What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I'm sure recruiting is going to be great with a lame (duck) coach

Agree it would have to be a tough sell; although some do feel recruiting is overrated. We think the kids want great facilities and mountain views - they don't - they want to get ready for the NFL and play for a winning team.

Mark my words -- with Hawk, we will end up with the worst recruiting class in the Big 12.

If we hire someone else, is there a chance that he'll do just as poorly? Sure. But is there a chance he'd do better? Sure. And that's why not making a change and sticking with the status quo, which has been proven to be bad at best, is so crazy.

Agree it would have to be a tough sell; although some do feel recruiting is overrated. We think the kids want great facilities and mountain views - they don't - they want to get ready for the NFL and play for a winning team.

I cant remember where I read that or saw that but a survey of student athletes in football listed this as the primary reason they chose a particular school.

This years class is already a definite step down from past years and not up to the competition in the conference. We have a few really good kids and some others who have definite potential to develop but how many other Big XII schools would trade our class for theirs this year.

The real problem is going to come next year. Hawk is going to be Hawk which means we lose at least one or two games OOC that we have no business losing for lack of preparation. We win virtually nothing on the road. If we do very well we win 5-6, realistically we win 2-4.

The fans have already had enough of Hawk, the media will join the feeding frenzy, recruits will know that a)The program is in serious decline and b)Hawk survived once but it is only a matter of time until he is gone.

This years class, down but acceptable, next years class, hold your nose and hope that whoever replaces Hawk can make up for it the following years.

I cant remember where I read that or saw that but a survey of student athletes in football listed this as the primary reason they chose a particular school.

That whole 'committment to excellence' niche is so overworked, though. We need to focus on the ones who go in for chintzy zen analogies and faux tibetan cuisine.

For those who believe they have a future in the NFL. Not every college athlete has those aspirations.

I will never believe that every recruit has the same reason(s) for choosing a school. The reasons that weigh in a final decision are likely as unique as each player.

Everything from the weather on their recruiting trip, to connecting with players and/or coaches at a school, because a coveted girlfriend might attend nearby, to wanted to stay in-state, or wanting to move far from home. It's all over the board.

AJ is probably right there. The reasons a recruit chooses a school are probably as varied as the reasons a normal student chooses a school.

I don't really know how recruiting will go, but recruits aren't stupid. They aren't going to just walk into a position like the one we are in.

I don't really know how recruiting will go, but recruits aren't stupid. They aren't going to just walk into a position like the one we are in.

But they are young and see things from a perspective we can barely imagine. We already know that we will see more QBs join CU this year BECAUSE we have not had a star in that position. Toney Clemons is coming here because we did not have a wide receiver that was a standout when he made his decision.

Recruits also look for where there are gaps on a roster, and sometimes a losing team seems like a sure thing to match their skills. Remember, most of these kids are the big cheese in their respective high schools. They "know" they can walk on the field and impress everyone upon arrival.

Yeah, but that's all we can sell next year. A chance to play early because our team is so crappy. Not sure that works on everyone. I think the staff will do a decent job of getting the under the radar guys, 3* and below. The 4* and 5* types will not want much part in coming here. jmo though.

But they are young and see things from a perspective we can barely imagine. We already know that we will see more QBs join CU this year BECAUSE we have not had a star in that position. Toney Clemons is coming here because we did not have a wide receiver that was a standout when he made his decision.

Recruits also look for where there are gaps on a roster, and sometimes a losing team seems like a sure thing to match their skills. Remember, most of these kids are the big cheese in their respective high schools. They "know" they can walk on the field and impress everyone upon arrival.

But then they get here and don't play.

For those who believe they have a future in the NFL. Not every college athlete has those aspirations.

I will never believe that every recruit has the same reason(s) for choosing a school. The reasons that weigh in a final decision are likely as unique as each player.

Everything from the weather on their recruiting trip, to connecting with players and/or coaches at a school, because a coveted girlfriend might attend nearby, to wanted to stay in-state, or wanting to move far from home. It's all over the board.

proximity to home is the overwhelming primary factor. Results show this.

Personally I don't understand why this staff even goes after the 4* and 5* players. They don't play when they get here. Hawkins doesn't like the talented guys. He wants to assemble an army of walk on WR's and 5'7 quarterbacks that are almost as good at doing their homework as mediocre CU students.

We all know a 2.6 GPA is a cause to be celebrated for CU communications majors, right? What a ****ing joke. I could do their coursework in my sleep.

They can sell recruits extra hard on early playing time with all of the transfers we are about to have. Then they can complain about the team being really young. Rinse, repeat.

Back