What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Improve the game-day experience

Chuck e cheese is gourmet compared to casa Bonita.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But the sopapillas and Black Bart's cave more than make up for food quality. Oh and the jerk running around in the gorilla costume.

If your team is going to be losing anyway, the tailgate is THE reason to show up on campus.

There are at least 38,000 of your closest friends who come to Boulder to get away from work and to escape the house in order to enjoy talking football, drinking beer, eating grilled meat, listening to the band, and eyeballing the scenery from the Flatirons to the aisles of Folsom.

The worst pre-game tailgate in Boulder is better than your best day at the office.

Nobody's man-cave and HDTV beats Boulder on a football Saturday in those special three hours prior to kickoff. From the moment you set foot on campus to instant the door closes on Ralphie's trailer after the best mascot in college football leads the team out of the locker room, Boulder is magic.

Nobody loses a tailgate on a perfect fall day in Boulder. The tailgate has been the most fun part of CU football since the Hawkins era.

After the opening kickoff, things tend to get a little dicey.

Some CU fans I know can get a little irritable following a loss.
I don't particularly want to hang out with some of my buddies after CU has been depantsed by the opponent. Dealing with thousands of angry and disappointed CU fans is a buzzkill. I'll take a pass on heading over to the Sink after a nasty defeat.

When CU damages the pre-game party atmosphere with petty law enforcement activities and bad logistics, that just demotivates what is left of the hard core fan base.

The fun to be had before the game has to compensate for the harsh realization that the home team is an underdog again and will likely get beaten again.

I used to go to games until a bunch of chubby, drunk, thin-haired, 35 year old assholes parked their tailgate in front of my favorite bike rack.

Also the intramural member avatar everyone has is confusing the hell out of me.

From 2000 to 2011 - the Buffs averaged right at 50,000 fans per home game.
In 2012 - the Buffs averaged 45,000 fans per home game.
In 2013 - the Buffs averaged 38,463 fans per home game.

Now, do I hear you correctly, that you are blaming concession lines, restroom facilities and game times (as well as poor tailgating support) for the drop in attendance!?!

Did something happen to the restrooms from 2011-2013 to spark a 12,000 reduction in attendance?
Did something happen to the concession stands from 2011-2013 to spark a 12,000 reduction in attendance?

Were the game times so drastically different in 2013 than in previous years?? Football game times in 2013 were largely dictated by TV. The game times in 2013 were 6pm (Central Ark), 4pm (Oregon), noon (Charleston Southern), 6pm (Arizona), 3:30pm (Cal) and 7:30pm (USC).

It is interesting that in 2011, the Buffs played USC at 7:00 pm and 50,000+ showed up to the game. In 2013, the game was played at essentially the same time (7:30pm) Unfortunately, because the bathrooms had deteriorated so significantly and the lines at the concession stands had become so terrible - only 36,000 fans appeared to watch the game. I'll grant you, it was very cold that day - 10 degrees colder in 2013 than it was when USC came to Boulder in 2011. (Of course, the weather doesn't explain why only 38,000 showed up for the 50+ degree weather the week before against Cal.)

Want good attendance to football games -- put a good product on the field.
Weather is always the worst excuse because so many of the tickets are based on season tickets and other advance sales, walkups account for a relatively small amount.

It's interesting that nobody is talking about Rick George being much more hands-on in improving on-field play. If we are to get back to being good, it will be because we finally have an AD ditching the bull**** attitude of previous years.

Do you guys think removing the bike racks from the front of the student entrance would help

I don't think the cheese enchiladas at Casa Bonita even have cheese in them. Yellow something, but not cheese.

I don't think the cheese enchiladas at Casa Bonita even have cheese in them. Yellow something, but not cheese.

The BnG enchilada from Casa Bonita would set the bike rack standard of CU concessions. Black something, but not insects, beans, nor meat.

You can't ride a bike, quit lying and **** lol.

Yes he can.

drunk-bicycle.gif

this past was the second weekend in a row of the Mrs. dragging me around furniture shopping. during that tortuous experience, it occurred to me that I haven't given Sacky a useful response to his serious question, despite his plea to answer seriously, so here goes.

