What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If UNLV gets its football stadium, should the Pac-12 add them?

Should the Pac add UNLV if it gets its stadium built?

• Total voters
UNM a sleeping giant... that's pretty funny.
Yeah, every time these guys get on this kick, it makes me smile. I really think Laramie is an untapped oasis. And I've never had a gun pulled on me there for being white like I have within a block of the U N M campus. The only place the press hates more than UNM is Afghanistan.

Yeah, every time these guys get on this kick, it makes me smile. I really think Laramie is an untapped oasis. And I've never had a gun pulled on me there for being white like I have within a block of the U N M campus. The only place the press hates more than UNM is Afghanistan.
That has a tendency to happen in Burque. Some places there that you don't go.

UNLV is second rate and won't get to Tier one status in next ten years. They have been on that push through 5 presidents and 6 provosts. Ain't gonna happen.

Don't count on that stadium ever being built. Steve Wynn isn't behind it. The 51s are gonna build a new stadium in Summerln and Raiders will renovate Cashman field. However, I would be surprised if the Raiders even move there.

Here's why I believe UNM is a sleeping giant: they are the state flagship school located in the largest city in a growing state. Geographically, ABQ sits at the intersection of two major interstate highways. There are no major professional franchises in New Mexico. UNM is the only game in town. It has a lot going for it, but it's all potential right now.

Everything about UNM is based on potential. Currently, they wouldn't make a solid addition to the conference. I totally understand that.

None of these schools are going to get added to the PAC. None. They are culturally different, academically lacking, and athletically light weights with the exception of the Lobos basketball program. Las Vegas does not share any of the broad and noble western ideals as its neighbors. It's instead a short sited, money grubbing, gambling and morally suspect intersection of corruption and debacahry. Albuquerque is quaint. If UNM were in Santa Fe I might be inclined to say different. But it's not.

Iowa State would be better choice.

The only sensible scenario that really moves the needle brings Some combination of Oklahoma and the Texas schools.

Here's why I believe UNM is a sleeping giant: they are the state flagship school located in the largest city in a growing state. Geographically, ABQ sits at the intersection of two major interstate highways. There are no major professional franchises in New Mexico. UNM is the only game in town. It has a lot going for it, but it's all potential right now.
NM is not really a growing state. There's a significant issue that the younger population in the state contracting. You, personally, have described Albuquerque as a dump (or a pit or whatever).

The idea that the Pac12 ADs would allow UNM in is far fetched. The idea that the Pac12 presidents would allow them in is completely laughable.

Note - I am likely the biggest Lobo fan on this website.

NM is not really a growing state. There's a significant issue that the younger population in the state contracting. You, personally, have described Albuquerque as a dump (or a pit or whatever).

The idea that the Pac12 ADs would allow UNM in is far fetched. The idea that the Pac12 presidents would allow them in is completely laughable.

Need to see what happens with their economy. If nothing changes, they won't be coming into the Pac-12. But if some things break the right way (like SpaceX taking off and Spaceport America becoming a booming thing instead of the current ghost town), the influx of manufacturing and tech jobs could be crazy. It's also got a great climate to be a snowbird destination. Probably the biggest challenge is with the language barrier with so many people who don't speak English well. That has challenged their public education system, but should start to turn a corner as that stabilizes. The state has to move beyond mineral wealth and government jobs, though.

But, man, situated between 3 of the nation's largest growth states (AZ to the west, CO to the north, TX to the east) and with so much natural beauty in a desirable climate, it almost doesn't seem possible that New Mexico wouldn't boom at some point.

Need to see what happens with their economy. If nothing changes, they won't be coming into the Pac-12. But if some things break the right way (like SpaceX taking off and Spaceport America becoming a booming thing instead of the current ghost town), the influx of manufacturing and tech jobs could be crazy. It's also got a great climate to be a snowbird destination. Probably the biggest challenge is with the language barrier with so many people who don't speak English well. That has challenged their public education system, but should start to turn a corner as that stabilizes. The state has to move beyond mineral wealth and government jobs, though.

But, man, situated between 3 of the nation's largest growth states (AZ to the west, CO to the north, TX to the east) and with so much natural beauty in a desirable climate, it almost doesn't seem possible that New Mexico wouldn't boom at some point.
If we're talking about additions to the Pac12 in 2050, then I may accept that there's an outside chance that NM could get their **** together.

