What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

In Okie for the game

SBG

Administrator
Club Member
Junta Member
Any sights to see while I'm here or places to eat at? I'm in town visiting my brother. We'll be in the CU section. I'll be wearing a teal shirt (forgot my gold shirt) with a leg boot and a black CU hat. If you see me come up and say hi.

Talking football with one of you guys may be the only highlight of the game.......thank you Hawk!

Last CU trip to OU for the foreseeable future. When I went to UT last year at least we led at the half.

Bricktown.

It's actually quite surprising considering where you're at.

OKC has done a great job of building up the downtown area.

Have fun!

Bricktown is by far the best and just about only thing to visit while in OKC. Its got some pretty good attractions around it -- great places to eat, toby kieth bar and grill, Harkins theatre, river walk, boat road....just to name a few. Right by the stadium, south side, there is a bar/pub called O'Connels. Pretty good little place. Never been in there on gameday so not sure what the environement is like. That's about all I got for you. Have fun in OKC and welcome.

Any sights to see while I'm here or places to eat at? I'm in town visiting my brother. We'll be in the CU section. I'll be wearing a teal shirt (forgot my gold shirt) with a leg boot and a black CU hat. If you see me come up and say hi.

Talking football with one of you guys may be the only highlight of the game.......thank you Hawk!

Last CU trip to OU for the foreseeable future. When I went to UT last year at least we led at the half.

I have been to Norman twice... most fans are great and you should enjoy it. Say hi to Owen field one last time.... Maybe see if the divot of Cale Gundy is fixed from Leonard Renfro's hit in 1993.....

I went in 2006 to OU...that year there weren't many CU fans at the game - if there's more than 500-750 CU fans in the CU section this year, I'd be pretty surprised...

Have fun though, Go Buffs!

my mom remarried a guy who lives in Norman. i'm there a couple times a year.

good places to eat:

Misal's (surprisingly good Indian restaurant).
Brothers (Norman's campus bar version of the Sink: good burger and fries_
O'Connell's (good burger and fries)
Bob's (good BBQ, ribs were off the hook last time i was there)
the Diner (greasy spoon breakfast joint, classic)
Tarahumara (better than average Tex-Mex--chile colorado is excellent)

Last edited:
If I were going to Norman today, I'd head over to Campus Corner and soak up the scene.
Get on your way to grab a burrito at FreeBirds: 750 Asp Ave

Then at 3:00 park yourself on a bar stool at O,Connell's pub (769 Asp) and get drunk, very, very drunk. When people give you grief, remind them which team has scoreboard.

my mom remarried a guy who lives in Norman. i'm there a couple times a year.

good places to eat:

Misal's (surprisingly good Indian restaurant).
Brothers (Norman's campus bar version of the Sink: good burger and fries_
O'Connell's (good burger and fries)
Bob's (good BBQ, ribs were off the hook last time i was there)
the Diner (greasy spoon breakfast joint, classic)
Tarahumara (better than average Tex-Mex--chile colorado is excellent)

Bob's is no longer called "Bobs." There is still a BBQ place in Sooner Legends hotel, it is just no longer called "Bobs." That being said, there are several BBQ places in Norman that are much better eating. Rudy's and Van's Pig Stand are better.

The best game-day environment in Norman is campus corner. Good shops, good suds, good food. Walk from campus corner down through campus and down to O'Connell's (SE corner of the stadium) and you will have experienced the best of Norman's gameday.

i've been to Van's. didn't think it was "all that". before Bob's non-existed i thought they had better ribs. now, when my mom first remarried and the new husband (who is a good guy, but not as cool crazy as my Dad....but better for moms.) took me to someplace called Beasley's BBQ out on highway 8/9 (?) that was by Lake Thunderbird......unreal BBQ brisket. this was in the early 90's. i really didn't want to like the guy, he's an OU donor....and he's not my dad....but the guy knows BBQ and he's good for my mom. pretty cool guy really. he bought me a car when i was going to Norman High....before college.

Favorite bar in Norman is The Library. Crowd is "just after college age" so you can avoid most of the commotion on a game day.

But if you want a nasty hole in the wall beer joint there is also The Deli. ****ing stinks in there but the people are great and the beer is cold.

NM, there used to be an 'ol timey ice-cream parlor and diner' up on 10th, north of downtown OKC. I haven't been there for 3-4 years (oooh 2005, 5 years?!!) but it's a good place to visit.

