What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I'll believe it when I see it

That is not the way this team is built. Just because we have a good rb stable doesn't turn Hawkins into a run first guy.

maybe he uses the run to open a weaker passing game instead of the other way around. Maybe its a conspiracy to mislead the competition. :lol:

u actually lost a game? Bro im 46-0 and 3 time defending National Champion, gotta step up man. Yes, that is against Heisman level by the way. D Scott won two Heismans in a row on my squad. U have xbox or ps3? we should play sometime.

slim ps3.. Just got it on Sunday.. Lost to Kansas and Texas.. Couldn't do much offensively vs Texas and I couldnt' stop Reesing in the Kansas game.. He passed it all over me..

And I'm still on All-American so I would be no match for u.. :lol: I redshirted Kasa and Josh Smith (who is Toney Clemons next year). My recruiting just frickin stinks.. Lost two soft commits to Texas and OU.. Unbelievable. I play Nebraska next and I have one commit.. I mean WTF?

How long do you play your quarters?

Last edited:
I'm not buying the whole power running game CU is supposedly installing. There is a lot of misinformation out there, mainly placed by the coaching staff. I know the spread didn't really impress many of you guys, but I believe that a pass heavy offense will always be Hawkins' vision for the program.
disagree strongly with this statement. As someone already said... look at what he did when he was successful. Add in the talent of the team at Oline and RB.... unless we are way behind a lot, I just don't see us passing more than 45% of the plays.

i think youd want a smallish, quick oline in a zone blocking scheme and we dont run much of that. All im saying is we should play to our strengths and not what we are not so good at. Linemen love to run block period and i think we could gap people with it.

6 minutes, Id have a thousand yards a game if I played 12. Ill play ya and there are folks much better than me. I havent played 10 online yet but I played alot of the guys that played 09 and 08.

This team does not have the quarterback to be successful running a pass-oriented offense, period.

The running game in football is like a jab in boxing, if we use it, alot of stuff will open up.

It makes sense that Hawk and Kiesau don't want to turn this into a power-running team given their backgrounds, but given that the RB's and hopefully OL are the strengths of this team and that QB and WR are not, you'd certainly think that we'll see them run the ball more this year than what they envision for the future.

I'd love to see them turn into a power running team, but I just don't see that happening under this staff.

The running game in football is like a jab in boxing, if we use it, alot of stuff will open up.

I think Coach Hawk & Kiesau are smart enough to recognize this point...you get the run going, then you will have no problem opening the playbook up for just about anything else they might be thinking of

very well put.....I think week to week we will see different formations, but the foundation for this offense will be the running game...power running.....GO BUFFS!!!!!!

u actually lost a game? Bro im 46-0 and 3 time defending National Champion, gotta step up man. Yes, that is against Heisman level by the way. D Scott won two Heismans in a row on my squad. U have xbox or ps3? we should play sometime.

Sounds like you should join the allbuffs dynasty

Our OL averages 6'6", 300 lbs and it's undersized? :huh:

I think by today's standards, 300lbs isn't really all that big.

Look at OU's offensive line.
318lbs, 318lbs, 265lbs, 297lbs, 310lbs.

Look at UT's offensive line.
320lbs, 320lbs, 295lbs, 305lbs, 310lbs.

I think by today's standards, 300lbs isn't really all that big.

Look at OU's offensive line.
318lbs, 318lbs, 265lbs, 297lbs, 310lbs.

Look at UT's offensive line.
320lbs, 320lbs, 295lbs, 305lbs, 310lbs.

OU averages 4 lbs more than CU's line. Not that big of a difference. UT's line is massive, though.

I think it's a proven fact that size doesn't actually equate to success on the O-Line....the Broncos & many others have disproved that notion over the years....technique & speed are as, if not more important in today's game of football

now guys like Solder, who have all 3....that's the stuff that makes me giddy

I think it's a proven fact that size doesn't actually equate to success on the O-Line....the Broncos & many others have disproved that notion over the years....technique & speed are as, if not more important in today's game of football

now guys like Solder, who have all 3....that's the stuff that makes me giddy

Agree, but it's very scheme dependent.

Broncos ran a zone blocking scheme where quickness was at a premium for an o-lineman. Buffs aren't doing that. With all of these H-back sets, the offense is really similar to the Redskins style with the oversized "Hogs" offensive linemen. That said, I don't know where people are getting the idea that the Buffs o-line isn't huge.

Agree, but it's very scheme dependent.

