What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I'm feeling a bit encouraged

The fact that you sing it wrong, and that banners have it printed wrong, does not mean you are correct.
When the song was written, these two lines were meant to rhyme:
NEVER GIVE IN,
FIGHT, FIGHT, WIN.

But I get that you think because you sang it that way in Folsom as a freshman, it's always been. But it hasn't.
Does it matter? Of course not. Sing away. But considering the students took "win" out of the fight song tells me a lot.
I'm looking at you, goalline. Looking at you.

* WHEN!

@AlferdJasper

Further analysis of the fight song:

Fight CU down the field, CU must win <<=== only use of the the word "win".
Fight fight for victory, CU knows no defeat <<==== note: does not rhyme with the first line, possibly indicating lines might go in pairs. Also, thematically consistent with "win"
So, roll up a mighty score, never give in <<<==== look at that! it rhymes with the first line, satisfying any rhyming requirements.
Shoulder to shoulder we will fight fight Fight Fight FIGHT!!! <<<=== doesn't rhyme with line 2 or 3. Thematically consistent with never giving in.

Conclusion: The last fight should be changed to "feet" so that it rhymes with defeat in the second line of the song. That way, lines 1 & 3 rhyme and lines 2 & 4 rhyme.

Are there other more appropriate choices that rhyme with feat? Perhaps, fight, fight, fight fight CHEAT!

Or, we can leave it alone as it always was!

The fact that you sing it wrong, and that banners have it printed wrong, does not mean you are correct.
When the song was written, these two lines were meant to rhyme:
NEVER GIVE IN,
FIGHT, FIGHT, WIN.

But I get that you think because you sang it that way in Folsom as a freshman, it's always been. But it hasn't.
Does it matter? Of course not. Sing away. But considering the students took "win" out of the fight song tells me a lot.
I'm looking at you, goalline. Looking at you.
From the CU website.

I know we'll never agree. Rhyming be damned!

However, I learned the song in early elementary school from a teacher that was a rabid fan. I went to games with my Dad (who has had season tickets since around 1965). It has always been 5 fights at the end. This goes back much further than my higher education experiences.

Well, I was at games BEFORE 1965, so that doesn't tell either of us anything. But I can assure you the songwriter rhymed every other set of lines. I assume the
"fight, fight, fight" refrain was something fun to chant in the stands, shaking our firsts, not the official words.

Basically, goalline, you can fight, fight, fight this fight, but you ain't gonna win it.
Because, I'll never give in.

Or...

possibly

Fight, fight...

Nyla362.jpg

If you asked me what was most likely, win, close (<7) loss, or ass-kicking, I'd have to say ass-kicking. Sorry.

Really hope I'm wrong, because a win might launch us into a couple of other upsets.

I'm feeling a bit discouraged that this thread has devolved into bickering over the fight song.

Can I assume that Burrito and I are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?

Excellent well; you are a fishmonger.
You are the queen, your husband's brother's wife.

/bardnurd

@AlferdJasper has made the claim with no evidence other than random memory. It's his claim to prove.

He needs to get his ass to the CU library, look at the old yearbooks or whatever, and produce some actual evidence that he's right. I mean, if he's remembering words to songs from pre 1965, he's retired and actually has time to do **** like that, right?

@AlferdJasper has made the claim with no evidence other than random memory. It's his claim to prove.

He needs to get his ass to the CU library, look at the old yearbooks or whatever, and produce some actual evidence that he's right. I mean, if he's remembering words to songs from pre 1965, he's retired and actually has time to do **** like that, right?

Say what?

Back