What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

In state recruiting

Nope

I'm a homer.:bounce:

Heh. Good answer.

I just think his quote was pretty harmless toward the new coaching staff because he has not had as much interaction as he did with the former staff just yet. That should change as we have already offered his TE (Mitchell Parsons), only our second in-state offer for 2013.

Guess I do not understand why you automatically assume Vogt is making self-serving comments. He has had interactions with Embree and other staff members due to his players actually being offered/recruited by CU over the last several years.
If so it makes his statement even more confusing. My possibly incorrect opinion is that he put a "they ignore in-state kids" statement into the Denver Post in order to, one, make himself look good to other in-state coaches, two, to make himself look good to his players, and three, to send some sort of throw down message to CU and CSU. Yeah, I think it was self serving. Damned straight. Otherwise he could have phrased it totally differently.

Last edited:
Sigh. He clearly said the previous staff blew the state off. Which CO high school would come out and say they are impressed with CU and CSU over the past five years when it comes to in-state recruiting? I guess some good old-fashioned coachspeak where nothing is actually said would make you happier. Honesty sucks!

Sigh. He clearly said the previous staff blew the state off. Which CO high school would come out and say they are impressed with CU and CSU over the past five years when it comes to in-state recruiting? I guess some good old-fashioned coachspeak where nothing is actually said would make you happier. Honesty sucks!
The guy's a putz and he'll pay for his disrespect. Real or imagined:rofl:

This is crazy. Henderson is doing his job. He's not a PR guy from the university. He's a reporter that goes out and reports and writes stories. What positive has he had to write about the last eight years?
This is a fair story to me. Neither school has recruited the state well in the past five years. This is nothing new.
You guys sound like sour parents that always say "you should at least write they tried hard."

You're right. Henderson's job is to stir things up to get attention. That's the type of "journalist" he is and it is why the DP hired him. I choose not to read the DP (partly because of him).

I don't expect every local journalist to be a cheerleader. But Henderson does have a record of going the other way to go intentionally negative on CU. I believe he also wore an Oregon sweatshirt to Embree's presser this year ahead of the Duck game. (This was after Embo blasted him for wearing red in Dal Ward earlier in the year.)

**** henderson.

I will never support the DP as long as he and kiz are working there. There are sooo many other outlets to get stories and information about the Buffs, good and bad, but mostly without the agenda.

You're right. Henderson's job is to stir things up to get attention. That's the type of "journalist" he is and it is why the DP hired him. I choose not to read the DP (partly because of him).

I don't expect every local journalist to be a cheerleader. But Henderson does have a record of going the other way to go intentionally negative on CU. I believe he also wore an Oregon sweatshirt to Embree's presser this year ahead of the Duck game. (This was after Embo blasted him for wearing red in Dal Ward earlier in the year.)

You are correct. Henderson has made a career out of being an A-hole. He actually doesn't like college sports that much in general I don't think. He was origionally hired by the post as a writer for outdoor activities such as fishing, skiing, etc. With the contraction of the newpaper staffs he was given a choice of write college sports or find a different job. He now splits time between the sports department and writing about food and travel.

He also has never missed an opportunity to slam or instigate against CU. He never ceases to bring up the "scandal," he revels in CU losses and keeps a low profile when CU wins.

Nobody expects him to be a CU cheerleader or mouthpiece. This isn't Lincoln NE where the media puts out what they are told or get denied access.

What should be expected is at least objective reporting. His job is as a reporter, not a columnist, and thus is to be reasonably fair and accurate. In addition it would follow that working in Colorado he would at least look for the positive slant on the Colorado school with the biggest local following instead of trying to put them down.

Kizla is an assclown but he has a job that allows that, he is a columnist. The job of a columnist is to get people to read you and to generate some emotion one way or the other. Some are way better at this than others. Woody (like him or not) works hard at it and at one time or another will manage to get a rise out of almost everyone, he will also draw you into things emotionally by finding a hidden story are a different angle that makes you see the human side of a story.

Henderson needs to be removed from sports entirely. Let him cover his travel, his food, etc. Let him cover the dogcatcher beat if you need to but get him out of college football.

And you haven't read a thing I've said other than what you want to hear. I wrote that he knew that those guys are no longer here and should know that Embree has been working hard in-state. Rather than rip the former staff in an article about this year's recruiting he should, rather, have acknowledged the current staff's efforts.And, yeah, he may have done that only to have Henderson conviently leave it out. If so, he should let Henderson have it. But I'm sick and tired of people, in everything from politics to international affairs to sports, constantly holding current administrations accountable for the past. Either he was stupid to trust Henderson or he should have spoken to what is going on now. That is what the context of the column was about.