Braum's is good regional hamburger chain, starting as a dairy outlet and expanding in a diner, then mostly a burger joint with a dairy mini-mart section. If you can find their German Choco Cake ice-cream, it's worth a few scoops.

OKC has some good ma-n-pa hole-in-the-wall cafes, and I prefer those than the chains. So that means "explore". OKC is fairly easy to get around because the street numbering is generally consistent. Drive 180 blocks and you're in the 180th Street area, in other words.

Bates itself - er, sorry - NORMAN - is almost all chains. I bet they have a few ma-n-pa shops left. Somewhere. OKC's would probably be easier to find AND less crowded, so you might spend less time driving and searching than standing and waiting.

I was born in OKC & have family in OKC and I haven't been there in awhile. I really wish I made the trip this year since it will be the last time CU plays OU for awhile but I don't think it will be the last time CU plays OU.

I love the ribs when I visit OKC...they really do know their ribs.

Agree on everyone's choices. I'll be there drunk as ****, im actualllly drunk ash **** right now. Black and gold painted face, cu hoodie, giant buffalo hat. Boosh.

OSU girls are mucho superiorto. OU girls seem to have more homely types for whatever reason.

i've heard the talent overfloweth in norman. any truth to this statement NM?

There are some hotties as with most big universities, but it wasn't unreal. Their top talent can compete with any other university though.

Trip report:

We got to Norman about 6:30pm or so since my brother doesn't like the whole CFB thing. We only really had time to grab a really quick bite and head into the stadium. I was impressed by their version of the Hill. In fact, it was better than the Hill. That sucks to say, but the city of Boulder has ruined the Hill.

I loved their stadium. There was a lot of energy and electricity in the air even when they were playing against a **** CU team. Loud and proud and they didn't give me any grief (although I *do* love that). I won't miss the Big 12, but it was a pleasure going and seeing one of the best stadiums with a rich history in CFB. I consider OU to be the most storied program in CFB so it was nice to see how it's really done. Now I just need to go to an SEC game. Too bad they are too tied to Texas because they hate Texas even more than New Mexicans and Colorado combined. The CU section cheered very loudly when they showed Baylor beating Texas and I heard an OU fan behind me say "Wow, they hate Texas just as much as we do."

Great fans and a great team. Their band played the CU Fight song at the intro. Thank you Sooners. They also position the visitor section such that you don't hear that blasted Boomer Sooner song every 3 minutes, so thank you very much again!

When I went to Texas last year, well, let's just say their fans suck. ****ty gameday experience. I'll go back to a Sooner's game long before I went to a Longhorn's game. The Longhorns played the CU Alum song, but no one knows that and even then it felt very contrived. They also weren't very loud and their fans knew nothing of the game or their history. While football is as much a cultural thing in Texas as it is in Oklahoma, I can't say a single bad thing about the Sooners.

Bye to our Big 8 foes. It was a great ride, but we are on to newer things! If we play in Norman in the upcoming years, I'll definitely go back. I may even go back to a game if I visit my brother when they are playing someone else.

Agree with most everything,NM! Points I'd argue: 1) I don't think college corner is even in the same discussion as the hill. Maybe I just don't get it, but, nothing spectacular at all. 2) the stadiums huge and impressive but I think the buzz is eerily similar to a pro atmosphere. Not my cup of tea.
Fans were cool (especially some kid that inquired of my buff gear if I was a "d-bag for Halloween". Brilliant!!). Think most were sympathetic more than anything.
Also dug their band playing our fight song. Cool experience, score not withstanding.

Agree with most everything,NM! Points I'd argue: 1) I don't think college corner is even in the same discussion as the hill. Maybe I just don't get it, but, nothing spectacular at all. 2) the stadiums huge and impressive but I think the buzz is eerily similar to a pro atmosphere. Not my cup of tea.
Fans were cool (especially some kid that inquired of my buff gear if I was a "d-bag for Halloween". Brilliant!!). Think most were sympathetic more than anything.
Also dug their band playing our fight song. Cool experience, score not withstanding.

Their "Hill" is great for tailgating and has a lot of stores and bars in it. Ours isn't used for pre-game purposes. The Hill as the entire area as a whole is better, but on gamedays I'd have to give campus corner a must while I would only eat at the Sink at ours.

He sounds like a cool guy. Normally you can't get an OU donor to buy you a car before college unless you're a 5* recruit.... :lol:

that's an excellent point. i never thought about it....he is a donor, maybe he's got practice buying cars?

Back