1. [idea taken from Lambeau Field] give out chemical hand warmers at the gates on the colder game days (this should also help stop some of the b**ching about late kickoffs).
2. [idea taken from Wallace Wade Stadium] give out free cups of ice water when temps exceed 90F (not sure if that would ever apply at Folsom).
3. stop running Ralphie at halftime. I don't have the full history, but having her run again at halftime takes away some of the motivation to show up early (important for families with kids). In general, making "the run" a once per game event also makes it more special.
4. schedule better non-conf opponents. looking at CU's future schedule, I think we can check this one off already.
5. flyovers? I went to four CU football games last year and don't recall a single flyover (correct if I'm wrong, I wasn't 100% sober for any of them), which seems odd given proximity to the AFA. These wouldn't make a difference to me but I know the subject of whether or not a flyover is happening and what types of aircrafts are doing so is always big on the VT boards before a game.
6. collectible, (non-compostable, non-recyclable) soft drink cups featuring team graphics!
7. <sarcasm> honor alumni rich donors with a plaque during TV breaks. Nothing more entertaining</sarcasm>.
8. [idea taken from Scott Stadium] play a student-produced, custom video before the game, that, in a good-natured manner, makes fun of the opponent and their mascot.

All this in the context that Folsom has to be one of the most beautiful stadiums in college football, especially sitting in the East stands with the mountains in the background.

this past was the second weekend in a row of the Mrs. dragging me around furniture shopping. during that tortuous experience, it occurred to me that I haven't given Sacky a useful response to his serious question, despite his plea to answer seriously, so here goes.

1. [idea taken from Lambeau Field] give out chemical hand warmers at the gates on the colder game days (this should also help stop some of the b**ching about late kickoffs).
2. [idea taken from Wallace Wade Stadium] give out free cups of ice water when temps exceed 90F (not sure if that would ever apply at Folsom).
3. stop running Ralphie at halftime. I don't have the full history, but having her run again at halftime takes away some of the motivation to show up early (important for families with kids). In general, making "the run" a once per game event also makes it more special.
4. schedule better non-conf opponents. looking at CU's future schedule, I think we can check this one off already.
5. flyovers? I went to four CU football games last year and don't recall a single flyover (correct if I'm wrong, I wasn't 100% sober for any of them), which seems odd given proximity to the AFA. These wouldn't make a difference to me but I know the subject of whether or not a flyover is happening and what types of aircrafts are doing so is always big on the VT boards before a game.
6. collectible, (non-compostable, non-recyclable) soft drink cups featuring team graphics!
7. <sarcasm> honor alumni rich donors with a plaque during TV breaks. Nothing more entertaining</sarcasm>.
8. [idea taken from Scott Stadium] play a student-produced, custom video before the game, that, in a good-natured manner, makes fun of the opponent and their mascot.

All this in the context that Folsom has to be one of the most beautiful stadiums in college football, especially sitting in the East stands with the mountains in the background.
You have a point with #3, but I still disagree with it.

#6 I love collecting these

#7 all schools do that

#8 Terps do something like this usually after halftime

Ralphie runs at the beginning of the game and at the beginning of the second half. That's the way it is. There is no messing with Ralphie allowed.

Watching Ralphie run after halftime has been the highlight of the second halves for the last few years, don't mess with it.

As for #1 & #6, only hand out items that you can tolerate being thrown at grandmothers from Nebraska. A plastic cup smeared with the guts of a hand warmer would make a formidable projectile in the student section arsenal.

#5 from Hokie's list had more to do with gov. furlough and changes to funding. When we had flyovers, I don't think CU ever footed the bill.

And, Ralphie must run. I'd like it if she ran after every quarter, or score, or possession. heck, we don't need to play football anymore, just run a herd of buffalo around in folsom for 3 hours. :)

do away with the stupid ticket requirement for little kids.

Good point. I agree. I don't know when an appropriate cutoff would be. Maybe anybody over the age of two. The point being you don't want to give parents a reason to not go to the game.

Back