Perhaps given how dedicated their fans are in hoops a Pac12 football program would bring solid 45k attendance. I have my fears of a 25k dud Temple-style at Lincoln Financial. I like winnable conference games though.

Sack man is simply stoooopid to think UNM is a PAC addition. Anyone who thinks UNLV would be a good addition simply has no clue.

Sack man is simply stoooopid to think UNM is a PAC addition. Anyone who thinks UNLV would be a good addition simply has no clue.

You are 100% correct today.

I don't think anything happens before 2025 due to the Big 12 media deal.

A lot can happen over 9 years. If I look at what happened in Arizona, there's the potential that Nevada or New Mexico could add 1 million people in that period of time. Football programs rise. Or not and the picture looks the same as it does today.

Jesus wept.

Are you folks brain damaged or something? I said UNM has potential. I said it more than once. I also acknowledged that in its current state it isn't ready to be included in the PAC 12. And yes, ABQ is a dump. I hate the place. That doesn't contradict my previous statements.

I suppose I'm as guilty of it as anybody, but man it seems folks take any opportunity to argue the most mundane of points around here.

Personally I think the only way UNM, UNLV, Boise St. are invited to the Pac1? is if all the other conferences expand to 16 and then TV rights are bargained as a whole between all the conferences to rid of the differences between conferences. Then, the power conferences tell the Pac they have to add 4 teams but the payout will be the same for all teams in all conferences.

Um, water? They dont have any. See Lake Mead for an explanation.

You are 100% correct today.

I don't think anything happens before 2025 due to the Big 12 media deal.

A lot can happen over 9 years. If I look at what happened in Arizona, there's the potential that Nevada or New Mexico could add 1 million people in that period of time. Football programs rise. Or not and the picture looks the same as it does today.

The Big XII will get torn in half long before 2025 rolls around. By then the 4 16 team conferences will be very established.

Jesus wept.

Are you folks brain damaged or something? I said UNM has potential. I said it more than once. I also acknowledged that in its current state it isn't ready to be included in the PAC 12. And yes, ABQ is a dump. I hate the place. That doesn't contradict my previous statements.

I suppose I'm as guilty of it as anybody, but man it seems folks take any opportunity to argue the most mundane of points around here.
You said they were a sleeping giant. Which I still find kind of funny.

It's interesting that you feel compelled to keep coming back to defend your point and furthering the argument but at least you admit that you are as guilty as anyone.

Vegas is too sleezy. Also, they would not fit academically although that doesn't seem to be a problem for our friends in Arizona.

Vegas is too sleezy. Also, they would not fit academically although that doesn't seem to be a problem for our friends in Arizona.
I have not bothered to do any research on this but some of the local radio guys claimed that Oregon is actually the weakest academic school in the Pac12. These guys are not homers (obviously) but they are also not the kind of guys who make wild statements to get a reaction.

I have not bothered to do any research on this but some of the local radio guys claimed that Oregon is actually the weakest academic school in the Pac12. These guys are not homers (obviously) but they are also not the kind of guys who make wild statements to get a reaction.
Hmm. Interesting. I know that there is some sort of academic organization that the Pac schools are members of. I wonder if UNLV is? I actually took classes at UNLV back in the day. I remember very little about it, haha.

Is expansion all about the markets and teams at this point in time, or is it about long term outlook? If you are only basing whether you take UNVL on the current set up then you say 'no'. If your focus is long term, then I think they have to be considered. As the third fastest growing state (last report I saw) you would say by 2025 the Nevada (Vegas) TV market would be significant and you would want to make sure you grabbed it. With that, you would want to make sure you get the correct team (I have no idea if Nevada-Reno is more popular than Nevada-Las Vegas).

In terms of weather, recruits are willing to go to Phoenix and Tuscon, I don't think they will care about the Vegas weather. From a opposing fan stand point, conference play wouldn't kick in until late September/ early October, which will be much better.

If you want to motivate UNLV to getting academics up then you say they get a 3/4 share until they get the school to the proper level. I bet they would take that in a heartbeat. and would help them to get the research up and running faster. Then the snobby schools could just be happy they are getting more money until they consider UNLV to be more on par with them.

As a basketball fan, it bothers me that 3 largest college basketball arenas in the west are not Pac-12 programs. BYU, UNLV and New Mexico.

I had no idea how terrible UNLV was before I looked it up. They've had 2 winning seasons since 1999 when they joined the MWC, that obviously won't cut it for the Pac. Too bad we never schedule these guys though, I'd like to see them for football and basketball.

Back