What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Illini fans, welcome to the board.

Might as well, since it applies to Indiana, Iowa, Illinois......

At first I thought, why would the Illini say "**** their own team"--maybe these guys are cooler than I give them credit for. Then I thought they must mean Indiana. Then Iowa. I've been to Bloomington, and it's a pretty good town, all things considered. I like Iowa City even better. Why all of the anger?

At first I thought, why would the Illini say "**** their own team"--maybe these guys are cooler than I give them credit for. Then I thought they must mean Indiana. Then Iowa. I've been to Bloomington, and it's a pretty good town, all things considered. I like Iowa City even better. Why all of the anger?

I was impressed with Iowa City, all things considered.

Yep. As much as the B1G footprint sucks, it could do a lot worse for college towns.

A little trip to Manhattan Kansas or Lubbock Texas, or especially Waco could provide some new perspective (not to imply the B1G fans actually think that their little corner of the nation sucks). Of course they've got East Lansing and West Lafayette, so there are some stinkers too.

Purdue does the chant at every home game no matter who they are playing...huge big brother envy thing.

If I remember correctly, the Gene Keady v. Bobby Knight thing was a big rivalry in the late 80s. Wasn't there a flying chair at one point?

Yep. As much as the B1G footprint sucks, it could do a lot worse for college towns.

A little trip to Manhattan Kansas or Lubbock Texas, or especially Waco could provide some new perspective (not to imply the B1G fans actually think that their little corner of the nation sucks). Of course they've got East Lansing and West Lafayette, so there are some stinkers too.

They lost me at adding Lincoln.

If I remember correctly, the Gene Keady v. Bobby Knight thing was a big rivalry in the late 80s. Wasn't there a flying chair at one point?

Yes Bobby Knight threw a chair during a Purdue game. The rivalry has lost a bit as it has been a while since both have been really good at the same time.

Beth-Ditto-Face-Sitting.gif

Maybe a little. Are you nervous that the evolution curriculum is gaining steam on creationism in your public schools?

You have us confused with Kansas... which is also flat, and where most of our coaches go when they leave Champaign.... also significantly less populated (not that downstate Illinois is super-cosmopolitan or anything)

You have us confused with Kansas... which is also flat, and where most of our coaches go when they leave Champaign.... also significantly less populated (not that downstate Illinois is super-cosmopolitan or anything)

Cave-In-Rock is cool. Other than that, 98% of your state blows.

Flatlanders are flatlanders. There's a type.

Might as well, since it applies to Indiana, Iowa, Illinois......

We don't have the Big 12's problem of "University of XXX" being abbreviated "XU" (well, except we inherited it from Nebraska)

IU is Indiana University

UI is University of Iowa or Illinois, although I've noticed Illinois fans typically say U of I or UIUC (Urbana-Champaign, as opposed to UIS or UIC)

/end boring acronym lecture

We don't have the Big 12's problem of "University of XXX" being abbreviated "XU" (well, except we inherited it from Nebraska)

IU is Indiana University

UI is University of Iowa or Illinois, although I've noticed Illinois fans typically say U of I or UIUC (Urbana-Champaign, as opposed to UIS or UIC)

/end boring acronym lecture

I miss that Chief Illini logo you guys used to have. That was unique and was a strong emblem. The big orange "I" is very weak sauce, by comparison.

Edit: Found it (and it's "Illiniwek").

Chief_illiniwek_logo.gif

Only B1G town I really hated was West Lafayette.

Champaign/Urbana was lacking on topographical relief, but has had a lot of development in the last 15-20 years, nice campus, and 19 year old bar age... plus it was my home for 6 years.

Madison is Madison, it sucks Wisconsin fans live there because I think it's an awesome city. Minneapolis & Columbus are bigger cities... rest are good college towns... 1-200,000 residents and 40,000+ student universities.

I miss that Chief Illini logo you guys used to have. That was unique and was a strong emblem. The big orange "I" is very weak sauce, by comparison.

Edit: Found it (and it's "Illiniwek").
Chief_illiniwek_logo.gif

Yeaa... about that....

Kind of a sore topic

Suffice it to say a huge chunk of the fanbase isn't over it.

I'm in the segment that thinks we were honestly trying to do good with the Chief, but it just wasn't going to work and had to go... and I'd rather have the Fat-I logo and call the team the Illini with no native american imagery than try and invent something new.

Yeaa... about that....

Kind of a sore topic

Suffice it to say a huge chunk of the fanbase isn't over it.

I'm in the segment that thinks we were honestly trying to do good with the Chief, but it just wasn't going to work and had to go... and I'd rather have the Fat-I logo and call the team the Illini with no native american imagery than try and invent something new.

Talking to my mother today (she spent part of her childhood growing up in Western Kentucky right across the river from Illinois), and she knew a guy -a doctor- who was the Illini mascot back in the day :lol:. Wasn't exactly expecting to hear that.

What is it with the low self esteem of these Illini fans? They are trying to convince us the trailer park their school is in is a great place. Nope it is a shot hole nobody ever said they wanted to go visit Champaign. Next they tell us the non threaded message board is awesome. Nope it is an archaic design supported by morons. Still watching hamster dance? What is next trying to convince us that Walkmans have better sound than MP3 players? Maybe telling us the iroc-z is the coolest car ever made? I can't wait to find out what you geniuses come up with.

What is it with the low self esteem of these Illini fans? They are trying to convince us the trailer park their school is in is a great place. Nope it is a shot hole nobody ever said they wanted to go visit Champaign. Next they tell us the non threaded message board is awesome. Nope it is an archaic design supported by morons. Still watching hamster dance? What is next trying to convince us that Walkmans have better sound than MP3 players? Maybe telling us the iroc-z is the coolest car ever made? I can't wait to find out what you geniuses come up with.
Obviously false. Definitely the Reliant Robin.
[video=youtube;QQh56geU0X8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8[/video]

Don't know why I didn't post this earlier. Old 97s are one of my all-time favorite bands.

Apparently, there's a place that's special for well-intentioned, but drunk and ineffective blue collar Midwesterners. It's Champaign, Illinois.

We should all be so lucky.

[video=youtube;7C-1dPETefE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C-1dPETefE[/video]

This board has a threaded option.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Talking to my mother today (she spent part of her childhood growing up in Western Kentucky right across the river from Illinois), and she knew a guy -a doctor- who was the Illini mascot back in the day :lol:. Wasn't exactly expecting to hear that.

Ha ha! They're next to Kentucky.

Semper Gumby

Back