1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm starting to like Embo's staff choices...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by leftybuff, Dec 10, 2010.

1. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

many have criticized him for staying "in the family", but at his presser he said he wanted a power pro style O. He is building that:

EB- Was part of the power running 01-02 CU teams, experience with the Vikes in a prostyle O as RB coach;

Brookhart- ran a very successful ( well for a while) pro style attack at Akron as HC and has some NFL exp. IIRC;

Marshall- Also part of the CU 01-02 stampede, stops at NFL and BCS schools, knows a prostyle attack;

That is some pretty good experience to draw on in addition to Embo's years under Shanny and other NFL'ers.

On D, Cabral is a known quantity and Brown, IMO will do fine as DC. McGhee is alittle bit of an unknown, but Tui is supposedly a quality DL coach and effective recruiter. So far, so good....

2. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

I wonder who will the QBs coach be? Walt Harris or the UA QBs coach? I feel something funny is going on in Tucson...maybe Mike Stoops is getting ready to bail ship.

3. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I've thought the same myself. Harris is an offensive wizard supposedly, it would be a good get. I don't know much about the AZ guy other than the AZ people seem to like him.....

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I'd rather have Scelfo than Harris.

5. Waldo

Waldo Original Copy Club Member

I'll take Joel Klatt, he has all the skills just not the natural tools for the next level.

6. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

Now you've done it.

5 4 3 2 1...

7. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Yeah, what is up with UArizona? Either Stoops is a bad boss, or they don't pay their assistants very much.

Looks like they will be slinking back down to the bottom of the 12Pac. Fine by me, since we'll have to pass lots of teams to make our way to the top of the new conference.

8. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

Dave Logan!

9. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Who's Brookhart?

10. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

11. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Thanks, 'Nik. That was the next thread I read right after posting here. Dude has Pueblo roots, that'll get my old man fired up!

12. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I like that we have an offensive identity for the first time in 5 years and know exactly how we are going to attack opponents. We are going to be a power running team that sets up the pass. Hopefully physical on both offensive and defensive.

13. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

...I was just thinking that I'm not liking his hires a whole lot. I don't hate them, but nobody has really blown me away. Still, I'm excited to get rid of Hawk's people.

14. rscmac

rscmac Club Member Club Member

Maybe the coaches are tired of stoops and antics on the sideline he does like to yell and get into coaches faces.

15. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

well, except when we are recruiting QB's and telling them we will "sling it around".

16. rscmac

rscmac Club Member Club Member

Sling it around sounds like hawk to me.

17. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

I'm impressed! He is putting together a very solid staff so far! A lot better than the Boise boys!

18. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

For once I disagree with you Nik. One thing JE and his staff (so far) don't have is someone with measurable HC experience. From what I've heard, there's a lot of coordination, admin details, etc., that the HC needs to do. Having someone who's been there would help JE, particularly the first few years.

19. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

You might want to check J.D.'s past (ahem, head coach at Akron for several years)....

And all the things you describe are things you have Operations take care of. An experienced QB coach (for this system) and J.D.'s experience with the West Coast Offense fits Bienemy and Embree's skillsets nicely IMO.

20. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

If you were referring to Brookhart, you're right I overlooked him. But my point (to some extent) remains. There are a lot of things that HC's have to do outside of what the staff, aids, and operations can help with. Dealing with the media, relations with academia, overall direction, scheduling, and oversight of the FB program in general. JE now has one coach who's seen this to some extent, but I still believe Harris could provide additional assistance. Hence, I like him better as a choice for one of the a/c positions.

21. BuffsRising

BuffsRising Well-Known Member

We are going to be running the west coast offense, and whomever coaches the QB's had better be a west coast offense guy. That means Harris had better be the guy.

22. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

You are nuts. We need someone who has worked with QBs before. Walt worked with Boomer Esiason in the pros, was at Ohio State as an assistant and developed many good college QB's at Pitt.

The defensive coaches don't impress me much but we'll see.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  23. huskermark

huskermark Well-Known Member

Will you please take Watson back, that would make my Holiday Season:smile2:

24. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Uh no. :lol:

25. The Guest

The Guest Guest

You can't wipe that Booger back on us.

26. huskermark

huskermark Well-Known Member

Well I tried, I have never liked Watson, I thought the Buffs wanted to bring back coaches that had "been in the family", he did have one good year there:smile2:

But i now understand why you would not want him back:cry:

27. BuffsRising

Its a lot easier to build a real staff when you've coached with a lot of top flight coaches. Hawk pretty much only knew his small mafia of boise bois. He never really played or coached with a big time program at all.

Embree, on the other hand, played for a top flight coach, coached several excellent college staffs, and coached for a couple of pretty good pro coaches in Herm Edwards and Mike Shanahan.

Take O-line coach; Hawkins had a plan A, which was hire his own guy from Boise. When he bailed, plan B was to flail around in the dark, and we got Grimes, who was ok, and then Denver Johnson, who was horrible. Embree coached with guys like Tom Cable and Steve Marshall, and coached under Mike Shanahan, who knows a thing or two about o-line coaches. Plan A was obviously Marshall, but if he needs a plan B, he has great guys to run names by or get a suggestion, and he saw up close how top flight o-line coaches operate, and can judge a new guy accordingly.

But its nice that so far the entire offensive staff are guys familiar with the west coast offensive philosophy, unlike the previous regime who could never figure out what kind of offense they were running.

28. BuffsRising

Watson only looked competent as an OC when he had Bienemy coaching his RB's, Marshall coaching his O-line, and Embree coaching his receivers. When those three left, he starting looking like Shortbus. We did try to warn you guys.

29. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Good ol shortbus Watson...with good being used extremely loose.

30. CenturyBuff

CenturyBuff Member

So far so good on the staff for me. I'm liking:

--A return to some CU tradition (JE & EB & KM)
    --Overall recruiting ability (JE & EB)
    --West coast recruiting & PAC familiarity (Tui, Brown, Marshall)
    --Potential Texas recruiting (KM)

So far, it just feels like there's some real credibility with these guys. With the last regime, I felt like when Hawk arrived, "Well, dude was 53-11 at Boise, so these guys must be good coaches," despite the fact I didn't recognize really any of them.

So, I feel good so far, but as JE said, the proof will be whether they can coach 'em on the field.