Henderson? Honesty? Sure, his research told him that in-state recruiting this year has failed but excuse me if I don't put henderson and honesty in the same sentence. He made it out to be negative toward cu. He's one of many who despise football in colorado and do nothing to promote it.

Bottom line Embree known to be a recruiter went 0-6 on the instate guys. You want to whine about the idiot writers fine but it doesn't change the fact we went 0-6.

If you can't get the top instate guys to commit not sure how you are going to land top recruits from outside the state.

Bottom line Embree known to be a recruiter went 0-6 on the instate guys. You want to whine about the idiot writers fine but it doesn't change the fact we went 0-6.

If you can't get the top instate guys to commit not sure how you are going to land top recruits from outside the state.

That assumes the instate guys are worth a ****.....who knows. Give Jon the benefit of the doubt (for at least three years).

This is crazy. Henderson is doing his job. He's not a PR guy from the university. He's a reporter that goes out and reports and writes stories. What positive has he had to write about the last eight years?
This is a fair story to me. Neither school has recruited the state well in the past five years. This is nothing new.
You guys sound like sour parents that always say "you should at least write they tried hard."

:doh: ...I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree with this post. This article could have been okay - CU and CSU have struck out on CO talent, and the former regimes did not make too many inroads with in-state coaches. However, the article failed to mention why the programs struggled, where the coaches chose to target recruits and why, etc. Chaparral's HC in the article just slams the former staff, but why wasn't he asked about Harris at CU? (Harris did go there right?). The article had potential to state the news, provide interesting facts, compile quotes in response to decent questions, and provide a good read.

Instead, it sucked. Why? Because Henderson sucks. Have you read him over the years??...I really don't think you have. John Henderson and Mark Kiszla are horrible writers, and it amazes me that they have jobs. In fact, the older I get, the less and less respect I have for some journalists. Many (I'm not saying most, but there's a good amount of them) are not good writers, aren't objective in their news presentation, and seem to be more preoccupied about their pathetic celebrity than actual news. News itself is sort of annoying, as it seems more entertainment at times than just the plain, objective facts. But my personal rant aside - Henderson has been a horrible sports writer for years. This article is another example of how horrific he is...way to **** up an article.

Just like how I question Bohn due to his hires, I question the DP bosses/editors/etc who not just hire, but keep around these assholes. They're not good writers...there HAS to be better talent out there...right?

I apologize, I'll try to be more critical of all things involving cu football from now on.:lol:

0-6 IS FACT. Henderson is a CU hating POS..FACT

Embree has to rebuild relationships that the old staff ruined. It's going to take time. We're not like Texas or Florida that has the foundation of the team from the home state.

Embree has to rebuild relationships that the old staff ruined. It's going to take time. We're not like Texas or Florida that has the foundation of the team from the home state.

Hawk landed Miller, Major, Givens and Kasa. All were heavily recruited by the major powers

If the administration did the right thing and fired Hawk after the 09 season, we might have not gone 0-10 in 2010 instate and at least we would have done better in 11 and 12 with a new staff

Again CU ineptitude screws the program and set it back another 2 years. Thanks Distephano and Bohn. Great job:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hawk landed Miller, Major, Givens and Kasa. All were heavily recruited by the major powers

If the administration did the right thing and fired Hawk after the 09 season, we might have not gone 0-10 in 2010 instate and at least we would have done better in 11 and 12 with a new staff

Again CU ineptitude screws the program and set it back another 2 years. Thanks Distephano and Bohn. Great job:thumbsup:

I don't think not getting the Colorado kids is going to set us back two years if that's what you're getting at.

I don't think not getting the Colorado kids is going to set us back two years if that's what you're getting at.

Not getting the Colorado kids and not getting AQ quality athletes from other states did set us back two years.

This season it was shocking to see how many of our players on the field were both smaller and slower and weaker than their counterparts on our opponents. Hawks last couple of classes included a bunch of kids who had no business being recruited to what was then a Big XII school.

I'm not calling out any of the regulars on this board. This is preaching to the choir.

But the collective Front Range needs to get it's ass in gear and support some big boy college ball.

Embree can go no farther than his supporters will take him.

The citizens of Colorado shape the priorities of elected officials. The Colorado voters pick who serve on the board of regents, in the state house, in the counties, municipalities and within the school districts. CU politics is a state and local issue. Draw some lines on the Broncos centric media saturation. Demand the local media tip the coverage towards boosterism. Kick the carpet-bagging B1G an B12 sympathizers to the curb and let the glory of Colorado be heard. Find out which candidates have a CU degree and let them know it's unacceptable for a proud state like Colorado to field football teams that dwell in the basement of their conferences.

