a major emphasis on Cali, TX, AZ

So do the coordinators have to have that background if the HC doesn´t or can we rely exclusively on assistants early on who have those connections? If neither the HC, nor the coordinators have any or much Pac 12 experience or at least recruiting relationships in the Pac 12 footprint, than we might want to hold on to a bunch of our assistants.

17. bigskysooner

bigskysooner New Member

Cincy pulled a good recruit out of Utah - Dakota Cox.

CU would be in good fit for Andy Ludwig who has OC'd at Oregon, Cal, and Utah (now at SDSU).

18. Buffnik

I worry more about position coaches with recruiting. Coordinators aren't usually your main on-the-road recruiters. For example, I always thought that EB was spread too thin with what he was asked to do. On the other side, I think Hawk went too far the other way by not asking his OC and DC to recruit at all.

19. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

I wonder what Big Mac's early coaching staffs were like at CU.

20. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Does Bohn GUARANTEE Jones a full 5 years? I ask because his coaching staff will be under the stupid 1 year contract thing.

21. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

hopefully that is one of "those things" our administration is working on correcting going forward? At least get them 2 year deals

22. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

Bring his DC and Dline coach, move Khanavis to recruiting coordinator keep Tui to coach Dends (recruit)??

23. fatbuff

fatbuff Well-Known Member

Loaded: Lou Tepper, Jim Caldwell, Gary Barnett, Gary DiNardo, Steve Logan, Mike Hankwitz, Les Miles, Ron Vanderlinden.

24. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

Cannot be changed by the admin, the limited contract thing is State law, and the legislature tinkered with it already this past year, so they're very unlikely to want to change it again anytime soon. Don't like it? Contact your state rep. & senator - CU's hands are tied.

25. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

That is why I think we need to pay them more than market value. Less job security.

26. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

:wow: That's a coaching tree. Damn.

27. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

There is a tight end in colorado I am more concerned about him recruiting.

28. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Good coaches can coach in any conference. We would need some position coaches with West Coast ties for recruiting.

29. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Our primary recruiting zones better include Arizona this time.

30. o_robbie

o_robbie I don't think before I post

Bottom line: If we win the kids will come.

Embree has provided a nice baseline of talented players at some key positions. OL is still questionable as is LB'rs but on paper the DB's look good. The RB's are versatile and we have a pile of QB's for Jones to figure out who to play and how to play them. The DL recruiting last year was really impressive and when those guys are JR's/SR's we are going to be way better at the stopping the run.

We still need more depth and speed but even that will look way different next year with P.Rich back in the fold and with all the 3 star WR's who should be on campus next season.

I expect Jones to win a minimum of 3 games and he really should get us to 5 in Year 1. Of course if the QB play is anything like this year 3 is probably more like it.