What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If we have so little talent...

I don't think he's our best defensive player, at least not this year. The kid was an All American last year, he can play ball.

Freshman all American, but fine he's good when healthy and at the proper weight,but when you recruit undersized guys this is what can happen.

You can't limit talent to just a select few starters and expect success.

Last edited:

There are a number of guys who could have big seasons in 2015 on defense. In terms of the talent to do it, I'd say Chido, Gillam, Tedric, KC, Tupou, McCartney, Bell and KO.

Whether any of them do or not is the question. Right now, I'd say that none of them go into 2015 on any preseason lists and that is absolutely fair.

I am so sick and tired of losing and hell if I know what will happen next year. I see glimmers of hope but I'm tired of glimmers. I'm tired of hoping.

Freshman all American, but fine he's good when healthy and at the proper weight,but when you recruit undersized guys this is what can happen.

You can limit talent to just a select few starters and expect success.
I fully understand the risk of signing undersized players, but I wouldn't really say Gillam was undersized at the start of fall camp. He was listed at 6'3" 225, and in the spread it out Pac 12 and the speed in this conference, and while also not big, is not what I would consider undersized. Gillam after Fall camp and beyond was undersized.

And I unfortunately have to say Gillam is a giant question mark right now. Not sure you can count on him to be the anchor of the defense.

And I unfortunately have to say Gillam is a giant question mark right now. Not sure you can count on him to be the anchor of the defense.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about his concussions going forward

I fully understand the risk of signing undersized players, but I wouldn't really say Gillam was undersized at the start of fall camp. He was listed at 6'3" 225, and in the spread it out Pac 12 and the speed in this conference, and while also not big, is not what I would consider undersized. Gillam after Fall camp and beyond was undersized.

And a 200lb, beaten up, concussed, slowed down Gillam still had to start at MLB for this team even when it was clear he was barely effective because we lacked what? Talent.

Sometimes I think you just like to argue, I have no idea why else you would start a thread like this hours after that abomination of a season.

Yep. Either this year was an anomaly or it was a trend. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

And a 200lb, beaten up, concussed, slowed down Gillam still had to start at MLB for this team even when it was clear he was barely effective because we lacked what? Talent.

Sometimes I think you just like to argue, I have no idea why else you would start a thread like this hours after that abomination of a season.
We lack talent at MLB yes, and of course in other areas, but the team as Nik said has mediocre talent. SD posted this one Rivals...

Or could we have gone 7-5 this year b/c of the staff? That is the question I have been struggling with all season. I think the staff and culture change got us in position to go 7-5 and think it was the staff, depth and youth that got us to 2-10.

Next year they have to turn these losses into wins.Or could we have gone 7-5 this year b/c of the staff? That is the question I have been struggling with all season. I think the staff and culture change got us in position to go 7-5 and think it was the staff, depth and youth that got us to 2-10.

Next year they have to turn these losses into wins.

Seems fair to me.

Last edited:
Who is MLB if Gillam goes down? None of the 7 other LB's we recruited are any good (yet, I suppose)

We lack talent at MLB yes, and of course in other areas, but the team as Nik said has mediocre talent. SD posted this one Rivals...

Seems fair to me.

With all due respect to SD, a discussion about how we could have gone 7-5 is laughable and brings back memories of when we were "just 10 plays away from being undefeated".

Here is what I saw today. In the first half Utah went some thing like 3 for 9 on 3rd downs because we were attacking on defense. We get burned once and we quit attacking. Utah ends the game 10 of 18 on 3rd down which completely flipped the game. Utah averaged something like 165 yards per game passing and ends up with over 300 yards against CU. Talk about talent all you want. Half time adjustments favored Utah - that is coaching. Utah had a TOP advantage in the second half that was ridiculous - we could not get them off the field and they have the worst offense in the PAC.

At some point in time the coaches have to be accountable - 2012 is not the standard to be measured against. MacIntyre has showed me very little. Going 2-10 and winless in conference is unacceptable.

