What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

In Defense of Coach Hawkins

Apologies in advance for such a long post.:smile:

As a fan, I hate to be negative. It's no fun. At heart, I'm a total sunshine pumper and I was a true believer in Coach Hawkins. I think that's why I was so upset at what I saw the first two weeks of this season. The product I saw on the field completely contradicted everything I had come to believe in as far as where the program is and where it is headed under Hawkins.

But with the bye week, I've had some time to reflect on things. My starting point was the Denver Post quote 2 weeks ago from Coach Mac:

“I still believe he’s laid the right foundation and with a foundation of sound character, hard work and principles, it’s just a matter of time. In construction there’s a principle,” McCartney said. “The higher the building, the deeper you dig the foundation. What’s the foundation look like? He’s getting good kids who stay the course. It will end up being something significant."

Following that quote, we shut out Wyoming 24-0. Wyoming didn't play well and CU still had its problems (especially on offense), but it was a shutout win against a respectable and well-coached smaller conference opponent that has a history of pulling significant road upsets. So I thought to myself, "Maybe Mac is onto something here" and I decided to really consider what he was trying to communicate and whether it makes sense.

I believe Mac was referring to several things, some of which have been discussed and some of which haven't.

1 - CU was a mess when Hawkins took over. He inherited players that had quit on their last coach, a severe lack of talent, and an incoming recruiting class that was barely salvageable.

2 - The quick approach to winning would have been to bring in a number of JUCO players, ignore it when talented guys didn't follow team rules, practice hard or study their play books, and to play the talented true freshmen instead of redshirting them. But Hawkins decided instead to primarily recruit HS kids that fit the mold of what he wanted a "Colorado Man" to be, redshirt every one of them he could to give them time to develop for maximum long-term success, only took a select few JUCOs that fit the profile. Basically, he took his lumps for the sake of building the right foundation.

3 - Because of #s 1 and 2, our junior and senior classes are still thin. Therefore, even though we hate to keep using it as an excuse, the fact is that this team is still extremely young. A bowl game this year, a better bowl in 2010, and a breakout 2011 is actually the realistic expectation when you look at the Buff roster.

As an aside, Cody fits into this one. You never want to start a QB before his RS-Junior year unless he's a truly special player. Cody's taking his lumps and managing our offense to give the younger, more talented QBs time to develop. Dan is trying to set us up as a 5th year senior-dominated program that can re-load every year just like Boise does.

4 - Speaking of Boise, they also run 30 or 40 personnel groups every week. This takes a veteran team of players with high football IQs in order to work. That doesn't happen overnight, but when it does "pop" you're in a position to beat teams that have a lot more elite talent but much lower football IQs simply because your guys are always in the best position to take advantage of the holes in their schemes. Since Colorado will never be able to consistently win recruiting battles with Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska (Top 10 all-time programs) or get in the borderline students and JUCOs other Big 12 programs make their living on, we need to win by being a more mature football team with more football smarts. The Boise model with the better athletes we can attract could be a perfect match. It makes a ton of sense if we want to see CU be a consistent Top 25 team again.

I could go on, but you guys get the gist. Where I'm at is, upon reflection I trust Coach Mac when he says that Coach Hawkins has done things the right way. That a foundation has been laid for sustainable long-term success. That this is the right approach to take at CU. However, I also believe that it needs to start showing tangible results this year. Bottom line is that my stance has softened and that if we can get to a bowl game this year and win it, that will be enough for me to continue believing in Coach Hawkins and what he is doing. Tonight is essential to the mission and we need to get back to .500 with a big road win. I think we do it.

Go Buffs!

P.S. Anyone that made it through this rambling piece of mental masturbation, please let me know where I've gone wrong here. Did my wife slip Kool-Aid into my bong water or something? :smile2:

I think you are trying to read way too much into what coach Mac said. He is not associated with the program on a day to day basis.

I will take serious issue with your one comment about the 2005 team quitting. That team never quit...they fought their way through a tough time for a couple of years with little support for them and that team wanted to win for themselves and their coaching staff. Those guys were working on emotion so much that when they lost to ISU it was like a balloon burst - they had nothing left emotionally and were running on fumes for the rest of the year. And if you don't believe me - Coach Mac was the one who laid that out for me.

I think you are trying to read way too much into what coach Mac said. He is not associated with the program on a day to day basis.

I will take serious issue with your one comment about the 2005 team quitting. That team never quit...they fought their way through a tough time for a couple of years with little support for them and that team wanted to win for themselves and their coaching staff. Those guys were working on emotion so much that when they lost to ISU it was like a balloon burst - they had nothing left emotionally and were running on fumes for the rest of the year. And if you don't believe me - Coach Mac was the one who laid that out for me.