Broncos ran a zone blocking scheme where quickness was at a premium for an o-lineman. Buffs aren't doing that. With all of these H-back sets, the offense is really similar to the Redskins style with the oversized "Hogs" offensive linemen. That said, I don't know where people are getting the idea that the Buffs o-line isn't huge.
remember, only 1 upperclassman on the line. I have doubts any of UT's guys maxed out their weight as underclassmen. This line has a lot of guys with the frame to get bigger. Hell, Solder STILL looks like a ****ing ginormous sprinter.

remember, only 1 upperclassman on the line. I have doubts any of UT's guys maxed out their weight as underclassmen. This line has a lot of guys with the frame to get bigger. Hell, Solder STILL looks like a ****ing ginormous sprinter.

Yep. They're huge this year. They'll be absolutely freakish next year.

I believe the vision is a balanced, pro style attack.

Agreed... Balance, balance, balance...

If the D can't scheme one part of the attack the O's have the advantage. That opens up the run or pass. and if you can run the ball and play D you win games.

That being sad, when Hawk decides to 'pass' I think he will pull some crazy sh** out of his @$$.

I see Hawkins going with a running attack throughout any game as long as it continues to be effective. What I don't want to see him do, is completly bail out on a game plan because the offense is struggling. The other thing I see Hawk doing, is refining some of the gadget or trick plays to be more consistant before he has to resort to using them.

th_Tequilla_will_do_that-1.jpg

Last edited:
Kiesau and Hawkins better stick to the ground game or it's going to be a long season for the Buffs and plus Hawkins loses all credibility if he goes to more of a pass heavy offense.

I think Valdez is on to something. I don't think Hawk is ever going to be a 3 yards and a cloud of dust kind of guy. If we think we're going to see a 60/40 split to the running game, I think we're going to be disappointed.

What I really hope to see is a change in the type of running plays we use. More straight ahead conventional running plays, fewer dipsy do, stop and go running plays out of the shotgun. I think Hawk will always want to keep the number of running and passing plays roughly equal, but have the running game work off of the passing game. This year the passing game might have to work off the running game, because that's where the strength of this team is...

I don't think it would be smart to run it all the time this year if you want a chance at a blue chip QB next year.

Can anyone tell me who was the blue chip QB we landed after the 2001 season?

Can anyone tell me who was the blue chip QB we landed after the 2001 season?

we've been snakebit on recruiting a bluechip qb for quite some time. ochs was the last and obviously that did not end well.

the recruting scandal obviously hurt in a big way too.

and, hawkins and company not winning and having the coach's kid as the starting qb have probably hurt as well.

our Buffs have been the bridesmaid on a couple really good ones the last couple of years. we lost jones to ou (which sucked) and we lost that kid to utah who is competing for the starting job right now as a true frosh.

win and they will come.

we've been snakebit on recruiting a bluechip qb for quite some time. ochs was the last and obviously that did not end well.

and, hawkins and company not winning and having the coach's kid as the starting qb have probably hurt as well.

our Buffs have been the bridesmaid on a couple really good ones the last couple of years. we lost jones to ou (which sucked) and we lost that kid to utah who is competing for the starting job right now as a true frosh.

win and they will come.

I totally agree with you, but it will be easier recruiting them to a balanced offense instead "hey come here and hand it off to our great backs!"

I'm not buying the whole power running game CU is supposedly installing. There is a lot of misinformation out there, mainly placed by the coaching staff. I know the spread didn't really impress many of you guys, but I believe that a pass heavy offense will always be Hawkins' vision for the program.[/QUOTE

Being a power running team does not have to mean run first. When they say a power running team, I think they are referring to the type of running plays. Rather than relying on draws, misdirections and sweeps, to me a power running game means they are going line up to run right at you and rely on the strength of the O-line to power people out of the way.

You can still run the ball with power and have a balanced attack. The first several years under Shanny are a good example of that. That had a balanced attack but the running game was more geared to go straight at you, so that in the 4th quarter, when they had a lead, they could wear you down and control the ball more.

win and they will come.

Wasn't there another 4 star kid named Landry that we had a good shot at?

All the posters who have talked about the Broncos as an example of a small line blocking....get real. The Broncos ran a zone blocking scheme exactly what Grimes was coaching. Now we are not using a zone blocking scheme which means that the Oline has to overpower the defenders.

People complain about finesse in the blocking then try to use it as an example of how a small line can block to run.

Givens @ 275 # is small for a tackle. With his problem of keeping weight on it is a worry.

I agree with Valdez, you are not going to see the running of 2001 and 2002. The most successful running teams today seem to have a running threat at the QB position which CU will not have with Hawkins at QB.

It will be interesting on Sunday because I think Kerr is a good DC, I want to see how the Buffs execute against CSU.

Back