What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

In the era of up-tempo offenses...

Duff Man

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
Why do coaches continue to look stupid by not snapping the ball quickly enough after questionable plays in their favor? Are college coaches ever going to learn basic playcalling?

A stupid ? but can you snap the ball before the OL are lined up properly and just take a penalty?

Edit: Or do the referees not whistle until you're lined up properly?

Last edited:
I saw a game this year where the snapped the ball, ran a play, and then the review came in for the previous play. I believe that after the review, they counted the result of the play that the team got in. I don't know if the refs handled that correctly by rule or if they were just winging it after the booth officials called down late and told them they wanted to review the play.

I saw a game this year where the snapped the ball, ran a play, and then the review came in for the previous play. I believe that after the review, they counted the result of the play that the team got in. I don't know if the refs handled that correctly by rule or if they were just winging it after the booth officials called down late and told them they wanted to review the play.

Pretty sure that is against the rules. Once the ball is snapped and a new play has started, the refs can no longer review the previous play.

Had the Buffs snapped the ball a bit more quickly on DD Goodson's catch at OSU then it would have counted.

I've seen refs review a play after the next play was snapped. It happens.

I've seen refs review a play after the next play was snapped. It happens.

Only if they blow it dead in time. The rules state that once the next play occurs, the previous play is no longer reviewable. Won't say that this hasn't been wiggled around a bit, but I think they have to basically show that they whistled the play dead prior to the snap.

Pretty sure that is against the rules. Once the ball is snapped and a new play has started, the refs can no longer review the previous play.

Had the Buffs snapped the ball a bit more quickly on DD Goodson's catch at OSU then it would have counted.

I believe you are correct. The DD review was awful mechanics by the refs. The ball had been snapped with no whistle and the play had started for a couple seconds when it was blown dead.

Sent from a red light

One of the reasons oregon does so well. They truly run a up tempo offense. They line up and snap the ball so fast, just like you said Duff. The refs are even in hurry up mode, to get the ball down and the play clock rolling - their offense is usually waiting on the ref.

One of the reasons oregon does so well. They truly run a up tempo offense. They line up and snap the ball so fast, just like you said Duff. The refs are even in hurry up mode, to get the ball down and the play clock rolling - their offense is usually waiting on the ref.
Kind of like WE did in the last two series v Oregon st. The beavers were running around like headless chickens and getting called for off sides and too many men on the filed. WHY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S GOOD AN HOLY don't we do that all the time? We were snapping the ball with 28 seconds left on the play clock.
*and don't tell me we've run uptempo AT ALL this year. They even had a blurb at the beginning of the OSU game showing that CU was #12 in the Pac 12, and like #100 overall, in the amount of time it takes them to snap the ball this season.

Kind of like WE did in the last two series v Oregon st. The beavers were running around like headless chickens and getting called for off sides and too many men on the filed. WHY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S GOOD AN HOLY don't we do that all the time? We were snapping the ball with 28 seconds left on the play clock.
*and don't tell me we've run uptempo AT ALL this year. They even had a blurb at the beginning of the OSU game showing that CU was #12 in the Pac 12, and like #100 overall, in the amount of time it takes them to snap the ball this season.
Probably because that was against a 2nd and 3rd team defense

To answer the OP, cause the refs will just blow a play dead if they want to. :bang:

To me a true up tempo offense you do everything fast. As soon as the whistle blows you JOG back to the line of scrimmage and get set then snap the ball...that is what wears out a defense, especially the big guys.

To many teams seem to think up tempo means get lined up and go through all your check downs and audibles till the play clock is at 5 then snap the ball. That is great if you are killing the clock. Otherwise you are giving the defense an opportunity to adjust and catch their breath.

Remember the old Earl Campbell days? Man that seemed like eternity...for him to get up and as soon as he got back to his position (forever) then they would snap the ball.

Back