Get out to the local HS games and wear CU gear. Adorn those vehicles with Ralphie logos. Fill the football stadiums at all levels with fans and coaches who have the BnG in their veins and logos on their shirts. Plant seeds in the heads of grade school and junior high school kids that Boulder is not just an option, but a dream come true.

We out of state alum can't fix the structural issues with the legislature or the Denver-Boulder media and development of the local culture. The best we can do is buy the tickets and make the donations and send CU our kids from California, Texas and other fertile out of state recruiting grounds. But the lack of big time Colorado kids going to CU is an issue from inside the 303 area code. And it's not all on Embree and his coaches. The Front Range can and should help carry the flag and pave the road from the living room sofas of high school kids to the locker room at Dal Ward. Give Embree a kid who dreams of playing in Boulder and help make Embree's job a little easier. Shoulder to shoulder.

Go Buffs.

Not getting the Colorado kids and not getting AQ quality athletes from other states did set us back two years.

This season it was shocking to see how many of our players on the field were both smaller and slower and weaker than their counterparts on our opponents. Hawks last couple of classes included a bunch of kids who had no business being recruited to what was then a Big XII school.
I agree about not getting AQ players and the AQ players we got, widely did not remain at CU. I don't know though how pivotal some of those in-state kids would have been. Who are some big misses? I can only think of the linemen at ASU and Aguilar at UW.

:doh: ...I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree with this post. This article could have been okay - CU and CSU have struck out on CO talent, and the former regimes did not make too many inroads with in-state coaches. However, the article failed to mention why the programs struggled, where the coaches chose to target recruits and why, etc. Chaparral's HC in the article just slams the former staff, but why wasn't he asked about Harris at CU? (Harris did go there right?). The article had potential to state the news, provide interesting facts, compile quotes in response to decent questions, and provide a good read.

Instead, it sucked. Why? Because Henderson sucks. Have you read him over the years??...I really don't think you have. John Henderson and Mark Kiszla are horrible writers, and it amazes me that they have jobs. In fact, the older I get, the less and less respect I have for some journalists. Many (I'm not saying most, but there's a good amount of them) are not good writers, aren't objective in their news presentation, and seem to be more preoccupied about their pathetic celebrity than actual news. News itself is sort of annoying, as it seems more entertainment at times than just the plain, objective facts. But my personal rant aside - Henderson has been a horrible sports writer for years. This article is another example of how horrific he is...way to **** up an article.

Just like how I question Bohn due to his hires, I question the DP bosses/editors/etc who not just hire, but keep around these assholes. They're not good writers...there HAS to be better talent out there...right?
It's pretty simple Duke, he's a :rip:cornholio:rip: sucking firmly on henderson's left testicle.

:doh: ...I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree with this post. This article could have been okay - CU and CSU have struck out on CO talent, and the former regimes did not make too many inroads with in-state coaches. However, the article failed to mention why the programs struggled, where the coaches chose to target recruits and why, etc. Chaparral's HC in the article just slams the former staff, but why wasn't he asked about Harris at CU? (Harris did go there reight?). The article had potential to state the news, provide interesting facts, compile quotes in response to decent questions, and provide a good read.

Just like how I question Bohn due to his hires, I question the DP bosses/editors/etc who not just hire, but keep around these assholes. They're not good writers...there HAS to be better talent out there...right?[/

Could not agree more. Guy sucks, knows it, and writes this crap just to get people pissed off and hopefully, for him, to get more hits on his drivel, thus staying employed which never ceases to amaze me that he still is.

Who cares what Jon Vogt says? At his previous job at West Canaan, his team went on a Dawson-led mutiny after he tried to make his RB take a pain-killing shot to play on an injured knee. Plus he only let the white kids score TDs. I lost all respect for that a-hole Vogt after that. Oh, and also when he sent that giant anaconda after poor Ice Cube and J-Lo.

Yes...and that's why it's frustrating to have read Henderson's base article. He fails to mention Miller, Major, Givens, Kasa, Orms, Harris, Perkins...Why didn't Henderson interview these players about the former regime and their recruitment? Why didn't Henderson interview the coaches of these players about Hawk's staff regarding these players? Why didn't Henderson ask about the players Hawk went after but lost out on? Why didn't Henderson ask the questions that could lead to potential reasons why CU and CSU are not winning battle for in-state HS talent?