I stand corrected. "So beaten down they had nothing left" is different than "quit". To the larger point, inheriting a team in either situation is a major chore to overcome.

Only hope against UT is if they forget to show up. But we knew that at the beginning of the season.

I do see hope against KU the week after at home though, if the team can keep it's head up after going to Austin and continue to build upon todays game[/QUOTE

Evberything looks fine through beer goggles.

I wonder who would win if this years team was to play the 2006 team.

I have to vote for 2006. Bjax wasn't a good quarterback but he was athletic and Hugh Charles was a solid back. On D we had Dizon, Abe Wright, Thad Washington, T-Wheat and of course we had Mason at kicker. How did we not win more games?

I have to vote for 2006. Bjax wasn't a good quarterback but he was athletic and Hugh Charles was a solid back. On D we had Dizon, Abe Wright, Thad Washington, T-Wheat and of course we had Mason at kicker. How did we not win more games?

I agree we went from the Big 12 north champs to the Big 12 slumps, I just don't beleive that we were that bad of a football team that year but it's given us plenty of reason to start thinking that maybe it was the coaching staff that held us back that year. We were atleast a 6 win football team.

New coach or not, the bottom line is we are playing for 2010 already.

We are going to get worked over by Texas, Kansas, and Missouri. deal with it. Let's just hope those losses mean something in the experience department for the players.

We absolutely HAVE to beat BOTH Iowa State and Kansas State on the road to have any hope for this season.

That last hope is that we can improve by the time we face Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, and Nebraska and pull off ALL of those victories.

If we lose any of those 5 games this season is over, and that is very likely.

honestly, probably coaching. At the time we thought it was because B-Jax couldn't throw. But after seeing the crap that we have done since, I'm not convinced.

About now I really wish they had burned Cody's redshirt that year. Might have helped us then, and he would be a senior now. We would have to have a new QB for sure next year.

I agree we went from the Big 12 north champs to the Big 12 slumps, I just don't beleive that we were that bad of a football team that year but it's given us plenty of reason to start thinking that maybe it was the coaching staff that held us back that year. We were atleast a 6 win football team.

I've become convinced of that as well as the years have gone by. There's no way Barnett would have lost 10 games with that group of guys. For one thing Brian White would have stayed and he was set up to be the starter. Remember it was hawk with all his inscrutable logic that decided journeyman backup Cox had outplayed everyone and would start. THEN hawk gave Cox the quick hook, bypasses White and goes to Bjax? Surreal. In retrospect you can look at those games and see that hawk was already out of his league and making chaotic, reactionary decisions. It's interesting to go to cuatthegame's archived seasons and read the reviews game by game. Hawk has always made inexplicable gameday decisions, he's always focused on lesser lights over what is typically known as 'talent' and he's always made excuses. The principle difference is that most of us are on to him now.

2006... Hawk single handedly destroyed the QB position and it has never recovered.

Our offensive has been horrible ever since Hawk has tooken over as the head coach. We can hardly run the ball, and we can't even find a QB that can throw a decent ball.

I've become convinced of that as well as the years have gone by. There's no way Barnett would have lost 10 games with that group of guys. For one thing Brian White would have stayed and he was set up to be the starter. Remember it was hawk with all his inscrutable logic that decided journeyman backup Cox had outplayed everyone and would start. THEN hawk gave Cox the quick hook, bypasses White and goes to Bjax?

Exactly.

Brian White would have been 2 year starter buying us time to develop the next QB (Hopefully not Cody).

He was 6'5" and 225 with a good strong arm and would have at least been serviceable and posed a down-field threat to defenses.

Exactly.

Brian White would have been 2 year starter buying us time to develop the next QB (Hopefully not Cody).

He was 6'5" and 225 with a good strong arm and would have at least been serviceable and posed a down-field threat to defenses.

Yeah and don't forget that we had a proven deep threat in Blake Mackey but he went directly into hawk's doghouse and didn't catch a pass all year. Absolutely baffling to me how hawk evaluates talent and consistantly promotes undersized and under-talented players over proven (and in some cases unproven, Simmons et. al) players. Is it work ethic? Is it their study habits, leadership skills or lack thereof, is it their willingness to buy in to "the system" without questioning? I really don't know anymore. I just know hawk and his system have failed.

Yeah and don't forget that we had a proven deep threat in Blake Mackey but he went directly into hawk's doghouse and didn't catch a pass all year. Absolutely baffling to me how hawk evaluates talent and consistantly promotes undersized and under-talented players over proven (and in some cases unproven, Simmons et. al) players. Is it work ethic? Is it their study habits, leadership skills or lack thereof, is it their willingness to buy in to "the system" without questioning? I really don't know anymore. I just know hawk and his system have failed.

It gives me headaches thinking about his talent evaluations.

Isn't it the coaches fault he can't teach talented players to have a better work ethic?

Back