Mac2 is a really good coach, but the talent isn't there. The team has to play mistake-free football to win a P12 game because of the talent gap, and it's hard to play mistake-free football for an entire game. Answer.

That excuse quit holding water as soon as we took UCLA to overtime. Try again.

So glad we are recruiting 187 players on the DL and LB position. Then we can bitch about our lack of good X (where X is RB, WR, TE, OL, etc..). Awful recruiting.

Sorry guys, but some talent can be developed. Some talent cannot. You can get guys in the weight room at OL and give teach them technique. Same with other positions.

You can't coach speed. If you don't have it you never will. If you are decently fast you can lose it when getting up to playing weight in Pac12.

Our guys are slow and/or small, except at a few positions. We aren't going to take a TE that runs a 5.0 40 and turn him into a good Pac12 player. If you don't have speed at DL (esp DE) then it doesn't mean chit.

Wilson outran our DEs on a few occasions. That's EMBARASSING. He's as slow as Peyton, but nowhere the the passing threat.

lets just all agree we have a long way to go! the o was competitive all year but faded in crunch time, the d when not playing aggressive stunk, the special teams other than oliver were horrible, and the coaching staff was well organized and kept us in many games but for whatever reason when a game was on the line just took a knee

So glad we are recruiting 187 players on the DL and LB position. Then we can bitch about our lack of good X (where X is RB, WR, TE, OL, etc..). Awful recruiting.

Sorry guys, but some talent can be developed. Some talent cannot. You can get guys in the weight room at OL and give teach them technique. Same with other positions.

You can't coach speed. If you don't have it you never will. If you are decently fast you can lose it when getting up to playing weight in Pac12.

Our guys are slow and/or small, except at a few positions. We aren't going to take a TE that runs a 5.0 40 and turn him into a good Pac12 player. If you don't have speed at DL (esp DE) then it doesn't mean chit.

Wilson outran our DEs on a few occasions. That's EMBARASSING. He's as slow as Peyton, but nowhere the the passing threat.

1. You pretty much explained the opposite of MacIntyre's recruiting scheme
2. Wilson is a athletic QB. That play was ugly as hell but Wilson isn't a statue.

We can all argue whether we're better, or improving, or whatever. Some say yes, some will say no. The POINT IS are we going to RECRUIT, COACH, and PLAY better enough to beat the teams on our schedule and catch the teams ahead of us in our conference? The answer is strongly pointing to no. I challenge you all to look at next year's schedule and show me where the wins will come from. I see 2-3 games that we could definitely win. The rest will VERY difficult. That's the truth and it fuels the fear around here that we're in another 4-5 year dismal cycle. Pump the sunshine all you want, but if you look objectively at the college football landscape we (CU) live in you'll see despite the expected improvements it still might not be enough.

Last edited:
So we all agree the front seven is not that talented?
I think we have some serviceable players on the dline who can make an occasional play. You have to look no further than the linebacker core to see why the secondary was in disarray by injuries. Our safeties were playing as linebackers because we didn't have anyone who could shed a block or find the proper hole. Linebackers and the Dline have to absolutely get fixed for this team to take any step forward.

Last edited:
This all is true, but the reason we were in the UCLA, Arizona, and Utah game is partially because they overlooked us and gave some 'C' grade effort.
this. certainly a factor, not the only one.

The "overlooked us" thing doesn't hold much water with me. It's not like those same teams circled the CU game in previous years... and we got blown out. Buffs got a lot better this year. It didn't show in the win column, but this team showed that the Buffs are able to compete.

The "overlooked us" thing doesn't hold much water with me. It's not like those same teams circled the CU game in previous years... and we got blown out. Buffs got a lot better this year. It didn't show in the win column, but this team showed that the Buffs are able to compete.
Thats fine for a beauty pageant. We would get best personality trophy. The last trophy we have is Marcus Houston's tinfoil Heisman.

Back