What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If we were to land 1 5* player this year

I think the only right answer to this question is QB. CU has very average/mediocre QB's and has since Kordell.

Some of those lists of names you are throwing out are very cherry-picked to prove a point and do not include everyone.

For example, why are you only looking at pro-style? Why only since 2002? Does winning a national championship with a dual-threat QB - hello, Vince Young - make that title not mean as much to the fans of a program? Has the college football game changed dramatically since 2002? I don't think so, really.

The simple fact is, if you look at the QB's who have played for the NC since the BCS was implemented, the vast majority of them were 4 star or 5 star.

I know its tempting for some to say that star rating for QBs don't mean anything simply because CU hasn't gotten and isn't likely to get any highly rated QB's, but your logic is simply not legitimate on this one.

More stars DOES equal more success.

Just quickly glancing through scout - easier to browse database - here are the QB's your list omitted that were 4 or 5 star and have had great success:

Vince Young - 5 star 2002
Troy Smith - 4 star 2002
John David Booty - 5 star 2003
Chris Leak - 5 star 2003
JaMarcus Russell - 5 star 2003
Brian Brohm - 4 star 2004
Graham Harrell - 4 star 2004
Mark Sanchez - 5 star 2005
Colt McCoy - 4 star 2005
Colt Brennan - 4 star 2005
Tim Tebow - 5 star 2006
Jevan Snead - 4 star 2006
Josh Freeman - 4 star 2006
Sam Bradford - 4 star 2006
2007 - not a good year for 4/5 star QB's to have been successful... yet
2008 - too early to judge

That is an abbreviated list only looking at scout's 4/5 stars that have been highly successful since 2002. There are many more not on this list who could be argued to have had very good college careers and several who went on to get drafted.

This notion that 4 or 5 star QB's don't pan out is simply not an accurate assertion and I don't really know where it comes from.

Why do I think CU needs a 5 star QB more than anything else?

Go look at passing stats in the Big 12 last year. Guess where CU comes in on passer rating and yards per game?

12. In both. We had the worst passing game in the conference last year. That is simply not going to get it done.

Last edited:
Back