Why? Because Henderson sucks. He's just awful. It's weird...he has a fluffy piece about Dinwiddie today. My CU bias makes me want to like the article (I do appreciate reading some interesting things about Dinwiddie), but the article is itself is nothing special. He only had to interview a few people, so it doesn't show any stellar journalistic acumen. The writing isn't that good...sort of too flowery at times in my opinion. So...even when his editor tells him to write a pro-CU article, his writing still sucks. Henderson sucks. He doesn't follow sports closely enough to really ask good questions, or he's just an idiot that's incapable of thinking critically.

...I will say though that I think Kizsla is worse...

I take a few trips back to the front range every year. I don't waste time reeading the Denver Post sports writers. They're worthless.

Yes...and that's why it's frustrating to have read Henderson's base article. He fails to mention Miller, Major, Givens, Kasa, Orms, Harris, Perkins...Why didn't Henderson interview these players about the former regime and their recruitment? Why didn't Henderson interview the coaches of these players about Hawk's staff regarding these players? Why didn't Henderson ask about the players Hawk went after but lost out on? Why didn't Henderson ask the questions that could lead to potential reasons why CU and CSU are not winning battle for in-state HS talent?

Why? Because Henderson sucks. He's just awful. It's weird...he has a fluffy piece about Dinwiddie today. My CU bias makes me want to like the article (I do appreciate reading some interesting things about Dinwiddie), but the article is itself is nothing special. He only had to interview a few people, so it doesn't show any stellar journalistic acumen. The writing isn't that good...sort of too flowery at times in my opinion. So...even when his editor tells him to write a pro-CU article, his writing still sucks. Henderson sucks. He doesn't follow sports closely enough to really ask good questions, or he's just an idiot that's incapable of thinking critically.

...I will say though that I think Kizsla is worse...

Part of why Henderson sucks is that he really doesn't like college sports. As I wrote in a different thread he came to the post to write about outdoor activities (fishing, skiing, etc.) and was pushed into what he writes now by the shrinking of the staff. I think that part of what we see is his resentment of not writing what he wants to.

Kiszla is a flipping jerk. He got thrown out of the Rockies locker room for digging around in Dante Bichette's private stuff and has more than once been nailed for writing sutff that turns out to be completely false.

That all said Henderson is way worse for one reason. Henderson is supposed to be a reporter. He is supposed to provide objective information to the reader. Kizla is a columnist, his job is to provoke an emotional response in the reader by a combination of fact and opinion. The fact that we hate him means he is getting an emotional response. Unfortunately Kisla is a lazy assed excuse for a mediocre columnist and has figured out that rather than try to find a new or different angle to provoke the response he can just keep hitting the same "let's piss off the local fans" button.

Probably everyone who reads him regularly has been mad at Woody Paige at one time because he provokes those responses as well. Kisla would be well served to look at Woody though because Woody also works hard enough (and is talented enough) to write columns that can suck you in and make you interested in something that you would never have thought of. Woody writes columns about kids at little high schools who will never be a college player, about fans with unique stories, about players who for good or bad reasons shouldn't be playing, etc.

I don't know who at the post likes Henderson but I have to think they could replace him with a better writer without a problem but he manages to keep his job.

Local writers will continue to write stuff like this until it becomes unattractive for them to do so. This kind of stuff will end once CU has a stadium that holds more than Invesco, and consistently fills it. That's a long, long ways off. The proposed expansion to 65K is going to help, but I honestly hope there are long range plans in place to jump over the 76K mark. You can't, as a sports writer, write negative stuff about a team that out-draws every other team in the state and hope to stay employed for very long. That's the task we have ahead of us. If we want to silence dipshits like Henderson, we need to do a better job of filling Folsom.

Local writers will continue to write stuff like this until it becomes unattractive for them to do so. This kind of stuff will end once CU has a stadium that holds more than Invesco, and consistently fills it. That's a long, long ways off. The proposed expansion to 65K is going to help, but I honestly hope there are long range plans in place to jump over the 76K mark. You can't, as a sports writer, write negative stuff about a team that out-draws every other team in the state and hope to stay employed for very long. That's the task we have ahead of us. If we want to silence dipshits like Henderson, we need to do a better job of filling Folsom.
I'm a first time season ticket holder. I got a stadium seat for Christmas and just put down $200 for next year. CU football is an entertainment bargain!

You could argue about sports writers and the Post all day.
I think the thing that gets caught up is what realistic expectations should be for this program. This place is a gold mine, but is years away from competing in the Pac-12. That's a problem of the entire institution and education system in Colorado. I hope the best for Embree and really want him to get the job done. I think he can recruit. I think the staff can recruit. But in today's college football landscape it's becoming harder and harder for good ole CU to compete.

Bottom line. Give Embree five years. See if he indeed can recruit and turn things around.

Back