What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If we get that coveted 6th win......

If it comes down to Colorado and Kansas State, the Buffs would have to hope KSU loses to North Texas (ain't likely to happen). If Kansas State defeats the Mean Green, they would have seven wins, and bowls can't take a 6-6 team if a 7-5 team is available.

Colorado's best bet would be ... ironically enough ... a leftover Pac-10 bowl slot.

Are you saying that's a hard rule or that a bowl simply wouldn't take a 6-6 team over a 7-5 team from the same conference just because it wouldn't look right? Because if it's a hard rule, then that means our chances of going to the Pinstripe Bowl are pretty much dead. :huh:

Are you saying that's a hard rule or that a bowl simply wouldn't take a 6-6 team over a 7-5 team from the same conference just because it wouldn't look right? Because if it's a hard rule, then that means our chances of going to the Pinstripe Bowl are pretty much dead. :huh:

I believe that is a hard rule. A 6-6 team cannot be chosen for a bowl over a 7-5 team. Seven wins guarantees a bowl; six wins only makes you "bowl-eligible" ...

I believe that is a hard rule. A 6-6 team cannot be chosen for a bowl over a 7-5 team. Seven wins guarantees a bowl; six wins only makes you "bowl-eligible" ...

OK, so the next question would be does the Pinstripe Bowl have to take KSU or can they choose CU instead if KSU ends up going to another bowl? Although I would think all the Big 12 slots would have to be filled first before a Big 12 team can be selected for another bowl, so that would mean that the Pinstripe wouldn't have a choice but to take KjSU.

OK, so the next question would be does the Pinstripe Bowl have to take KSU or can they choose CU instead if KSU ends up going to another bowl? Although I would think all the Big 12 slots would have to be filled first before a Big 12 team can be selected for another bowl, so that would mean that the Pinstripe wouldn't have a choice but to take KjSU.

It's my understanding that if the picks got down to the Pinstripe Bowl, and there is only a 7-5 Kansas State and 6-6 Colorado left, the Bowl would be required to take the Wildcats, and the Buffs would have to look elsewhere. If all of the 7-5 teams are taken, the Bowl can look to the 6-6 teams, and choose Colorado (unless, of course, Texas upsets Texas A&M and finishes 6-6. The Longhorns in NYC - a no-brainer for the Pinstripers).

My buddy was saying that they had so many bowls that 5 - 7 teams might get invited... true?

Montana,

I think you're ignoring the part about the wins being against FBS teams. You need 6 wins (1 of which can be against an FCS team). But I have trouble believing that a Kansas State team with 7 wins (1 against an FCS opponent) is bowl automatic while a Colorado team with 6 wins against BCS competition and a head-to-head win against KSU is looked at as being a cut below. It doesn't make sense.

Nik, isn't there some obscure rule that a team can count a win against an FCS team towards bowl eligibility, but not in consecutive years?

Nik, isn't there some obscure rule that a team can count a win against an FCS team towards bowl eligibility, but not in consecutive years?

It used to be that a team could only count an FCS win towards bowl eligibility once every other year. That particular rule was eliminated in an effort to channel more money to the FCS schools and to help conferences like the Sun Belt and the WAC maintain enough eligible teams to fill their bowl slots.

I don't know if their is a limit of one FCS win a year counting towards eligibility.

It used to be that a team could only count an FCS win towards bowl eligibility once every other year. That particular rule was eliminated in an effort to channel more money to the FCS schools and to help conferences like the Sun Belt and the WAC maintain enough eligible teams to fill their bowl slots.

I don't know if their is a limit of one FCS win a year counting towards eligibility.

Yes, a school can only count one win per year vs. a I-AA school towards bowl eligibility...if a school has scheduled 2 I-AA teams and beats em both, they then need 7 wins to become bowl eligilble since one of them doesnt count...

Montana,

I think you're ignoring the part about the wins being against FBS teams. You need 6 wins (1 of which can be against an FCS team). But I have trouble believing that a Kansas State team with 7 wins (1 against an FCS opponent) is bowl automatic while a Colorado team with 6 wins against BCS competition and a head-to-head win against KSU is looked at as being a cut below. It doesn't make sense.

That's kind of what I was thinking too, Nik. :huh:

Yes, a school can only count one win per year vs. a I-AA school towards bowl eligibility...if a school has scheduled 2 I-AA teams and beats em both, they then need 7 wins to become bowl eligilble since one of them doesnt count...

That's correct. Syracuse needed 7 wins this year to become bowl-eligible because they played 2 I-AA teams.

Montana,

It may not make sense, but it's the rule -

NCAA Manual, 30.9 Postseason Bowl Licensing; 30.9.2.1 - Exception - 12-Game season.

"An institution with a record of six wins and six losses may be selected for participation in a bowl game under the following circumstances:

(a) The institution or its conference has a primary contractual affiliation, which existed prior to the first contest of the applicable season, with the sponsoring bowl organization. In the case of a conference contractual affiliation, all conference teams with winning records must be placed in one of the contracted bowl games before any institution with a record of six wins and six losses may be placed in a contracted bowl game. There can be no contingency agreements with other sponsoring bowl organizations intended to enable an institution with a record of six wins and six losses to become eligible for those contests ..."

You can argue the logic, but a 7-win KSU gets the bowl bid ahead of a 6-win CU. It doesn't matter that one of the KSU wins was over a 1-AA team (Missouri State). Seven wins are seven wins in the eyes of the NCAA.

(BTW. I concur that if there are two wins against 1-AA teams, only one counts. Arizona State is another team which is out of the mix. The Sun Devils are 4-6, but have two wins over Big Sky Conference teams, and so can't go bowling even if they win out).

Last edited:
Back