1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If we could correct one thing, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by sackman, Oct 9, 2009.

?

What is the biggest reason we suck so bad?

1. Run Defense

9.1%
  2. Pass Defense

22.7%
  3. Running Game

4.5%
  4. Quarterback Play

60.6%
  5. WR production

3.0%
  1. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Our run defense? Our pass defense? Quarterback play? Running game? Receivers?

Right now, all of those things are combining to make this team a loser. It's obviously a lot more than a couple "little things". But if which of these things has contributed most to the pathetic performance thus far in 2009?

2. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

running game because we dunno how to use it

3. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

ATTITUDE

Dan's ho-hum approach has made cu soft.

4. LaserDeathHawk

LaserDeathHawk Club Member Club Member

none of the above comes first. Starts with the coach

5. Chilly

Chilly Well-Known Member

None of the above. Pass Rush would be my pick

6. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Alright, let me re-phrase: You can correct one thing with the team. The coaching is going to stay the same regardless, but you get to make one on-field thing better. What is it going to be?

7. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Out of those options, the QB play. I feel like we're looking at a maximum of 4 wins this season. With a better QB, I could realistically see 2-3 more wins with everything else being equal.

8. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

I said pass D simply because we seem to think we can run the corner blitz and have been burned big by it.

Please remove this from the playbook!

Guess in general, I want the big pass plays to stop (I acknowledge we have also let many run plays go as well but have to start somewhere). Am concerned about it even more that we will be facing good quarterbacks from here on out. These quarterbacks won't miss these like the others have.

9. Buff fanatic

Buff fanatic Well-Known Member

I voted pass defense. I know i'm a Cody homer, or perceived as that even though I'd like to have a better quarterback on the roster, but I think a huge part of our problems thus far has been giving up the big play. CSU and Toledo we couldnt stick to our offense (****ty as it is) because we were down so big. West VA was a little better, but, they GAVE us a lot of gifts and made our D look better. Lots of things to fix. Ugh.

10. Dunken

Dunken Member

went with the QB play.....have never questioned Cody heart and determination, but 3yrs now and no improvement at the QB position. Time for change, see what happens.....

11. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

Fix the O and D lines, that's where it all starts and where it all fails for Colorado.

12. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Our record.

13. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

The quality of our internet scum...

14. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

the one thing i would correct is the lack of beer sales at folsom. they ought to set up a free keg on every row.

that's the only way this team is going to be watchable and attendance will not suffer.

it worked during the fairbanks era, to an extent.:smile2:

15. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

I think I would like to see better run defense from our secondary. I feel like secondary guys being out of position has been the main culprit for nearly every big play this season, but especially the huge "gashers" we've been so killed by. Both of Devine's big runs came from one guy being out of position and missing a key tackle. Toledo's big runs, similar story. I think the D has made a lot of big strides and are playing much better, but we still give up these huge plays.

As much as people have criticized the play calling on offense and how many times we're throwing the ball, a lot of those passes have come after the team gets down because of the huge homerun running plays we give up on the otherside of the ball. Not saying the O has been awesome, but if our D can keep guys in front of them and keep the score closer, maybe we can then have a little bit more time to try and run the ball on O. Maybe that's a dream, but it's the little thing that I think could fix multiple problems.

16. Dunken

Dunken Member

I am changing my answer to this...more beer:thumbsup:

17. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

when your defense can't stop the run it opens up the passing game-
    when the defense can't stop the offense then your offense is always playing catch up-

look at last year's Bronco team- crap run defense opened up passing against Denver- Cutler was always trying to sling the ball downfield to catch up/keep up with the opposing team- it backfired

now this year the Denver defense is stoudt against the run forcing teams into 3rd and long where the Broncos are ready to defend- this has kept Denver in games where Orton is not under pressure to be the main hero-

it all starts at RUN DEFENSE -

18. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

The running game. Do that and you fix several things at once.

If we have a decent running game then Cody doesn't have to throw as much and when he does will be easier to make the throws because the D will be crowding the box to stop the run. This also provides the added benefit of helping our slow WR's actually get open because there will be more free space for them to work in. Additionally, a good running game will help our Defense by giving them more time to rest, keeping the ball out of the other team's hands longer and shortening the overall game. And finally, there's nothing like a great pounding running game to break the spirit of your opponent so if CU could consistently pound the ball at home and away we would have a huge psychological advantage over every team we play.

I really think Cody could be servicable if the running game carried the O.

I also have more confidence that the D will get better as the season progresses. I have none for the O.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  19. CUJim

CUJim New Member

They all need to improve but I think QB is the most glaring. Cody has missed some receivers and he seems to lock in on his targets, and I don't know if it is just me, but he also seems to throw to his right side most of time. I don't know if that's true but it sure seems that way. I know he is also taking a beating but until he completes some passes down field he isn't going to get those safeties and LB's out of the box.

20. 87toInfinity

87toInfinity Well-Known Member

Our record.

21. ThndringHerd

ThndringHerd Well-Known Member

:iagree:

The part in bold, anyways. Weakest link overall is the safeties. Hardest position to play on D, and good ones are hard to find/develop. Poor recruiting starting to show on the field.

Seems like coaching decisions (personnel decisions, blocking schemes, gameplan, playcalling) are the biggest issue with the offense. I was willing to chalk part of it up to playing from behind all the time. After the last game, that excuse is gone, too. Competitive game and Speedy was running well, but Dan/Kiesau still put it in the air 28 times in the 1st half. That's not coaching to win. That's not even coaching not to lose. That's just asking for it. Think the only way any of this gets fixed is an upgrade at the HC position.

22. MSBuff

MSBuff Well-Known Member

Voted but wanted a different choice.

23. Swish

Swish Half a bubble off Club Member

Yeah, why is it we were limited to one thing?? :smile2:

24. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Snark. Bitch. Whine.
    - Negative Nancy

My vote is a mix between QB play and WR production. I'd like to see a fix to the problem of not having a kind of deep threat. Fix the long ball, both the pitch and catch.